Disney have ruined STAR WARS

They didnt half throw their cast of bad guys under the bus too.

Snoke - Useless, had huge hype after TFA but a complete joke
Hux- Even worse, getting thrown around like a ragdoll the awful "can you hear me now" scene, comedy villanry
Kylo Ren - Doesnt have a plan, heads all owa the place, still doing the spoilt teenager routine and hes basically now the only big threat.

As a result of making the bad guys look like a bunch of mugs, the stakes dont feel high any more, it doesnt feel like theres this horrific, overwhelming enemy for the resistance to face any more. Which kills my interest for the next one.

Hux- Even worse, getting thrown around like a ragdoll the awful "can you hear me now" scene, comedy villanry
Kylo Ren - Doesnt have a plan, heads all owa the place, still doing the spoilt teenager routine and hes basically now the only big threat.

As a result of making the bad guys look like a bunch of mugs, the stakes dont feel high any more, it doesnt feel like theres this horrific, overwhelming enemy for the resistance to face any more. Which kills my interest for the next one.

The only way they can make Kylo a viable threat is if they move the timeline along a fair few years

Think he’s been great but he’s nowhere near a massive threat

The only way they can make Kylo a viable threat is if they move the timeline along a fair few years

Think he’s been great but he’s nowhere near a massive threat
Yeah I like him, but hes not a leader and he isnt a threat to the galaxy. I enjoyed the bait and switch they did with him and Rey but theres a serious bad guy problem now

Spoiler heavy article but nails it for me. I’m conflicted on some of the things that happened but that’s clearly tied into my nostalgia.

What Johnson has done with TLJ burns down so much of what the Lucas era was about. However, that simply had to happen. Just by making the new films they proved that the original rebels - and the magical Skywalkers - had failed. Time to make it about something bigger and more nuanced.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-last-jedi-defense

Mary Poppins is still a load of old bollocks, mind.

Knights of Ren are still a complete mystery too.

Who the fuck even was snoke too. Possibly the most interesting thing, gone in the most pointless way.

I do wonder how much of this is setup for the next film mind. Hux surely sees Supreme Leader potential for himself here. Take the kicking and then strike when they think you're not a threat.

The prequels may have been poorly executed in a number of aspects, but at least the narrative was there. The most interesting aspects of the story in the latest two (that weren't simply complete rehashes of the original trilogy) have now been resolved in the most underwhelming manner imaginable.
Exactly. They added to story. Whether you liked that or not, we learned loads about the world.
Learned almost nowt in the new ones

Spoiler heavy article but nails it for me. I’m conflicted on some of the things that happened but that’s clearly tied into my nostalgia.

What Johnson has done with TLJ burns down so much of what the Lucas era was about. However, that simply had to happen. Just by making the new films they proved that the original rebels - and the magical Skywalkers - had failed. Time to make it about something bigger and more nuanced.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-last-jedi-defense

Mary Poppins is still a load of old bollocks, mind.

That's great but how does that explain those lifting Porgy things?

The part where they turn Chewbacca vegan was worse than any torture scene

Nice little bump, especially since the last post was Xmas day 2017!, but people are finally seeing my point of view on this.
The prequels were part of the story, they added content, they explained things. They were what they needed to be for the story to make sense - whereas the new ones were what they wanted to make, with the story shoe-horned in, in a totally shit way

" The flaws in Disney's movies are not just creases, they were deep-rooted issues that undermined "Star Wars" as a whole. From Palpatine's return to Finn's non-existent character arc to Rey's heritage and her sudden force healing ability, plus the series' betrayal of Luke Skywalker ... nothing felt cohesive, unlike the thoughtful, coherent and deliberate expansion of the universe that "The Phantom Menace" achieved. "

Let the arguments commence, again :lol:

More and more praise on the phantom menace.

nothing to do with kids getting older and been 25 plus these days. (Assuming they were 5 when the film came out) and looking back at it with rose tinted glasses and writing these articles.

Nice little bump, especially since the last post was Xmas day 2017!, but people are finally seeing my point of view on this.
The prequels were part of the story, they added content, they explained things. They were what they needed to be for the story to make sense - whereas the new ones were what they wanted to make, with the story shoe-horned in, in a totally shit way

" The flaws in Disney's movies are not just creases, they were deep-rooted issues that undermined "Star Wars" as a whole. From Palpatine's return to Finn's non-existent character arc to Rey's heritage and her sudden force healing ability, plus the series' betrayal of Luke Skywalker ... nothing felt cohesive, unlike the thoughtful, coherent and deliberate expansion of the universe that "The Phantom Menace" achieved. "

Let the arguments commence, again :lol:

Yeah, at the time TPM came out it was derided because it was held up and compared against the original trilogy. However, this new Sequel trilogy make it look oscar winning. These 3 new films are some of the worst i've ever seen. Letting that pug-headed prat Rian Johnson do the middle film was a catastrophic mistake. However, i have to say whilst Disney have completely cocked up the sequels trilogy i think that Rogue One and The Mandalorian are absolutely tremendous. I love them.

Yeah, at the time TPM came out it was derided because it was held up and compared against the original trilogy. However, this new Sequel trilogy make it look oscar winning. These 3 new films are some of the worst i've ever seen. Letting that pug-headed prat Rian Johnson do the middle film was a catastrophic mistake. However, i have to say whilst Disney have completely cocked up the sequels trilogy i think that Rogue One and The Mandalorian are absolutely tremendous. I love them.
And the difference is - the writing was actually good. Its not about the flashy stuff, its about the story making sense and being interesting.

If you take Jar Binks out of the phantom menace it isnt *that* bad.

In fact jar-jar is symptomatic of all of the problems with the entire prequel trilogy. The films have an entirely different target audience to their story. They are effectively about a little lad growing up and becoming more and more dis-enamored with the jedi order as the order find themselves at war with the sith and the separatists for his entire early life. He's a little lad on the front lines of every major engagement then a young man who gains so much power so rapidly he can exert his will on these battlefields and because this constant struggle is all he has known, because he was never trained in what the jedi order is actually meant to be far beyond a military command structure, he cant understand why the only people that don't give him respect for his combat prowess are the jedi themselves- he cant see the fear they feel at what they are being forced to do and why they fear him as the epitome of that action. There's a slow descent into horror and madness story going on here akin to general Kurtz from apocalypse now. There's a really good subtext there that open up how palpatine was destroying the order well before order 66 by forcing them to react and respond in a way they just werent designed for.

The problem is its a kids film. You cant show that, so there's the odd little nod and the off camera slaughter of a whole village then some kids but even if hayden christensen could deliver the required brando-esque villainy (and lucas could write it) they couldnt put it in a kids film anyway. So the you have these 3 films that are intrinsically about something that happens entirely off camera.

All they really have is the set pieces (the darth maul fight, the geonosis battle and fight with Darth Dracula, the escape from the crashing ship over Coruscant are all good) but with an ultimately completely unsatisfying experience as they had to leave out the actual story and try to ram in a romance that, had they used Natalie Portman at all and had her slowly see skywalker falling into madness and then actually betray him could have been interesting and add something rather than jamming it in in a single scene like she hasnt noticed shits going downhill for the past few years, neither the actor or writer had any hope of delivering. Apart from anything else the jedi just look like idiots.

Last edited:

Back