Do I have a Tom Cruise obsession?

Status
Not open for further replies.
His sci-fi stuff is terrific mind, though his consistently good decisions are probably informed by whether the scripts are more plausible than his religion.

His sci-fi stuff is terrific mind, though his consistently good decisions are probably informed by whether the scripts are more plausible than his religion.

yeah, the studios will have realized years ago that whatever they spend on special effects and getting world-class production people, they'll get back multiple in terms of revenue.

And every now and then they'll make something that loses ("Oblivion") but what the fuck, "War Of The Worlds" took £234m in the USA alone after costing only $130m.

He's aareet TC. Done well to transform himself from a pretty boy teen idol into a huge star of mostly action films but in stuff like Rain Man and Born on the 4th of July can turn in a decent performance. Dodgy religion and pretty boy status plus daft antics like jumping on Oprah's couch haven't done him any favours like. Still, on occasion he can take the piss out of himself and that's to be applauded. I was decked when he was doing a lip sync contest with Jimmy Fallon and you heard that piano intro to 'Old Time Rock and Roll'!

yeah, the studios will have realized years ago that whatever they spend on special effects and getting world-class production people, they'll get back multiple in terms of revenue.

And every now and then they'll make something that loses ("Oblivion") but what the fuck, "War Of The Worlds" took £234m in the USA alone after costing only $130m.
Exhibit A - Battlefield Earth!

He's aareet TC. Done well to transform himself from a pretty boy teen idol into a huge star of mostly action films but in stuff like Rain Man and Born on the 4th of July can turn in a decent performance. Dodgy religion and pretty boy status plus daft antics like jumping on Oprah's couch haven't done him any favours like. Still, on occasion he can take the piss out of himself and that's to be applauded. I was decked when he was doing a lip sync contest with Jimmy Fallon and you heard that piano intro to 'Old Time Rock and Roll'!

As biographies, that's pretty spot on, Sir!

Indeed, if it weren't for his sense of humour, he'd come across as a bit of a dick (because of the scientology shit)

Also, we wouldn't get performances that turn a terrible film into something memorable ("Tropic Thunder")

And even then Oblivion was a massive commercial success and didn't actually lose at all! Only 286 million dollars earned on a 120 million dollar budget - so actually more successful than your successful example :lol: ;)

I was once round me mate's not long after he'd moved out of his ma's, and casually looking through all his DVD's that were in three separate stands dotted around the living room and I noticed the weird fucker had every Drew Barrymore film ya could think of and more besides that on top. What sorta lad owns Never Been Kissed and How To Lose a Guy In 10 Days FFS? :lol:

After suitably taking the piss and telling all the lads about it, he had tidied them all away by the time I next popped round. :lol:

Days of Thunder, Top Gun, Jerry McGuire, Color of Money, Edge of Tomorrow, Cocktail, Last Samurai etc etc.

Been in some cracking films.

A definitive analysis of his films suggests that there are about 15 Tom Cruise films out of those currently available to buy that are worth getting on DVD if you are so inclined, and a further 10 worth watching now and again if they're on TV. Your appreciation of Tom Cruise is therefore slightly above average.

And even then Oblivion was a massive commercial success and didn't actually lose at all! Only 286 million dollars earned on a 120 million dollar budget - so actually more successful than your successful example :lol: ;)

Forgive me, I was looking at the US revenue only. I think the modern parlance is, "my bad".

Reactions: mux
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back