Dire Straits

Some good responses. I was a teenager through their glory years and they became very popular for a while but certainly were never cool as had little charisma or fashion sense. The only song I really disliked was 'Walk of Life', but songs like Sultans, Romeo&Juliet, Brothers in Arms and especially Telegraph Road, were magnificent. The 1980s was a funny time for British bands - how many are revered today? A Flock of Seagulls? Spandau Ballet? Duran Duran? Ultravox? Kissing the Pink? Echo and the Bunnymen? Simple Minds? ABC? OMD? Heaven 17? Perhaps Depeche Mode have had the greatest influence.
Er, The Smiths, The Cure, The Clash, The Stone Roses, New Order, Bowie, The Fall, Jesus and Mary Chain, Gang of Four, The Jam.
The 80s was a crap decade for music.

Definitely not crap in any sense whatsoever. Talking Heads, Pixies, Public Enemy, De La Soul, Happy Mondays, Black Flag, Neil Young, NWA, Kate Bush, Madonna,

Er, The Smiths, The Cure, The Clash, The Stone Roses, New Order, Bowie, The Fall, Jesus and Mary Chain, Gang of Four, The Jam.

Definitely not crap in any sense whatsoever. Talking Heads, Pixies, Public Enemy, De La Soul, Happy Mondays, Black Flag, Neil Young, NWA, Kate Bush, Madonna,

Exactly. The 60's were always going to be a hard act to follow but the 70's and 80's had a bloody good stab at it. It's the kids now I feel sorry for.

Not Dire Straits but Knopfler did do that cringe worthy song with James Taylor about the Mason Dixon line.
What was it?... "I am a Geordie bakers boy with a tape measure in me hand" or summat .
Awful. What Taylor was doing singing on it I can't imagine. Try some of the lyrics out for size.....

"Now you're a good surveyor, Dixon
But I swear you'll make me mad
The West will kill us both
You gullible Geordie lad
You talk of liberty
How can America be free
A Geordie and a baker's boy
In the forests of the Iroquois"

"baker's boy" and "Iroquois" should have won a feckin prize :rolleyes:

Iron Maiden are the 'biggest' of the UK 80's bands, and the most influencial.

I’d argue they’re bigger internationally than domestically. I think the Cure are bigger in Britain personally, but then again if the Smith’s ever regrouped and toured, it would be unparalleled for any 80’s Band.

Not Dire Straits but Knopfler did do that cringe worthy song with James Taylor about the Mason Dixon line.
What was it?... "I am a Geordie bakers boy with a tape measure in me hand" or summat .
Awful. What Taylor was doing singing on it I can't imagine. Try some of the lyrics out for size.....

You gullible Geordie lad
You talk of liberty
How can America be free

I'll raise you "Why aye man" with Jimmy Nail ffs.

You gullible Geordie lad
You talk of liberty
How can America be free

Jeremiah Dixon was from Cockfield. They claim everything ffs.

Exactly. The 60's were always going to be a hard act to follow but the 70's and 80's had a bloody good stab at it. It's the kids now I feel sorry for.

People tend to think the best period is the period when they were a teenager. For me it was the 90's. Kids probably think current music is great.

People tend to think the best period is the period when they were a teenager. For me it was the 90's. Kids probably think current music is great.

Not really. The 80's was my era for growing up but I listened to a lot of 60's and 70's music as well. I'd agree that the 90's was canny but it's gone to dogshit since.
Can you name any no. 1 from last year?

Edit: The 2000's werent bad (White Stripes, Strokes, BRMC, early KOL etc), but the last 10 years have been horrific.

Last edited:
Not really. The 80's was my era for growing up but I listened to a lot of 60's and 70's music as well. I'd agree that the 90's was canny but it's gone to dogshit since.
Can you name any no. 1 from last year?

Edit: The 2000's werent bad (White Stripes, Strokes, BRMC, early KOL etc), but the last 10 years have been horrific.

The charts are pretty much defunct since streaming. And tbh ive not taken any notice of them since the early 2000's. Theres very little 60's stuff i probably listen to & what i do came out in 1969, theres a bit more of 70's.
Like the 60's most of the 80's stuff is 87-89. I reckon the 70's had more shite than the 80's when it comes to novelty stuff mind.

The charts are pretty much defunct since streaming. And tbh ive not taken any notice of them since the early 2000's. Theres very little 60's stuff i probably listen to & what i do came out in 1969, theres a bit more of 70's.
Like the 60's most of the 80's stuff is 87-89. I reckon the 70's had more shite than the 80's when it comes to novelty stuff mind.

My daughters up in Edinburgh Uni and she goes to 60's nights, 70's nights, 80's nights, Northern Soul nights etc. Do you think in 20-30 years time they'll be having nights playing the music that's around now?

My daughters up in Edinburgh Uni and she goes to 60's nights, 70's nights, 80's nights, Northern Soul nights etc. Do you think in 20-30 years time they'll be having nights playing the music that's around now?

I wouldnt go, but can see them having grime nights & that

They were brilliant but lost it a bit and also seemed to be a a favourite of people with zero taste which didn't help .Dads seemed to discover Knopfler and think guitars had just been invented

Back