DIY question - Impact drivers

Does anybody know of impact driver bits are universal? and if they can use both drill and screwdriver bits? I think I need to buy one to screw down a few upstairs floorboards that have worked loose over the years, and are now winding me up something chronic. Dont think nails will suffice because the wee little one running all over the place seems to have been working some of them loose.

Do you mean a combi drilll? I can’t see how you would use an impact driver to screw.. if so yes, they are universal.

Does anybody know of impact driver bits are universal? and if they can use both drill and screwdriver bits? I think I need to buy one to screw down a few upstairs floorboards that have worked loose over the years, and are now winding me up something chronic. Dont think nails will suffice because the wee little one running all over the place seems to have been working some of them loose.
If you want something that will put screws in and drill holes buy a 18v battery drill. Also buy a a set of bits and a bit holder if they don't come with the drill. Impact drivers aren't meant for drilling holes they're really only screwdrivers. The bits for impact drivers are mostly universal and also fit a standard bit holder.

Thanks so far.

I am looking to put some pilot holes in the boards to avoid splitting and then use wood screws with a smooth shank which should pull the board towards the joist. I gather fully threaded screws are not the way to go. Would the below item suit both drilling and screwing? The products they had for £80 didnt seem to have a battery.

As you can guess I am not a frequent DIYer.

Aye, you don't need an impact driver unless you're bashing through hard shite.
I'd keep an eye on the chuck it comes with - some are SDS which clip in, they'll come with their own set of bits but they're a bit of a dick on to find replacements. You can get an SDS to keyless chuck adaptor from Amazon canny cheap though.
Thanks so far.

I am looking to put some pilot holes in the boards to avoid splitting and then use wood screws with a smooth shank which should pull the board towards the joist. I gather fully threaded screws are not the way to go. Would the below item suit both drilling and screwing? The products they had for £80 didnt seem to have a battery.

That's canny but for what you're using it for you can get a lot cheaper if you're not going to be using it much.
VonHaus are pretty cheap, can just get a standard drill/driver for about £35.

Last edited:
Thanks so far.

Check for heating pipes/ cables under the boards before you drill, will be worth the effort.
Oh, and why don’t you just get your husband to do it

Buy a drill and impact driver set, best of both.

I've got a set of Makita ones and they're the best tools I've got.

Only the 10v ones but bloody hell they're powerful.

An impact driver is different to a combi drill. If general diy is your aim and you are on a budget, just get the combi drill. 18v is the one to aim for, if your flush get an impact gun to. Both have there uses. As said makita is decent gear, i use it daily, but there are cheaper options on amazon if its for light diy use.

Never mind what drill to use and that.

whatever you do never ever fasten in the middle of the board always to either end.As plumbers and sparkles run their services through the joists down the middle of the board.

Back