Disruptive neighbours

gonzalo

Central Defender
So my mam and step dad retired recently and decided to sell their old terraced property and purchase one with a front garden and a big back yard etc, they finished an extension in the back yard but no planning permission was put in place by the contractors back then and to be honest they breached several laws and contracts, thus the head of their company is being investigated for fraud and whilst they're waiting for that case to finish, there's a fair bit of money 'tied up' with the contractor till he almost cetainly gets found guilty and that can take some time.

So aside from that obvious hassle to two folks just wanting to enjoy the rest of their lives, me step dad put up a shed at the end of the front yard...without asking for planning permission (I did tell him to but he rushed things the tit), and almost immediately a neighbour complained about the shed. Fortunately though my parents did get planning permission for that, and both decided to start focusing on gardening to distract them from the woes of the extension, so they've been planting trees etc in the front.

Tl;Dr, I believe the neighbours who lodged the complaint about the shed are now vandalising my parents front garden with one of the trees being partially dug up, the shed being pelted with mudballs from the same dirt being dug up, plants being covered with dirt, large gouges taken out of the shed and branches being snapped off the two trees.

I am wanting to talk to the police as for my mam it's quite intimidating, but can anyone offer any advice who have went through similar things? The street seems very keeping up with the Robinson's and the building work has been plagued with complaints, and now this...surely can't be coincidence.

Last edited:

Ring 101 and speak to the police about it mate. They will send someone out on an appointment and speak to you about it. The local Neighbourhood Policing Team will probably look after stuff like this and get things sorted with the neighbours.

So my mam and father-in-law retired recently and decided to sell their old terraced property and purchase one with a front garden and a big back yard etc, they finished an extension in the back yard but no planning permission was put in place by the contractors back then and to be honest they breached several laws and contracts, thus the head of their company is being investigated for fraud and whilst they're waiting for that case to finish, there's a fair bit of money 'tied up' with the contractor till he almost cetainly gets found guilty and that can take some time.

So aside from that obvious hassle to two folks just wanting to enjoy the rest of their lives, me father-in-law put up a shed at the end of the front yard...without asking for planning permission (I did tell him to but he rushed things the tit), and almost immediately a neighbour complained about the shed. Fortunately though my parents did get planning permission for that, and both decided to start focusing on gardening to distract them from the woes of the extension, so they've been planting trees etc in the front.

Tl;Dr, I believe the neighbours who lodged the complaint about the shed are now vandalising my parents front garden with one of the trees being partially dug up, the shed being pelted with mudballs from the same dirt being dug up, plants being covered with dirt, large gouges taken out of the shed and branches being snapped off the two trees.

I am wanting to talk to the police as for my mam it's quite intimidating, but can anyone offer any advice who have went through similar things? The street seems very keeping up with the Robinson's and the building work has been plagued with complaints, and now this...surely can't be coincidence.
Keep a diary of events. Get CCTV installed.

You do for any outbuilding that sits forward of the wall that forms the main elevation, anything in the rear garden would be fine (as long as it is within the height restrictions)
I assumed in was in the rear, mind i was confused a bit by the op post !

You're allowed outbuildings to a maximum of something like 35 cubic metres, I forget the actual volume, without planning permission.
Tbh, if no one complained, and without the building control Nazis finding out, you could probably build whatever the fuck you liked- until you came to sell on

Back