Do you barter?

Last summer on holiday I went into a cigar shop while I was roaring drunk. and asked the price of a Cohiba. He told me 20 Euro so I decided to haggle - 'I'll give you ten'. He looked at me totally nonplussed and said 'It costs 20'.

So I paid 20. I am not a good haggler.

Should’ve given him 21 to cover any embarrassment caused

One lucky lucky man in Goa was pestering us to buy a laser pointer a few years ago. After about twenty minutes of haggling with my missus he looked as pissed off as I felt. He ended up dropping the pointer on our table and walking away. As soon as she picked it up the haggling resumed.... After another ten minutes I pointed out to her she was haggling over ten pence. The difference between £3.40 and £3.50!!! She eventually backed down and agreed on the £3.50.

His face was a picture when I gave him the equivalent of a fiver and told him to keep the change

:lol:

How did you go about it? Price up online then ring them to see if there was owt they could do? Was it a chain or an independent place?

Exactly that mate. Independant place.

One lucky lucky man in Goa was pestering us to buy a laser pointer a few years ago. After about twenty minutes of haggling with my missus he looked as pissed off as I felt. He ended up dropping the pointer on our table and walking away. As soon as she picked it up the haggling resumed.... After another ten minutes I pointed out to her she was haggling over ten pence. The difference between £3.40 and £3.50!!! She eventually backed down and agreed on the £3.50.

His face was a picture when I gave him the equivalent of a fiver and told him to keep the change

:lol:

Was in spain n I looked at a lucky lucky mans watch. He started hassling me, offering it for sixty quid, wouldnt feck off.

I said “look mate ive just popped out with the kids for an ice cream and a pint, brought 10 euro, got six left, not today mate”.

His response “okay six is fine!”:lol:

Last edited:
Treating the better half to a few nights away, rang them tonight n saved £150.

In the trade im in im used to being a cheeky twat like(but politely), its sad that folk that wont contest prices could be a few grand a year down.

Well done mate, anywhere nice?

Looking at a break away myself atm

I worked at Morrison’s when I was a student and people are actually this cheeky. Some would even have a tantrum if told no.
Our lass works at Morrison’s and they do a “kids eat free deal” sometimes. The deal is with every adult main bought.

The amount of people who sit their kids down and try and get a meal for nowt without purchasing anything is mind boggling.

The best bit of haggling I did was with a tout at Man Utd a few years back. A mate & me had £17 between us, he wanted £10 each for the two tickets. I said we'll give him £10 for one and £7 for the other, he said no can do. Somewhere during the conversation my phrasing changed to me offering £17 for the two and he said yes that's fine :)

If I find an independent hotel on a hotels website I'll phone then direct and offer the same price but get them to throw in brekkie or something.. save them the 10% booking fee they need to pay the website ... I'll happily use if they may have the website price too just to stick an extra couple of quid in an independents pocjet

If I find an independent hotel on a hotels website I'll phone then direct and offer the same price but get them to throw in brekkie or something.. save them the 10% booking fee they need to pay the website ... I'll happily use if they may have the website price too just to stick an extra couple of quid in an independents pocjet

I find your often better looked after when booking direct epps, this could be intentional I guess.

The best bit of haggling I did was with a tout at Man Utd a few years back. A mate & me had £17 between us, he wanted £10 each for the two tickets. I said we'll give him £10 for one and £7 for the other, he said no can do. Somewhere during the conversation my phrasing changed to me offering £17 for the two and he said yes that's fine :)
Worst I was ever party to was the last game at Roker. I'd bought four tickets - me, me fatha, the lad I used to go to the matches with when I was still living in Sunderland and one more as I was fairly sure one of the other lads would take it. Long story short, it was only me and me fatha going. As we wandered from town towards Roker, a few beers were consumed on the way. Offered the tickets (was only looking for face value) at every pub. No one needed a ticket.

Outside Roker, just at the appropriate turnstile, I hear the whistle go for the start of the match. Decide to cut my losses and head in. Just at that point this lad and his girlfriend come up and ask if I've got tickets. Told him I've got two and looking for face price. Shoves £40 in my hands (I think the tickets were £17 or £18) and heads off in wrong direction.

Next thing, just as I'm trying to get in this bloke comes up and asks if I've got tickets. Tell him I don't, I only had two and some couple had just got them. "How much," he asks. "I'll give you more." Told him it was 40 I'd been given, but that I didn't have them, they'd been bought by a bloke who was no longer in the vicinity. "Aye, but I'll give you more" he repeats. "I don't have them. They've gone to someone else." "Aye, but I'll give you more."

Pointed him in the general direction of the aforesaid bloke and girlfriend before going through the turnstile.

Back