Diabetes

Simpsyla

Central Defender
Thought I'd create a thread to give people space to share any tips, tricks, experiences or ask any questions they have - whether you have diabetes or have a family member or know someone who has it - or are just generally interested. Thread is T1 or T2 agnostic.

In terms of my story:

I'm now 31, diagnosed with T1 just before my 5th birthday. Had fantastic control as a child (brilliant mam) but struggled during teenage years and early 20's (thought I was invincible) to the point where about four years ago I was one retinal screening away from requiring surgery (in the words of Flight of the Conchords - I'm vincible).

That kicked my backside into gear and I really sorted out my control through sorting my diet. I went low carb - if you aren't putting that many carbs in you don't need that much insulin and it's more difficult to go overly high too often.

I've been on a pump for about 8 years now and that's been brilliant.

About 18 months ago I started self funding the Libre and have had it on prescription for about a year now. That has been an absolute revelation, life changing.

As I say, happy to answer questions on any of the above and hope people can share their experiences to build others up and aid understanding.

Thought I'd create a thread to give people space to share any tips, tricks, experiences or ask any questions they have - whether you have diabetes or have a family member or know someone who has it - or are just generally interested. Thread is T1 or T2 agnostic.

In terms of my story:

I'm now 31, diagnosed with T1 just before my 5th birthday. Had fantastic control as a child (brilliant mam) but struggled during teenage years and early 20's (thought I was invincible) to the point where about four years ago I was one retinal screening away from requiring surgery (in the words of Flight of the Conchords - I'm vincible).

That kicked my backside into gear and I really sorted out my control through sorting my diet. I went low carb - if you aren't putting that many carbs in you don't need that much insulin and it's more difficult to go overly high too often.

I've been on a pump for about 8 years now and that's been brilliant.

About 18 months ago I started self funding the Libre and have had it on prescription for about a year now. That has been an absolute revelation, life changing.

As I say, happy to answer questions on any of the above and hope people can share their experiences to build others up and aid understanding.
That’s good to hear you are back on track. My son is T1 and it terrifies me the thought of him reaching drinking age and potentially going away to University. His controls are fantastic at the moment (due to us) so much so that his Hba1c has been mid 40s for around a year now. However he is a typical lazy teenager and if left to his own devices would never check his own bloods.

Have to trust him eventually but it’s going to be hard - like you say we all think we are invincible when we are young!!

That’s good to hear you are back on track. My son is T1 and it terrifies me the thought of him reaching drinking age and potentially going away to University. His controls are fantastic at the moment (due to us) so much so that his Hba1c has been mid 40s for around a year now. However he is a typical lazy teenager and if left to his own devices would never check his own bloods.

Have to trust him eventually but it’s going to be hard - like you say we all think we are invincible when we are young!!

Fantastic numbers there - is he on a pump? And does he use Libre?

Hopefully the good habits he's in to will stick with him and, even if he loosens off a little will find it easier to tighten up again as and when he decides to.

Fantastic numbers there - is he on a pump? And does he use Libre?

Hopefully the good habits he's in to will stick with him and, even if he loosens off a little will find it easier to tighten up again as and when he decides to.
Yeah he is on a pump but not Libre, he thought about it but decided he didn’t want another permanent attachment to his body. If it removed the need for blood testing he would jump at it, but sadly not. We tried another constant bgm device a few years back which connected to his pump but that caused us no end of problems as it would constantly alarm during the night as well as switching off his basal rate which would then cause him to go high. It also left sore marks when removed so we decided it was more bother than it was worth!!

Back