DNA compulsory

It amazes me how many people would blindly trust the state, the police and other agencies to take your DNA.

Mistakes happen, imagine someone being under pressure to finish up an investigation and you have a very good reason not to hand over your own personal barcode.

It's good to assume the best of people but not in this case.
The Police have collected DNA for years. There are millions in file. When there is a DNA hit a further sample is taken to confirm it.

The op probably started this thread to provoke debate and most likely doesn’t really believe what he(?) has posted. But there’s nothing wrong with a bit of provoking though.

As a cop I see the benefit of DNA evidence every day. It has transformed major investigations. Just imagine if that kind of testing was around when Peter Sutcliffe was out doing what he was doing? How many lives could’ve been saved.

As an individual I value my privacy and I would not feel comfortable giving over something that uniquely identifies me to a government that may decide to use it arbitrarily as and when they feel like it.

So it’s a no from me. As others have already said, its Big Brother.
If I may, the abstract notion of 'government' fills me with less discomfort than the more readily identifiable notion of the 'police' wielding such information and therefore power.

They are probably incentivised on it where the civil servants know they’ll get paid regardless just by turning up or phoning in sick.

Partly it is incentives. But the big differences are:

the civil service have a huge supervisory and management head count.. AA, AO, EO, HEO, SEO, G7, G6, SCS. Private sector structures are much flatter, but the pay bands are wider which gives them more scope to vary pay

the civil servants are unavailable for work for a much higher %tage than their private sector counterparts. Sickness, training course, performance review meetings, etc. all reduce the amount of time available for actual work

No. They are not getting my DNA, even though i've got nothing to hide.

On this subject, do police still take and retain the dna of all suspects and even witnesses and victims of crime ?
I reckon thst @duff_man can give you the latest, but when I left the UK police I’m sure it had to be destroyed if there wasn’t a finding of guilt. I know thats what we do here now.

They should start sampling babies at birth. Through natural progression, almost everyone's DNA would be on file within 75 years. 99% of crimes solved within days as a result. No brainer

Think that 99% is a bit high. The presence of dna would'nt tell anything about consent in a rape case between adults.

Think that 99% is a bit high. The presence of dna would'nt tell anything about consent in a rape case between adults.
You’re right it doesn’t. It proves contact. That said depending in where it is found in or on the body, a hypothesis can be constructed.

Partly it is incentives. But the big differences are:

the civil service have a huge supervisory and management head count.. AA, AO, EO, HEO, SEO, G7, G6, SCS. Private sector structures are much flatter, but the pay bands are wider which gives them more scope to vary pay

the civil servants are unavailable for work for a much higher %tage than their private sector counterparts. Sickness, training course, performance review meetings, etc. all reduce the amount of time available for actual work
What grade are yay like

No. They are not getting my DNA, even though i've got nothing to hide.

On this subject, do police still take and retain the dna of all suspects and even witnesses and victims of crime ?

Take DNA of suspects if they are arrested for a recordable offence or when charged with any offence, if you get a PND then the police will get in touch about requiring DNA and it is an offence not to provide, PACE S63 IIRC.
Victims might be asked to provide elimination fingerprints but not sure about DNA.

If the government passed a compulsory DNA collection scheme, then how long would it take before insurance companies lobbied MPs to introduce a law to allow them access to your DNA?

Sorry Mr. Smith, your DNA profile indicates you're at an increased risk of diseases X, Y and Z so your premium is ££££££.

Even if you didn't know that, and didn't want to know that, they would, and they'd use it against you.
Is that necessarily a bad thing?

that bloke in Newcastle who has been charged with sex attacks from the 1980s from dna gained from a recent neighbours dispute... why don’t they make it compulsory to take everyone’s dna sample once age 18 ? Would solve loads of cases surely ?
I've not committed any crimes so don't expect to be treated like a criminal thanks

Is that necessarily a bad thing?

I believe so. Why should a private company be able to hold information about your medical history that you haven’t explicitly agreed to share?

Further I believe insurance companies would use it to discriminate against some people when I think it’s in the interests of the public that they can access life insurance at a reasonable cost.

In other words - fuck the insurance company

I believe so. Why should a private company be able to hold information about your medical history that you haven’t explicitly agreed to share?

Further I believe insurance companies would use it to discriminate against some people when I think it’s in the interests of the public that they can access life insurance at a reasonable cost.

In other words - fuck the insurance company
If I don’t have any genetic health risks why should I subsidies the east anglians?

Well that depends on who or what the government of the day define as a wrong un.

It’s entirely possible that one day we may live under an authoritarian state that seeks to oppress the populace.

Control over the genetic information of every individual would be the perfect start.
Such as the EU .

Back