Detectorists

I started watching it after you recommended it on a "what should I watch" thread.
Half way through it, its very good.

The theme tune though, it reminds me of something and I just can't place it.
I know it was written just for this show, so its not that I've heard exactly this before, but something similar.

It's a terrific show, and Mackenzie Crook is a very good writer and director. There's so much implied or unsaid in the script, rather than beating you about the head with it. The scene in season 2 where Sheila's talking to Lance in the pub garden about children, and it's almost blink if you'd miss it, but if you don't you just come to understand that she's had loss in her own life. Fantastic writing and acting.

Funny, touching, and if I ever felt very down and wanted to watch something to feel a bit better about the world, this is what I would turn to.

I started watching it after you recommended it on a "what should I watch" thread.
Half way through it, its very good.

The theme tune though, it reminds me of something and I just can't place it.
I know it was written just for this show, so its not that I've heard exactly this before, but something similar.

October Song Incredible String Band

Or maybe something by Nick Drake

October Song Incredible String Band

Or maybe something by Nick Drake
Should have added more context. Me and missus both said it rang a bell, from something we've watched on telly before. Possibly a sad moment in a TV show where it cuts away with this song playing.

Sorry, no idea beyond that - just every time I hear the song, the same bell rings. I'll probably never figure it out.

Beautifully written and acted. It felt relatable not like most sitcoms that feel forced.

As someone pointed out Don't forget the Driver is a great show too. Toby Jones is an incredible actor and this show highlights that fact but you can't take anything away from MacKenzie Crook or Rachel Sterlings performances

Case in point, how well written the wife is. Hardly ever happens, but she's actually "real".

Becky? I agree the writing and her performance his hugely underrated, and real is a very good way of describing it.

it’s my favourite tv programme of all time, I’ve watched it probably too much,
It's a terrific show, and Mackenzie Crook is a very good writer and director. There's so much implied or unsaid in the script, rather than beating you about the head with it. The scene in season 2 where Sheila's talking to Lance in the pub garden about children, and it's almost blink if you'd miss it, but if you don't you just come to understand that she's had loss in her own life. Fantastic writing and acting.

Funny, touching, and if I ever felt very down and wanted to watch something to feel a bit better about the world, this is what I would turn to.

I agree 100%. The only thing is I come away feeling sad that I don’t live in Danebury.

Last edited:

Back