Did the yards work night shift?

If you're sure I will bow to your superior knowledge. I'm no expert on the subject and just going off what I'd been told. Like I'd said before I'm not knocking the workers who were probably as good as any in the world. I can help but think if they had better working practices and working full shifts it might have survived, but then again maybe we were always going to be sacrificed being an easy target.

You've kind of hit the nail on the head with the better working practices..where I work now everything fits..i'm a plater and the parts come and they go together..if they don't it's the responsibility of the manager of where the parts came from to make sure they don't come wrong again..there's accountability..my experiences down the yards was let's say putting shell plates together..you'd assemble the plates then had the bulb bars to go on them..they'd be nowhere near..so you'd knock a 'bridge' up and get some wedges and fair it up and it'd take ages..then the next one would be the same and on and on..you'd be knackered after doing a couple..no the wonder all the white finger claims were going in.

You've kind of hit the nail on the head with the better working practices..where I work now everything fits..i'm a plater and the parts come and they go together..if they don't it's the responsibility of the manager of where the parts came from to make sure they don't come wrong again..there's accountability..my experiences down the yards was let's say putting shell plates together..you'd assemble the plates then had the bulb bars to go on them..they'd be nowhere near..so you'd knock a 'bridge' up and get some wedges and fair it up and it'd take ages..then the next one would be the same and on and on..you'd be knackered after doing a couple..no the wonder all the white finger claims were going in.
Aye my dad had a claim. Like I said I'm sure the lads were great in general and my dad was a proper grafter. He said he didn't do much and it frustrated him standing about all day waiting for someone else to do something so he could do his next bit.

Aye my dad had a claim. Like I said I'm sure the lads were great in general and my dad was a proper grafter. He said he didn't do much and it frustrated him standing about all day waiting for someone else to do something so he could do his next bit.

Once again you've nailed it..i can only speak for Pallion where I worked..on a morning you'd go in..go on a job..no one told you how much was expected of you..no one was checking how much was done..you'd get finished and you'd be stood about because the next unit the lads in the dock were waiting for wasn't ready and there'd be no room on the floor to start the next one..poor planning.

Back