DIY question - Impact drivers

If it's just to stop them creaking try dusting talc in the joints first before you drive any screws in

If there is a lot of movement, I find a good trick is to squirt some PU glue (comes in dispenser like silicone) down the gaps - wait til it expands/ foams and use some lost tite screws to firm it down - follow the advice fellow Smb'ers posted re pipes and cables :)

Try not to walk on it while glue is drying. If you can get a bit of glue between the two surfaces -floor board / Joist- all the better. Dries rock hard that PU glue. Ffs don't get it on your hands either ...
Seriously. Good luck finding a floor board the correct size to if its an old gaf.

This could go gerld.🤣
If its one plank across a door threshold see if you can pull it up (without damaging others) take it to a good timber merchant who will mill you a price to fit. Follow my advice re glue when you lay it back down.

Last edited:
Straight through the carpet. If you’ve got a shaggy pile you’ll never see them.
😂
You can actually buy screws which are marketed for this purpose. I think the lost tite (lost head) screws are exactly the same.
As long as you know where your pipes are etc... :)
Screws to go through a carpet to fix floorboards... Iv never seen that on the packs mind.

Great idea mind, if you want to blow your house up.

Last edited:
Does anybody know of impact driver bits are universal? and if they can use both drill and screwdriver bits? I think I need to buy one to screw down a few upstairs floorboards that have worked loose over the years, and are now winding me up something chronic. Dont think nails will suffice because the wee little one running all over the place seems to have been working some of them loose.
Drill and countersink them first or you’ll end up splitting the boards

Drill and countersink them first or you’ll end up splitting the boards
Yeah got the drill bits but I dont have a counter sink bit. Is it possible to create a countersink using larger drillbit or even screwdriver head? Or does it need to be a countersink bit?
What size screws would you suggest? Was thinking 50mm length and 4.5mm width.

Last edited:

Back