DevOps and Agile - Anyone know this stuff?

PTR

Striker
I'm an IT Service Manager, with a working background in ITIL environments - but I've noticed more and more jobs advertise a requirement for skills in DevOps, Agile, Scrum etc.

Having done a little reading, it seems both of these are software development / delivery methodologies.

What confuses me is how learning about these skills as a producer/implementer of Software would apply to a service delivery manager type role. I've looked at some courses, and it doesn't seem to be focussed for that at all - yet the job adverts seem to disagree?

Can anyone throw any light on this?

Just the latest tick boxes marra. The courses are a piece of piss.
Difference is, I've always said "Yes, I've worked in ITIL environments all my career" - I've had zero exposure to Agile or DevOps, so I can't blag it! :lol:

Our work has free courses, so I'm going to check out the curriculum for the DevOps White belt and see if there's much that's relevant to me.

I'm an IT Service Manager, with a working background in ITIL environments - but I've noticed more and more jobs advertise a requirement for skills in DevOps, Agile, Scrum etc.

Having done a little reading, it seems both of these are software development / delivery methodologies.

What confuses me is how learning about these skills as a producer/implementer of Software would apply to a service delivery manager type role. I've looked at some courses, and it doesn't seem to be focussed for that at all - yet the job adverts seem to disagree?

Agile is just a different way of project management and scrum comes under agile. I did a course on it a couple of years back and was incredibly sceptical going into it but it was actually really good. Some parts of it are more applicable to different jobs. We used the kanban board afterwards for tasks and found it very useful. Especially for end of year review time when you're trying to remember what you did.

I'm an infrastructure engineer and more and more jobs seem to be going to devops. Can either be as part of a development team or a more automated way of pushing out configs to a cloud infrastructure setup using stuff like chef, docker or octopus.

Agile is just a different way of project management and scrum comes under agile. I did a course on it a couple of years back and was incredibly sceptical going into it but it was actually really good. Some parts of it are more applicable to different jobs. We used the kanban board afterwards for tasks and found it very useful. Especially for end of year review time when you're trying to remember what you did.

I'm an infrastructure engineer and more and more jobs seem to be going to devops. Can either be as part of a development team or a more automated way of pushing out configs to a cloud infrastructure setup using stuff like chef, docker or octopus.
That's the thing, I'm not a coder, nor am I a project manager.

But these terms are popping up in Service Delivery roles. I just don't get it.

That's the thing, I'm not a coder, nor am I a project manager.

But these terms are popping up in Service Delivery roles. I just don't get it.
I'm not either but they can apply, my new job I've been doing for the last few months would be considered a kinda devops role in that you're scripting automation stuff to push out to new infrastructure in the crowd.
Even if you're not a project manager you'll be involved probably in going to project meetings so the use of kanban or scrum may come into it.

I'm not either but they can apply, my new job I've been doing for the last few months would be considered a kinda devops role in that you're scripting automation stuff to push out to new infrastructure in the crowd.
Even if you're not a project manager you'll be involved probably in going to project meetings so the use of kanban or scrum may come into it.
See, that's definitely not what I do. I don't have anything to do with development.

I'm fully ITIL'ed up, but have recently done a Certified Agile Service Manager's course, which is very similar indeed to ITIL foundation - its mostly a methodology for product development, a way of working different to the waterfall approach, we've adapted it to Service management, mostly by just naming things differently, so out morning call to make sure everything is up and running is now our Morning Stand Up, our 'things to do' list is now our backlog, and so on - it tends to get things done quicker, but theres a lot more rework as things get flung into live with errors by people who don't really understand agile methodologies

A Service Delivery manager would at least need an appreciation of DevOps if that is used by the organisation to understand incremental deployments for example.

Agile is just another way of saying something hasn’t been thought through properly and the product that comes out to fix the short term problem causes long term damage in my experience.

Scrums and daily stand ups ffs :lol:

The daily stand ups do my tits in. At our place we simply dont have enough staff to cover the work in the sprints or via helpdesk stuff so our daily stand ups are just us saying "yep done nowt in the last 24 hrs cos i've been stuck doing shite helpdesk tickets all day" and then the guy running the show kicking off cos we've done nowt.

Also due to this i now spend more time in daily stand ups and refinement sessions and sprint retrospective meetings that i've now got less time to do more work.

Shite

We used aspects of agile in my last job, primarily the kanban boards and the scrum. As mentioned by @jacko100 the kanban boards were useful as a reminder of what you had done and also what others had done and were doing. Scrum/stand up just seemed a way of the boss keeping up with what everyone was doing and micromanaging a bit.

Back