DIY jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonz

Striker
Has anyone done some DIY projects on camera gear to try save themselves the dollar? I've got my eye on a Megamast or Photomast but the prices are, frankly, extortionate. I'm tempted to go down the DIY route. Now obviously I've got to weigh up the fact that if I do a botch job that there's potentially £3,000 worth of kit falling to the earth at an alarming rate. That'll be enough to break it and, even worse, seriously injure someone.

That said, it's clearly doable because these things do exist already. Has anyone tried something something like making their own tripod (normal size) without too much bother? I have a few family members who are tricky with DIY but this might be a bit too much.

Only small scale like. Made myself a nodal point bracket for doing 360 pans. Cost me £15 and worked a treat

Has anyone done some DIY projects on camera gear to try save themselves the dollar? I've got my eye on a Megamast or Photomast but the prices are, frankly, extortionate. I'm tempted to go down the DIY route. Now obviously I've got to weigh up the fact that if I do a botch job that there's potentially £3,000 worth of kit falling to the earth at an alarming rate. That'll be enough to break it and, even worse, seriously injure someone.

That said, it's clearly doable because these things do exist already. Has anyone tried something something like making their own tripod (normal size) without too much bother? I have a few family members who are tricky with DIY but this might be a bit too much.
What's not working with a decent step ladder?

Last edited by a moderator:
Try carrying a 20ft step ladder around a festival ;)
You just look more important and people get out the f***ing way!

Either that or just pay the money . If your diy thing topples over you could be in bother

Don't forget you're gonna need public liability to use it near people

Last edited by a moderator:
You just look more important and people get out the f***ing way!

Either that or just pay the money . If your diy thing topples over you could be in bother

Don't forget you're gonna need public liability to use it near people
Absolutely yeh. I already have public liability insurance fortunately. At most there's a spot for photographers that's fenced off at the front and the back so it's not too bad for that. €1000 is f***ing steep for a tall tripod mind.

Absolutely yeh. I already have public liability insurance fortunately. At most there's a spot for photographers that's fenced off at the front and the back so it's not too bad for that. €1000 is f***ing steep for a tall tripod mind.
Must be quite hard to control the angle and useless in wind

Apart from that it sounds ideal!

Must be quite hard to control the angle and useless in wind

Apart from that it sounds ideal!
Aye, I've seen thme in action. They're pretty smart pieces of kit for what I'm after: some festivals don't have much production tents so you can't easily get up a height, over the crowds. They are surprisingly sturdy due to the way the weights are at the bottom. A fast shutter speed is usually fine but I probably wouldn't be hanging around too long in the wind and rain anyway.

Aye, I've seen thme in action. They're pretty smart pieces of kit for what I'm after: some festivals don't have much production tents so you can't easily get up a height, over the crowds. They are surprisingly sturdy due to the way the weights are at the bottom. A fast shutter speed is usually fine but I probably wouldn't be hanging around too long in the wind and rain anyway.
I'd consider one myself as an alternatively to a drone, but tbh I bet I'd find most of the ground I'd want to put it on was too unstable or hilly

Maybe I'll think of locations where I'd use it

I'd consider one myself as an alternatively to a drone, but tbh I bet I'd find most of the ground I'd want to put it on was too unstable or hilly

Maybe I'll think of locations where I'd use it
They're more like a monopod than a tripod in the sense that they don't have extra feet at the bottom. Instead it has a large plate that helps stabilise it.

They're more like a monopod than a tripod in the sense that they don't have extra feet at the bottom. Instead it has a large plate that helps stabilise it.
Better than a drone for stills, will take more weight too for the price, and you don't need to worry about regulations, just it falling in one direction and twatting someone on the heed

I was gonna try attempt having a go at making a gonjoo adaptor for my 24mm TSE ii but then realised I'm absolutely honking at DIY and just bit the bullet

I'll have the bottom half

Can't you rent them?
Can't find anywhere that has them in stock to rent, unfortunately.

I was gonna try attempt having a go at making a gonjoo adaptor for my 24mm TSE ii but then realised I'm absolutely honking at DIY and just bit the bullet
I'm probably just going to end up doing that. Having said that, there doesn't seem to be much of a market for these second hand so doubt I'd get anywhere near my money back if I tried to flog it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back