Do you love England?

I didn’t imply that at all. I said that people shouldn’t be allowed to post dangerous fake news about COVID.
You compared playing down the severity of Covid 19 to racism and homophobia. You then stereotyped middle aged Englishmen who had patriotic feelings about their country in a derogatory way. This is just as racist as saying young black men are likely to be criminals.

I was stood atop an old coal house in Horden's numbered streets and thought I could have been born in a Delhi slum or Rochefort-en-Terre and would still have wondered what anyone did to deserve living in a shit hole like this.

On the other hand, escaping to unspoiled beaches in Northumberland, clambering around the Lakes, cycling through the Malverns or hang gliding over the Downs helps me appreciate the upside to living in England and then there's Wales and Scotland too.

It's a bit overcrowded though living in the NE alleviates that a bit. I might prefer Scotland if the weather wasn't even shitter than here.

On the whole though - it's canny.

If you’re English I suppose most of us here are. There’s a lot of people that seem to be doom mongers and love to slag off anything about this country. I don’t really want this to be a negative thread so I’ll leave it at that but yesterday I was stood up Helvellyn looking over the lakes and thought how lucky I am. Could have been born in Diepsloot or some slum village in Djibouti. All the music we have, scenery, wealth, power internationally, sport, history. We’ve done alight for a tiny island really.

Anyway it’s a great place I think. Other than being minted and born in the Caribbean I reckon I’m pretty lucky to be English.
Yes

It’s not a bad place to be at all. Sat cruising up the river Yare yesterday with the boy and it was fantastic. Helps massively if you appreciate the outdoors like but plenty to see and do. Spending a lot of time away you start to appreciate things a bit more, in my experience anyway.

Shame about my football team but nvm. Can’t have it all.

On the other hand, escaping to unspoiled beaches in Northumberland, clambering around the Lakes, cycling through the Malverns or hang gliding over the Downs helps me appreciate the upside to living in England and then there's Wales and Scotland too.
Someone posted safe, as a single word earlier in the thread. I’ve been to plenty countries where you stick to well known, well lit areas. You have armed guards at cash points, all houses have bars on windows and big fences and you take a risk straying too far outside tourist zones. In the UK it is safe to go pretty much anywhere, to walk about late at night, to head of the beaten track and do all the things you said.

It is so hot at the moment, even at night, I could seriously consider jumping on my bike now and heading off for a few days, kipping down wherever, etc. Grief from work, wife and no pubs open for tea takes the shine of it, but in theory I could. There are loads of countries where you can’t.

The North East is a great place and I have laid roots and settled here. It’s an amazing place with warm friendly people. I do not feel any connection whatsoever to the rest of England.

I have no particular love of England. I was born here, but grew up in several other countries, and I've continued to travel throughout my adult life.

I appreciate the sense of security here: the ability to walk in most places without fear; being able to deal with the police or other authorities without the shadow of corruption; being able to rely on the water and electricity supply.

However, I much prefer the sense of community I had when I lived in Spain, especially during the near-monthly fiestas. I prefer the African wilds to the patchwork of pesticide-controlled mono-cultures of the English countryside. I prefer the design and architecture of Scandinavia. I prefer the inventive integration of technology into daily life that you find in South Korea or Singapore.

Love it. There’s a lot of diversity in the landscapes across England and Britain to appreciate. The lakes, moors, coastlines and countryside’s, peaks etc.

Temperate climate. Geologically sound, Lovely lump of land.

The people can be absolute khunts though but that’s the same for humans the world over.

We have a long and varied history as many other do and we should not judge our past by the morals of those born today.

Back