Did you want to join the Army, Navy or Air Force?

I wanted to be in the Army but duffed it, just didn't fancy getting killed. Majority will opt for Army but when you think about it, there is not much inspiration to join the RAF or the Navy, there are plenty of adverts to tempt you to join the Army but not for the Navy/Marines.
Most ads on tele are for the boot necks (marines)

I would have loved to join but failed on colour blindness .... it was a pre-requisite for the Royal signals which was my grandfathers regiment

didnt want to join any old infantry mob

Navy. I was brought up by a dad obsessed with the navy, possibly because his dad served in the war. Spent my childhood reading naval books and visiting the careers office to get posters and that. Went to see every ship that came to visit the town. Joined the Sea Scouts.

Then became a scientist so I could work in my dad’s factory.

Toyed with the idea of joining the RAF as they had the nicest uniforms (also my Grandad was RAF ground crew). Decided not to in the end. Now haven't had a nice suit my entire life

I wanted to be in the Army but duffed it, just didn't fancy getting killed. Majority will opt for Army but when you think about it, there is not much inspiration to join the RAF or the Navy, there are plenty of adverts to tempt you to join the Army but not for the Navy/Marines.
No

I wanted to join the Marines straight from school. I did some tests but before I went to Lympstone my mother convinced me to go to college. I joined the TA then discovered rugby and women in that order.

Yep Army. The plan was to go in as a bandsman/medic,sat my initial selection test at Claypath recruiting office. Passed my initial audition at Boro with some Major from somewhere or other then never heard anymore

Not the armed forces, but I nearly went for the Merchant Navy when I'd served my apprenticeship. A couple of the older kids I grew up with joined, and came back with some cracking stories.

I joined The Chipper Club.
I went to the Clipper instead and drank
They obviously get enough applicants for the other 2.
We went to a family gathering in Wales 20+ yrs ago and the advertisement on the busses in the Valleys was something along the lines of “join the army, £250/week”
The same picture on the advertisement on London busses “ join the army, see the world “
Clever advertisement but preying on vulnerability of the former mining villages and towns imo

Last edited:
Would never consider front line stuff, but if I developed technical skills I may have considered repair work or something. But at school I discovered I've got a colour vision defect, and got a leaflet telling me the sort of jobs I was ruled out of. Armed Forces was on the list, but what killed me was train driver was on there :-(

Back