DIY CCTV Hikvision.

arthursboy

Striker
Oh wise SMB people, thinking of having a go installing a couple of cameras and been looking to see what’s out there.
Seems that a make called Hikvision is a decent purchase, not the Hiwatch or HiLook variant as I believe these are not as good quality, cheaper version than Hikvision stand alone.
I can get a kit for around £220 for x2 5MP dome cameras a X1Tb DVR, plus all the cables.
I quite enjoy the DIY idea as I’ve got time on my hands and am fussy how I want the cables, or should I say our lass (no) is.
Currently got a cheap WiFi one now that only works when it wants, so need a reliable wired one, that I can also access remotely from my phone.
One that will last for a few years.

I’ve seen another model Swann that has the same spec with thermo cameras, not sure if these are a gimmick but Swann seems to have a poor name compared to Hikvision.

The Hikvision seems to require a laptop to set up, has anyone an idea how easy or difficult these are to install please, not the physical side but the set up with the laptop etc.
I’m assuming that I need to also hard wire the data cable to he router so I can access remotely from my phone or iPad.
I’m in no hurry to do this, a few offers out there at the minute.
Appreciate any advice you have for me on this please.

I've got an Annke system I bought from Amazon for £99.
It has 4 HD cameras and the facility for up to 10 ( 8 wired and 2 wifi).

I had to drop in a hard drive, but I had that already.

It has a free online app that you can access from your phone or Ipad and it works fine.
Wiring was a doddle, the only difficult thing was running up and down ladders siting the cameras.

Pictures are great, colour through the day and infra red at night. I like the red infra red lights on the units at night, gives out a warning that the place is wired up.

I've got an Annke system I bought from Amazon for £99.
It has 4 HD cameras and the facility for up to 10 ( 8 wired and 2 wifi).

I had to drop in a hard drive, but I had that already.

It has a free online app that you can access from your phone or Ipad and it works fine.
Wiring was a doddle, the only difficult thing was running up and down ladders siting the cameras.

Pictures are great, colour through the day and infra red at night. I like the red infra red lights on the units at night, gives out a warning that the place is wired up.

Understand about the lights at least people realise it no a dummy camera.
1080P can be 2MP also, but reg plates and faces don’t get picked up correctly, that’s why I wanted 5MP.
Assume it’s like everything else, the more you pay the better the quality ?
Can you see reg plates ok ?

Understand about the lights at least people realise it no a dummy camera.
1080P can be 2MP also, but reg plates and faces don’t get picked up correctly, that’s why I wanted 5MP.
Assume it’s like everything else, the more you pay the better the quality ?
Can you see reg plates ok ?

Yes, quite impressed with the quality of pictures.

I take your point though that you can probably get higher quality cameras, but it fine for my needs.

People usually buy systems and dont think about camera placement. Seen people have them under the roof line looking down...not sure what you are meant to pick up. Anyone wearing a cap will easily get away with anything. Get them as low as possible without being in reach.

Think about the most vulnerable part of your home. Garage? Patio doors? And when positioning them try not to have much dead space such as a wall or sky. See so many cameras positioned where half of the view is the wall its fixed on

Last edited:
People usually buy systems and dont think about camera placement. Seen people have them under the roof line looking down...not sure what you are meant to pick up. Anyone wearing a cap will easily get away with anything. Get them as low as possible without being in reach.

Think about the most vulnerable part of your home. Garage? Patio doors? And when positioning them try not to have much dead space such as a wall or sky. See so many cameras positioned where half of the view is the wall its fixed on
What’s the most you’ve seen fitted to a private residence.

What’s the most you’ve seen fitted to a private residence.

Seen houses with a full 16...half of them covered what others were 🤣
Came across the best system couple of weeks ago in a pub/hotel. 64 cameras all recording in HD with optical zoom option on all. Took 2 hours worth of footage which came to 72gb 😟 couldnt pick which cameras

Seen houses with a full 16...half of them covered what others were 🤣
Came across the best system couple of weeks ago in a pub/hotel. 64 cameras all recording in HD with optical zoom option on all. Took 2 hours worth of footage which came to 72gb 😟 couldnt pick which cameras
I’ve seen the full 16 on an ex council house :lol:

Not to that extent but I’ve seen it happen a few times though where people start off with two then becomes 6 then 8.

I’ve had 2 dodgy requests one was a hidden camera in his sitting room.
And another was a hidden camera in a golf club overlooking the notice board as people were vandalising the Comp times.
Declined both.

Oh wise SMB people, thinking of having a go installing a couple of cameras and been looking to see what’s out there.
Seems that a make called Hikvision is a decent purchase, not the Hiwatch or HiLook variant as I believe these are not as good quality, cheaper version than Hikvision stand alone.
I can get a kit for around £220 for x2 5MP dome cameras a X1Tb DVR, plus all the cables.
I quite enjoy the DIY idea as I’ve got time on my hands and am fussy how I want the cables, or should I say our lass (no) is.
Currently got a cheap WiFi one now that only works when it wants, so need a reliable wired one, that I can also access remotely from my phone.
One that will last for a few years.

I’ve seen another model Swann that has the same spec with thermo cameras, not sure if these are a gimmick but Swann seems to have a poor name compared to Hikvision.

The Hikvision seems to require a laptop to set up, has anyone an idea how easy or difficult these are to install please, not the physical side but the set up with the laptop etc.
I’m assuming that I need to also hard wire the data cable to he router so I can access remotely from my phone or iPad.
I’m in no hurry to do this, a few offers out there at the minute.
Appreciate any advice you have for me on this please.
Hikvision is the brand to go for the pros fit them for a reason. Annke swan yale all inferior by far, the price reflects this.

I have had Hikvision for a few years now and have gradually upgraded it, i now have 4x6mp turret cams and a decent nvr to go with it . At first i had dome cams but the ir glare on a night was terrible. Bullet cams invite insects and spiders. Go for the exir turets seriously. Poe network cams are the ones to go for. Don't bother with coaxal power cams.

Yes you will need to hook the nvr up to your router. I use a set of home plugs as my router is noware near. The Hikvision app is excellent tbh and i never have any bother with the kit, the cat5 cablenis fiddly to connect the ends on but no big deal if your eyes are good.

There's a bloke in the midlands who sells all Hikvision kit. Let me know if you need a link.

Actually I was going to place mine as you say under the guttering , good point.
Hikvision is the brand to go for the pros fit them for a reason. Annke swan yale all inferior by far, the price reflects this.

I have had Hikvision for a few years now and have gradually upgraded it, i now have 4x6mp turret cams and a decent nvr to go with it . At first i had dome cams but the ir glare on a night was terrible. Bullet cams invite insects and spiders. Go for the exir turets seriously. Poe network cams are the ones to go for. Don't bother with coaxal power cams.

Yes you will need to hook the nvr up to your router. I use a set of home plugs as my router is noware near. The Hikvision app is excellent tbh and i never have any bother with the kit, the cat5 cablenis fiddly to connect the ends on but no big deal if your eyes are good.

There's a bloke in the midlands who sells all Hikvision kit. Let me know if you need a link.
Thanks for the info, great help.

Last edited:

Been a while since ive fit any. Domes were always the smart choice, was no turrets like. Couldnt win with domes. Stick them in the shade the quality dropped off due to lack of light and stick them in the sun and you would have glare.

They look smart and out the way there but if you dont get an image of anyone whats the point of them? You're needing the face of someone. Nothing else. Its the face that puts someone in court

Last edited:
Daft question as soon as I start looking for POE the price doubles, assume it’s great for fitting over coaxial is that the main reason for the preference over coax?
It’s approx £500 now, rather than £220 -£250.
Also does both the camera and the DVR need to be specifically POE, I’m assuming it’s either coax or POE, not both.
It was turrets I was looking at, they look neater.

Been a while since ive fit any. Domes were always the smart choice, was no turrets like. Couldnt win with domes. Stick them in the shade the quality dropped off due to lack of light and stick them in the sun and you would have glare.

They look smart and out the way there but if you dont get an image of anyone whats the point of them? You're needing the face of someone. Nothing else. Its the face that puts someone in court
yeah they are class, no ir reflection, no spiders, the go to camerea these days tbh.
Daft question as soon as I start looking for POE the price doubles, assume it’s great for fitting over coaxial is that the main reason for the preference over coax?
Also does both the camera and the DVR need to be specifically POE, I’m assuming it’s either coax or POE, not both.
yeah network POE cams are a better camera and set up altogether.

coax will need a power connection as well as a coax but you can get cable which carrys both to the cam, then you connect it to the cam in a junction box.
this bloke is spot on, cheapest hikvision kit around.

iv installed mine in the soffits but being 6mp you can zoom in to a decent image.

Last edited:
I have a Hikvision system, cost me around 1200 quid, with 2 external PTZ dome camera's with 50m zoom and IR, have 2 internal mini domes with IR pan/tilt only. Got the DVR and 2T drive, bought a computer screen and a mouse for the set up. The hardest thing was actually pulling the cables around the house, once all plugged in, it was a doodle to get up and running, same with the Hik-Connect app. I'm in Indonesia but can see my pictures on my phone/Ipad etc with full control over the cameras PTZ options.

I have a Hikvision system, cost me around 1200 quid, with 2 external PTZ dome camera's with 50m zoom and IR, have 2 internal mini domes with IR pan/tilt only. Got the DVR and 2T drive, bought a computer screen and a mouse for the set up. The hardest thing was actually pulling the cables around the house, once all plugged in, it was a doodle to get up and running, same with the Hik-Connect app. I'm in Indonesia but can see my pictures on my phone/Ipad etc with full control over the cameras PTZ options.
I can imagine if you have internal and external cameras it must take some time to route them.
Assume your renting your house out and keeping an eye on the girls back home, for safety’s sake of course ;)
Thanks for the info, it seems Hikvision is the way to go, just need to up my budget.

laugh my head off at people spending £££££s on cctv ,"crystal clear at night" they brag

Its no good if the theiving tw@t is in all black with a baraclava and wooly hat on ! my mates van got broke into ,looked at his cctv crystal clear black sillouette going in and out of van, police cant do nothing ,nothing to go on.
A loud quality alarm is the way .

laugh my head off at people spending £££££s on cctv ,"crystal clear at night" they brag

Its no good if the theiving tw@t is in all black with a baraclava and wooly hat on ! my mates van got broke into ,looked at his cctv crystal clear black sillouette going in and out of van, police cant do nothing ,nothing to go on.
A loud quality alarm is the way .
I’m my circumstance it’s not all about catching the twats it’s the deterrent also.
Everything is alarmed anyway, but if the worse did happen and they fucked me over I’d like to at least try and find out who did it, how and when.
I’ve had my car broke into ( keyless entry ) a few months back, convinced it was locked, so assumed they got the signal from my keys in the hallway, yes I know daft twat (got a faraday box now).
For a couple of hundred sheckles it would have been nice to understand how it happened etc.

I’m my circumstance it’s not all about catching the twats it’s the deterrent also.
Everything is alarmed anyway, but if the worse did happen and they fucked me over I’d like to at least try and find out who did it, how and when.
I’ve had my car broke into ( keyless entry ) a few months back, convinced it was locked, so assumed they got the signal from my keys in the hallway, yes I know daft twat (got a faraday box now).
For a couple of hundred sheckles it would have been nice to understand how it happened etc.
This is why i've done it, but at the end of the day if someone really wants to break in unknown, they can easily do it. My house isn't rented, so sits empty most of the time (Family use it weekends 2 or 3 times a month), so I use it for checking for if anything has gone a miss, water leaks etc. I also have an alarm, and have smart plugs on some lamps, so switch the lights on/off randomly.

Back