Dire Straits

Have made some foot rappers for sure and shifted loads of albums

One thing you hardly ever hear though is others bands citing them as an influence

Some good responses. I was a teenager through their glory years and they became very popular for a while but certainly were never cool as had little charisma or fashion sense. The only song I really disliked was 'Walk of Life', but songs like Sultans, Romeo&Juliet, Brothers in Arms and especially Telegraph Road, were magnificent. The 1980s was a funny time for British bands - how many are revered today? A Flock of Seagulls? Spandau Ballet? Duran Duran? Ultravox? Kissing the Pink? Echo and the Bunnymen? Simple Minds? ABC? OMD? Heaven 17? Perhaps Depeche Mode have had the greatest influence.

Some good responses. I was a teenager through their glory years and they became very popular for a while but certainly were never cool as had little charisma or fashion sense. The only song I really disliked was 'Walk of Life', but songs like Sultans, Romeo&Juliet, Brothers in Arms and especially Telegraph Road, were magnificent. The 1980s was a funny time for British bands - how many are revered today? A Flock of Seagulls? Spandau Ballet? Duran Duran? Ultravox? Kissing the Pink? Echo and the Bunnymen? Simple Minds? ABC? OMD? Heaven 17? Perhaps Depeche Mode have had the greatest influence.
Iron Maiden are the 'biggest' of the UK 80's bands, and the most influencial.

The 80s was a crap decade for music.

The Police could instantly sell out Arenas if the reformed. And Sniff'n the Tears, although I just found out that the guitarist died recently on another thread.

Back