Do the police in America need firearms?

100% they do.

The narrative seems to be that cops are racist killers.
They need a lot of training and recruitment of more stable characters but policing the ghettos of USA will make you extremely jumpy. They are dealing with a lot of really wacky, dangerous often drugged up individuals.
There is racial bias in policing. Black people are profiled more but my impression is that the place is breaking down and the cops are now just a sticking plaster on a massive gunshot wound.

100% they do.

The narrative seems to be that cops are racist killers.
They need a lot of training and recruitment of more stable characters but policing the ghettos of USA will make you extremely jumpy. They are dealing with a lot of really wacky, dangerous often drugged up individuals.
There is racial bias in policing. Black people are profiled more but my impression is that the place is breaking down and the cops are now just a sticking plaster on a massive gunshot wound.
That's the side of the coin we don't get. You can stop a guy for speeding and genuinely be at risk of being shot as its legal to own all manner of weapons. From pistols to assault rifles

That's the side of the coin we don't get. You can stop a guy for speeding and genuinely be at risk of being shot as its legal to own all manner of weapons. From pistols to assault rifles
I think it is worse than anything we can imagine over here. There will be bad apples but the job must be horrendous. I’m sure it will be fine for a lot of small town white America.

I would argue you need to focus more on the amount (or %) of the population that own weapons. Not the cops.

agree, there's too many weapons in the country as a whole (legal or ilegal) but i don't have an issue with an armed police force. i live in a country where all police are armed and it's not a major issue.

I think being able to walk into a supermarket and buy an automatic weapon is absolutely mental.

If they absolutely have to have them, I don’t understand why anything larger than a handgun is necessary.

I think being able to walk into a supermarket and buy an automatic weapon is absolutely mental.

If they absolutely have to have them, I don’t understand why anything larger than a handgun is necessary.
That's a good point. In order to protect yourself and your home (as that argument for arms goes) you should be allowed a little six shooter, and some sort of regulated limit of ammunition quantity you can stockpile at any one time. Absolutely no need for anything heavier. Wouldn't put a stop to gun related crime altogether, but would surely minimize the amount of times nutters can go postal with laser sighted semi automatic weapons and wipe out folk tens at a time.

Back