Did you want to join the Army, Navy or Air Force?

Served in the RAF for 24 years, from age of 16. Best thing I ever did - made a man of me and I got to see the world - albeit from hotels far from the front line....
I have lived and worked in Germany (twice), The Netherlands and Denmark, and have I have some wonderful memories. I also did detachments all round the world from The Falklands to Cyprus and Las Vegas and have enjoyed the experiences that these have provided. You can't beat the camaraderie of the forces and in my fellow ex-military guys I have a group of people who will always look out for me and support me if needed - I would recommend it to any young man/woman who asked me...

On leaving I started collecting £600 a month in immediate pension - which will go up to over a thousand quid (index linked) when I reach 55.

Served in the RAF for 24 years, from age of 16. Best thing I ever did - made a man of me and I got to see the world - albeit from hotels far from the front line....
I have lived and worked in Germany (twice), The Netherlands and Denmark, and have I have some wonderful memories. I also did detachments all round the world from The Falklands to Cyprus and Las Vegas and have enjoyed the experiences that these have provided. You can't beat the camaraderie of the forces and in my fellow ex-military guys I have a group of people who will always look out for me and support me if needed - I would recommend it to any young man/woman who asked me...

On leaving I started collecting £600 a month in immediate pension - which will go up to over a thousand quid (index linked) when I reach 55.
Medical pensions are the way to go mate

I wanted to be in the Army but duffed it, just didn't fancy getting killed. Majority will opt for Army but when you think about it, there is not much inspiration to join the RAF or the Navy, there are plenty of adverts to tempt you to join the Army but not for the Navy/Marines.
Almost did it when I was a young 'un, went down and spoke to a bloke from the REMI. Ended up f***ing it off but sometimes wish I'd give it a crack like

Houghton Kepier in about 1991, night before Top Gun was on telly, next day we had to chose career talks - around 95% of the lads signed up for the RAF... months later the careers talks happened about 90% of the lads had no recollection of expressing an interest in the RAF.

Reminds me of our pass out!!! We were used to just getting instruction normally then we passed out with the guards and their stupid screaming drill sergeants, could not understand them. Hilarious
My platoon sergeant in basic was an ex coldstream guard rebadged to REME. Couldn’t understand a word he screamed at us on the drill square half the time. All I remember was that “duff dye, duff dye, duff dye” was infantry speak for left right!

Back