Do you like spicy food?

In India itself they don’t recognise many of the names we have for curries over here.

I’ve been to 4 different places in India and yet to have anything I would consider really spicy despite asking for it to be hot. One lad I worked with in Chennai (madras) took up the challenge and got his chef to make me some spicy food at home and brought it in. At lunchtime loads of people came to watch me eat it expecting me to combust. It was no more than a jalfrezi over here, but I hammed it up for him as he’d gone to the trouble

I must say though that the food in India is so delicious that is has put me off the stuff over here, which is mainly Bangladeshi, so much so that if we have an Indian take away I’ll get my grub from the Chinese*

* yes I do see the irony but haven’t been to China yet

Some of the stuff in Sri Lanka was fairly hot. Vegetable curry for breakfast got a bit tedious though. Was clamming for a bacon sarnie.

The name given to a curry should reflect the flavour, not the heat.

Unfortunately, this seems to have escaped the notice of many Indian restaurants, takeaways and their customers!

Therefore, it should be possible to order a mild Vindaloo or a searing hot Korma.
Great one in Leeds called Corner Cafe does that, range of curries and 5 or 6 different heats to choose. Fantastic breads too, probably the best curry I've had Corner Cafe Indian Restaurant Leeds

Last edited:
I spent a week in India on business a few years ago - the food was amazing but not necessarily fiery hot, just full of flavour. First thing I ate when I got back to the UK was a burger and it had no taste at all.

If you ever get in Chinese supermarkets they have jars of red chilli and garlic in oil.. Superb but highly addictive, I cant eat a stew, soup, mince or even an omelette without it these days..
Its great though cos you can cook mild food for the family and then just spice yours up, the food takes up the spice heat really well as if it had been cooked in.

Last edited:
Love it , especially Thai food which give a different sort of ‘heat’

Currywise tend to stick to the medium selections as I think a restaurant vindaloo would mean I couldn’t actually taste the dish itself but we regularly have authentic vindaloo at home which is more about the spicing than chilli heat

I made some mango and scotch bonnet sauce a while ago and that is delicious on tacos etc to bring some taste and heat but not at the expense of taste

I like spicy bait, but the hottest Indian I can do is a madras- any more than that and it's just heat for heat's sake and ruins the taste

Jalfrezi for me.

Got addicted to the proper piri piri sauce in Portugal and ended up putting it on most meals :oops:

There is a strangely British machismo re having a "curry" with the lads. Curries, especially British Indian ones, are usually full of fat which soaks up alcohol in the system. So not macho at all. In my opinion most of the best hot dishes, such as papaya or mango salad, aren't curries and are usually healthier too!

There is a strangely British machismo re having a "curry" with the lads. Curries, especially British Indian ones, are usually full of fat which soaks up alcohol in the system. So not macho at all. In my opinion most of the best hot dishes, such as papaya or mango salad, aren't curries and are usually healthier too!

I can't stand papaya salad, it's like eating straw imho.

Also, eat what you want not to be a big man

I couldn't agree more.

The name given to a curry should reflect the flavour, not the heat.

Unfortunately, this seems to have escaped the notice of many Indian restaurants, takeaways and their customers!

Therefore, it should be possible to order a mild Vindaloo or a searing hot Korma.
Spice Tandoori in Thurso do this. For anyone who happens to be staying overnight up there, I’d highly recommend this place.

I am ridiculous with it ! and it's getting worse the older I get......
rarely do I have a tea now without some sort of spice in it. I eat vindaloo from the Indian, and it isn't spicy enough. mind, I've NEVER had a meal that I couldn't finish because of the heat
the lads at work think I'm barking ! :lol:

Back