Did you want to join the Army, Navy or Air Force?

Joined the navy did 15 years and left as a clubswinger. Probs the best of the services and don't regret it one bit. I'd recommend it over the army and raf but then I'm biased.
As they used to say...,
Join the army to become a man
Join the navy to feel one....ooh err missis.

I can’t say anything really though. My son has recently joined the Royal Australian Navy.

After hearing about my uncles war exploits (he was a spitfire pilot, went down over the Med in 1941, never found him or his plane), but decided I couldn't put up with the discipline.
Looking back, I should have researched it properly.
That would have been my downfall. I don’t take being told what to do very well. I once did 2 weeks on the tall ships and I kept getting bollocked for not calling the officers Sir.

Always fancied the navy, a couple of uncles served in WW2.
Went to senior school in Hartlepool and when about 15 went on a careers tour of a navy ship docked there.
Was shown around with a lot of others and found it interesting. We were walking along a corridor when a door opened at the side and a bloke said “lads whatever you do don’t join the f*****g navy” and shut the door again.
Put me off which might have been a good thing as might have ended up in the Falklands conflict.

Went to senior school in Hartlepool and when about 15 went on a careers tour of a navy ship docked there.
Was shown around with a lot of others and found it interesting. We were walking along a corridor when a door opened at the side and a bloke said “lads whatever you do don’t join the f*****g navy” and shut the door again.
perhaps he didnt think you were pretty enough?

As a boy my planned career was always to join the Marines. Sadly, I fell to the siren song of women and drink so got a local job that paid enough to fund them. Can't complain really.

The chap who I bought my current house off was an RAF fighter pilot.

Little wimpy guy , softly spoken, quiet manner , not over tall or well built.

And yet a full on hardened warrior who had flown in combat missions in a Tornado.

Never judge a book etc.

Went to join Navy in mid 80s with my mate. I changed my mind and he went. He ended up all over the place. He's back home now but i always wonder how my life would have turned out.

I wanted to be in the Army but duffed it, just didn't fancy getting killed. Majority will opt for Army but when you think about it, there is not much inspiration to join the RAF or the Navy, there are plenty of adverts to tempt you to join the Army but not for the Navy/Marines.
does "born in Blyth made in Royal Navy" ring a bell

I toyed with an application for both the RAF and Navy in 2011. In truth, the roles available in the Navy appealed more but the waiting times for the RAF were much less so I applied for the former. I was knocked back as my running time was just a shade over the required time. I thought this was harsh as there would've been ample time to improve on it while I was waiting for an assessment date. They advised to continue with fitness work and reapply but I had already decided on uni if I was knocked back.
I hindsight, I wish it was something I considered when I was younger.

True story...
I wanted to be a pilot and watched the mid 80s reality series about pilot training in the RAF. I sacked it off when I found out that hayfever would present a problem for fast jet selection, the amount of ironing you had to do was the final straw. :lol:
I failed the fitness test for the scouts.
Bad knees?
I was very close to joining the Fleet air arms.
That'll have been flying kites at the time was it? :lol:

Last edited:
I wanted to be in the Army but duffed it, just didn't fancy getting killed. Majority will opt for Army but when you think about it, there is not much inspiration to join the RAF or the Navy, there are plenty of adverts to tempt you to join the Army but not for the Navy/Marines.

I thought about being a fireman in the RAF. In the end my Dad got me a start at his place.

Only 29 years later I left :)

My dad spent his entire working life in the army from 16, then 6 years or so as a civil servant for them until he retired a few years ago.

He always enjoyed it, but being brought up as part of an army family put me off joining myself.

Moving every couple of years, mum having to find a new job, me changing schools all the time, wasn't great. Couldn't do that to my wife and kids.

At 61 , I still want to be a fighter pilot - shooting down nasty Ruskies , giving Kelly Mcgillis a ride on the back of my Harley, wearing Aviators and a badged up leather jacket.... and of course playing volleyball , topless with my fellow airmen.

(pedant alert) it was a triumph.

i was a space cadet for quite a while.

Back