Did you want to join the Army, Navy or Air Force?

safcrob

Winger
I wanted to be in the Army but duffed it, just didn't fancy getting killed. Majority will opt for Army but when you think about it, there is not much inspiration to join the RAF or the Navy, there are plenty of adverts to tempt you to join the Army but not for the Navy/Marines.

I wanted to be in the Army but duffed it, just didn't fancy getting killed. Majority will opt for Army but when you think about it, there is not much inspiration to join the RAF or the Navy, there are plenty of adverts to tempt you to join the Army but not for the Navy/Marines.
I was tempted by the navy (HMS Ganges) but didn't apply.

I was waiting for a selection weekend date with the army in 2014 but ended up getting banned from driving so I binned it off as could only go in as a chef or clerk after that.

Got a live application with the RAF to go in as an officer but need to complete another year of my Open Uni degree before I have enough credits. Will be at least another 8-12 months before I'll be in if I decide to see it through.

I applied for Army and RAF at the same time, way back in 1990.

RAF said it would be about 6-9 months for the trade I wanted. Army said about 2 months.

Joined the Army because I didn't want to hang around waiting. Don't regret it at all.

I didn't want to when I was a teenager but I think in hindsight the RAF would have been a good move for me. I wish I'd been mature enough to make better decisions at that key part of my life.

Applied to join the RAF Regiment back in 1974, passed all the requirements but was then told vacancies did not exist in the Regiment but plenty for cooks and stewards from which I could transfer in the future.
Walked away.

Never considered it as a career, although fighter pilot sounded really interesting.

I don't think I'm cut out for a military life, for multiple reasons.

Back