Do you think there will be a second wave?

CLENK88

Midfield
There’s so many conflicting forecasts and predictions out there on the whole second wave scenario, I just wondered what people’s own views were and if there is, when do you think it will be?

Think it's almost certain there'll be further localised peaks. A wave across the country I'm not so sure of. If I had to bet I'd say no. Hopefully enough people continue to take simple preventative measures and the testing continues for a while yet so peaks are found and people adapt their behaviours when needed.

Reading some posts on here makes my confidence wane though.

Last edited:
There’s so many conflicting forecasts and predictions out there on the whole second wave scenario, I just wondered what people’s own views were and if there is, when do you think it will be?
Come the winter we will be riddled. It thrives in the cold, look at the meat processing factory outbreaks around the world...

Think it will come back strongly in winter. Hopefully not before then as I want what's left of the cricket season to happen without interruption

I did think the opening of the pubs would be problematic, and a catalyst for the second wave to start, but I am now less confident of that. The reproduction number of the virus is low and new cases are low. I'm not sure how we'd see a sustained rise in the number of cases without government action.

If we're going to prevent a second wave though, it's going to require social distancing for at least the rest of the year.

It's imperative we control seasonal influenza and improve on our flu vaccination rates. We cannot afford to be battling pandemics on two fronts, because winter may well make it easier for COVID to spread.

Think it's almost certain there'll be further localised peaks. A wave across the country I'm not so sure of. If I had to bet I'd say no. Hopefully enough people continue to take simple preventative measures and the testing continues for a while yet so peaks are found and people adapt their behaviours when needed.

Reading some posts on here makes my confidence wane though.
This!
I did think the opening of the pubs would be problematic, and a catalyst for the second wave to start, but I am now less confident of that. The reproduction number of the virus is low and new cases are low. I'm not sure how we'd see a sustained rise in the number of cases without government action.

If we're going to prevent a second wave though, it's going to require social distancing for at least the rest of the year.

It's imperative we control seasonal influenza and improve on our flu vaccination rates. We cannot afford to be battling pandemics on two fronts, because winter may well make it easier for COVID to spread.
That!
no there will be a new virus. ala kazakstan american bio weapon thats already happening.
And the other!

Yes and because most people will have dropped their guard, it could even be worse next time, I can't see any way the country will find the money for furlough, we should be told what will happen financially next time, it might make enough people think about how important following social distancing is, it might make people wear masks and really do whatever we can to reduce the risk of catching it, the current thought for many is it's mild, you don't even know you have it and that combined with winter coming it is going to cause a hell of a lot of Deaths and disabilities in my opinion.

I think any 2nd wave will be much milder. It seems to have started to fizzle out. I think a 2nd wave may be closer to a cold than something deadly.

This is based on nowt but my own conjecture mind.

If it's still circulating in 3 months times it's only going to increase significantly through Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb

Difficult to see anything other than an uptick in Q4

The idea of mass usage of commuter trains/ buses without an effective tracing app just seems rediculousl

Back