Do you have a door number?

Dave Herbal

Striker
If not, why not? It’s selfish as owt.

Pros: You don’t have to put a number up

Cons: Nobody delivering anything can find your house without counting up from the adjacent houses. Which is a real pain in the arse if there are a few of you ignorant fucks living in a row.
Even more so if you live in no 9, 13 or 15.

I got chucked off the A40 late one night last week, due to road works. I ended up trusting the satnav to negotiate endless country lanes until I could back on track again. At one point I drove through a very long village, and the houses were all set back off the road. They’d nearly all got house numbers though placed on short posts by their gates. It was well weird seeing them all glowing in the dark as I drove past, but it definitely made sense. Visitors, or ambulances etc could easily pick the right one out in the darkness.

No. House name instead.
My kids only have a house name. Most of the houses around them have the same too. It does cause confusion with deliveries sometimes though.

Last edited:
We have a house name as does most in the village of about 170 houses. A delivery persons nightmare it is.
However, CORNWALL council do an interactive mapping where you put in a postcode and it lists the property at that postcode. Pick the one you want and it puts a blue cross on the map.

If not, why not? It’s selfish as owt.

Pros: You don’t have to put a number up

Cons: Nobody delivering anything can find your house without counting up from the adjacent houses. Which is a real pain in the arse if there are a few of you ignorant fucks living in a row.
Even more so if you live in no 9, 13 or 15.

its worse when you have something to deliver and have the street name and name of house. sometimes a village will be like that. Dalton le dale for example. lovely village with very nice people (get to meet them when you have to ask where house is or give the name of the recipient ). I asked one woman where a particular house was, said it was familiar, but could think where it was. Some of the villagers have maps of where houses are. so she looked at the map and it turned out to be her sister in laws about 6 houses up.

as for numbers not a greatish problem but some streets don't have a number 13.

Why 9, 13 or 15 ?
Some streets don’t have a 13.

We have a house name as does most in the village of about 170 houses. A delivery persons nightmare it is.
However, CORNWALL council do an interactive mapping where you put in a postcode and it lists the property at that postcode. Pick the one you want and it puts a blue cross on the map.
Apple/Google maps also knows house numbers now and can usually take to to within one either side, but then you find all three have no number on display.

I got chucked off the A40 late one night last week, due to road works. I ended up trusting the satnav to negotiate endless country lanes until I could back on track again. At one point I drove through a very long village, and the houses were all set back off the road. They’d nearly all got house numbers though placed on short posts by their gates. It was well weird seeing them all glowing in the dark as I drove past, but it definitely made sense. Visitors, or ambulances etc could easily pick the right one out in the darkness.

My kids only have a house name. Most of the houses around them have the same too. It does cause confusion with deliveries sometimes though.

Thats different mind. "Hey, detached bungalow. Make you dad a cup of tea will you ?"

Used to kna a couple who live in Cornwall...Used to love writing their xmas card out ...Pill Creek ..Feock ..Near Truro..Cornwall...sounded amazing place and fella who lived there told me he could take his wheelbarrow down to bottom of garden and catch mackrel in estuary..he would fill up wheelbarrow with the fish and share it around his neighbours..he was in his 70s back then and was so great to be with.Never been to Corneall but it sounded class where he lived..would give North Northumberland a run!!

If you want to call your home a name fill your boots but it shouldn't replace the number for obvious reasons.... f***ing villagers
Love villagers me!!

Back