do you believe the universe...

The one question we will never understand or explain.

We’ve as much chance of being in a test tube of an aliens lab, than we are of a Big Bang or god creating us.
I was either reading something or listening to a podcast a while back and something along those lines came up.. are we an experiment being carried out by a more intelligent species.. ie aliens.. the rationale iirc was . How humans have evolved over time, how our brains have developed from caveman to present day. The comparison given was against other forms of primate.. chimps etc still do largely what they always did, live in the wild pretty much as they always have, fish are still just fish but the human has evolved over time to present day and that evolution has massively eclipsed any other evolution in nature.. In what I’m referring to suggested the human brain has evolved to being 30 times bigger now than 2 million years ago, where other primates have , for the most part stayed the same.

Not my beliefs but certainly provoked some thought

Don’t think there is a god but neither do I think earth and it’s inhabitants are the result of a Big Bang..we were created, but how is way beyond me...

It's own weight

It is accepted that the entire universe is a single quantum field. When microscopic space is examined there is no space and no time but there are virtual particles and their opposites coming into existence and out again constantly. This is called quantum foam. This is the ground state of the universe, a quantum field.

Light behaves as a wave form of infinite potentialities. However, as soon as we observe that wave the act of observation itself causes collapse of that wave function of infinite potentialities until only one remains and we see that as reality and can track the trajectory of a single photon as a particle. We are all doing this all of the time and that allows us to function within the observed reality of this quantum field that is the universe.

However, why are we not as individuals each contained in our own bubble of wave function collapse which would be unique to us and make it impossible for us to communicate with each other as if we were all in our own separate universes. What causes the common ground contained in reality that we share? Therefore, there must be some universal wave function collapse that we all share in and are part of.

The indications are that the universe is inherently cognitive and self-ware at some level.

The Growing Block Theory of Time could support this conclusion.

Last edited:
It is accepted that the entire universe is a single quantum field. When microscopic space is examined there is no space and no time but there are virtual particles and their opposites coming into existence and out again constantly. This is called quantum foam. This is the ground state of the universe, a quantum field.

Light behaves as a wave form of infinite potentialities. However, as soon as we observe that wave the act of observation itself causes collapse of that wave form of infinite potentialities until only one remains and we see that as reality and can track the trajectory of a single photon as a particle. We are all doing this all of the time and that allows us to function within the observed reality of this quantum field that is the universe.

However, why are we not as individuals each contained in our own bubble of wave function collapse which would be unique to us and make it impossible for us to communicate with each other as if we were all in our own separate universe. What causes the common ground contained in reality that we share? Therefore, there must be some universal wave function collapse that we all share in and are part of.

The indications are that the universe is inherently cognitive and self-ware at some level.
Rest yi boring iz now

The universe is not expanding into anything.
There isn't anything outside the universe.
The universe contains all that there is.

But, as it ages, it slows down.
It just takes longer to get between places and that can appear as expansion.

When I was a youth, I could run from Ryhope to Redhouse in about 50 minutes.
In middle age, I'd slowed down and it took me an hour.
In old age it takes me 90 minutes to jog it.
In 10 years time, when I can't run at all, it'll take me 2 hours to walk it.

So the apparent "distance" from Ryhope to Redhouse has increased over time from 50 minutes to 2 hours.
But Sunderland hasn't expanded into what was beyond Sunderland. Ryhope and Redhouse are in the same place.
It just takes me longer to get from one place to another and that can have the appearance of expansion.

In the same way, the universe isn't expanding into anything, it just takes longer to get about as time passes.

Nope. It actually is expanding, with objects moving further away from each other. It's why we know there was a big bang. They know it, and thus essentially rewind it to get to the point of the recognising the bang, with everything in the universe as a singularity. The rate at which its expanding is also how they know the age of it.

Last edited:
Nope. It actually is expanding. It's why we know there was a big bang. They know it is, and thus essentially rewind it to get to the point of the recognising the bang, with everything in the universe as a singularity. The rate at which its expanding is also how they know the age of it.

So can they locate the actual location in this universe where the singularity first expanded from. It is space that is allegedly expanding but also accelerating. Hope space doesn't go snap. The Big Bang followed by the Big Snap.
I can't. The universe can. And is.

But as you are part of the universe you should also be expanding.

So can they locate the actual location in this universe where the singularity first expanded from. It is space that is allegedly expanding but also accelerating. Hope space doesn't go snap. The Big Bang followed by the Big Snap.

But as you are part of the universe you should also be expanding.

The first paragraph pretty much sums it up.

It can’t be nothing

If you flew really fast to the edge of it and crossed the edge you’d be in something else

You wouldn't. And couldn't. The universe is all there is.

The first paragraph pretty much sums it up.

You wouldn't. And couldn't. The universe is all there is.

In that case then it’s shaped like the hadron collider and what we think is the edge is actually just more of the same.

I think we’re expanding into another universe which is actually shrinking.

What do the laws of physics say about something not existing when something is pushing against it?

I was either reading something or listening to a podcast a while back and something along those lines came up.. are we an experiment being carried out by a more intelligent species.. ie aliens.. the rationale iirc was . How humans have evolved over time, how our brains have developed from caveman to present day. The comparison given was against other forms of primate.. chimps etc still do largely what they always did, live in the wild pretty much as they always have, fish are still just fish but the human has evolved over time to present day and that evolution has massively eclipsed any other evolution in nature.. In what I’m referring to suggested the human brain has evolved to being 30 times bigger now than 2 million years ago, where other primates have , for the most part stayed the same.

Not my beliefs but certainly provoked some thought

Don’t think there is a god but neither do I think earth and it’s inhabitants are the result of a Big Bang..we were created, but how is way beyond me...

Didnt we evolve intellectually because our diet was much broader?

While the best evidence we have is the big bang, it is a difficult concept - to imagine nothing before it.

But I think it is more likely than some wizard sitting outside what we know as the universe and with a click of their fingers makes a universe.
Was there a before? Is time a dimension of our universe? I'm not sure what "nothing" is, or if it can exist.

If you try to define existence, you need to refer to time.

If you try to define time, you need to refer to existence.

One day we may understand time to be able to define it independently but that is some time off yet, maybe even generations,

The three theories are:

1 A-Series of Time - commonly called Presentism in which only the present moment exists.
2 B-Series - In which all Past, Present and Future states all co-exist. commonly called Eternalism
3 Growing Block Series - In which the Past and Present states co-exist but not Future states which are undefined.

Nope. It actually is expanding, with objects moving further away from each other. It's why we know there was a big bang. They know it, and thus essentially rewind it to get to the point of the recognising the bang, with everything in the universe as a singularity. The rate at which its expanding is also how they know the age of it.
There was no big bang. There was a big condense. They can look similar.
Imagine the universe as a sphere.
In the beginning, light had infinite speed so every point in that sphere could be reached in zero time.
All points were effectively in the same place. That's why it was a singularity.
The speed of light fell. Instantaneously, all parts of the universe stopped being in the same place. The universe acquired dimensions.

As time passes, the speed of light continues to fall and the time taken to move between 2 points increases. That gives the illusion that the universe is expanding. But it's not expanding, it's just becoming slower to get about it.
We only consider the speed of light to be constant because it is defined as a constant. But the speed of light is determined by the properties of the universe it travels through and those properties can change.

Our current definition of distance based on the speed of light is like using an icicle as a ruler to measure distance.
We measure the hundred metres on a running track and it's 100 icicles in length.
But in an hour's time we redo the measurement and it's now 110 icicles in length, because the icicle has melted.
If we choose the icicle as our standard distance then the world appears to be getting bigger because every time we make a measurement, it'll be more icicles in length as the standard has melted a little more.
It's the same with the universe. If we measure the universe using the speed of light and the speed of light is falling then the universe appears to expand.

The advantages of a universe condensing out of the energy, rather than a big bang, include..
No need to for theoretical cosmological inflation where laws of physics didn't exist immediately after the big bang
No need to theorise dark matter which no one can find but supposedly makes up 90% of the universe.
No need for dark energy which is apparently so powerful it can push the entire universe apart but which no one can find any evidence of.
No need for there to be anything beyond the universe into which the universe could expand.

Back