Disturbing films

Im just not sure whats to be gained from something so vile.

I mean im no horror fan but I understand why some may like being scared or whatever but just whats to be gained from seeing the stuff in those films.

I guess i just like difficult subject matter and as along as it's done correctly and has a point then i don't think anything should be off limits.

Some of the best films/tv shows i've seen are the ones that stick with you and are quite often dark and feature murder, rape, violence etc.

I've got no interest in anything that is just gory for the sake of it. The Saw films being the perfect example. The first was quite clever and had a good twist but they eventually got worse and ended up being just shit films

Event Horizon stayed with me for a while for some reason.

I need to re-watch this. Saw it once about 20 years ago and remember it being pretty weird

Last edited:
I guess i just like difficult subject matter and as along as it's done correctly and has a point then i don't think anything should be off limits.

Some of the best films/tv shows i've seen are the ones that stick with you and are quite often dark and feature murder, rape, violence etc.

I've got no interest in anything that is just gory for the sake of it. The Saw films being the perfect example. The first was quite clever and had a good twist but they eventually got worse and ended up being just shit films

I need to re-watch this. Saw it once about 20 years ago and remember it being pretty weird

Yea fair point mate, just when the chap told me about the Serbian thing, it sounded like some very disturbing snuff film. Just way, way over the line.

The girl next door.
This is the one that really really affected me for weeks.
Couldn't get it out of my mind. Its not just the actions, its the way they clearly damage a person forever. A totally innocent victim.
Its horrific.

And then you hear about shit like Fritzel, and think, f***ing hell, its pretty much happened to people.

Yea fair point mate, just when the chap told me about the Serbian thing, it sounded like some very disturbing snuff film. Just way, way over the line.

Like i said, sounds worse than it actually is imo. it wouldn't get passed by the censors if it was too graphic but still not a film i'd recommend to anyone

Just thought of another one - This is England (film & TV show) has some very disturbing scenes in it, especially the TV show :cry:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - The only horrror I've ever switched off because the horror was so extreme and intense. Got through it on the second watch but jeesus what a film.
8mm - Nicholas Cage's masterpiece of a film, the subject matter is disturbing but still one of my favourite films.
The Exorcist - That bit where her face flashes on the screen.
Hostel - Another one of my favourite horror films.

A lot of the films mentioned here didn't bother me (e.g. all the excessive violence ones) because they're too ridiculous.

My shout would be "Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father" FWIW.

Animal kingdom a bit grim at times with showing male rape on his youngr brother.

Human Centipede - absolutely nee need For that like.

For other reasons The Champ, scene at the end man, again nee need

Back