Difference between how football and other sports are portrayed

L

Lexingtongue

Was watching BT Sport a lot this week as I've been absolutely crippled by illness and noticed that football segments are usually accompanied by flashy graffiti style displays, street poets, hip hop style dancers, and grime or whatever else is deemed as on trend with the young 'uns as backing tracks. The BBC are absolutely chronic for this, too, in segments before matches. In addition, the video to McLaughlin getting ball from the stand himself they accompanied with the tagline saying 'Where the ballboys at?' instead of using the proper English. There was a rugby advert on BT amidst all the garish football dross and it was instead accompanied by classic music. :lol: Is there a reason football frequently gets dumbed down and lumped in with these things? Dull thread over, claxon.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'd much rather rap and graffiti than classical music like. Any reason rugby is dumbed down ?
I find it a bit strange. They always seem to use street style themes as if that's all football fans are enticed by? Can't they mix it up a bit? It seems unusual to me that that's the box the sport gets categorised under? Not everyone who enjoys football is a teenaged FIFA player?

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it a bit strange. They always seem to use street style themes as if that's all football fans are enticed by? Can't they mix it up a bit? It seems unusual to me that that's the box the sport gets categorised under? Not everyone who enjoys football is a teenaged FIFA player?

Because young people are the future of the industry, and like it or not but it’s that kind of thing that young people are interested in.

You are already a football fan. You will tune in regardless, but Generation Z have a lot more alternatives vying for their attention, which is why everything is targeted at them rather than you.

Caught a bit of MOTDx recently, too, and I think that typifies the type of football content the BBC push.

Was watching BT Sport a lot this week as I've been absolutely crippled by illness and noticed that football segments are usually accompanied by flashy graffiti style displays, street poets, hip hop style dancers, and grime or whatever else is deemed as on trend with the young 'uns as backing tracks. The BBC are absolutely chronic for this, too, in segments before matches. In addition, the video to McLaughlin getting ball from the stand himself they accompanied with the tagline saying 'Where the ballboys at?' instead of using the proper English. There was a rugby advert on BT amidst all the garish football dross and it was instead accompanied by classic music. :lol: Is there a reason football frequently gets dumbed down and lumped in with these things? Dull thread over, claxon.
Just the way football is going bro, init.

Back