Derby County officially have been taken over

they were

Not necessarily. If the proceeds of the administration weren't sufficient to meet the preferred creditor element of the debt to HMRC (outstanding PAYE/NI/VAT), they'll lose out. If any Corporation Tax were owed (unlikely in view of losses), then that would be an unsecured creditor, and unlikely to be met in a normal administration.
Every penny

Why the obsession with HMRC?
They should have been made to pay HMRC in full.

Lobby for a change in insolvency law then, because them's not the rules.

Last edited:
It's like any other business.
Do badly for whatever reason and you're fkd.
Why should football clubs be any different ?

I’d argue football isn’t like any other business, SAFC are a prime example of that.

Serve up shit for over 10 years and still thousands are willing to pay for the privilege and devote huge chunks of their lives to it.

I’m struggling to think of any other business/industry where people will gladly still pay for mediocrity.

Not necessarily. If the proceeds of the administration weren't sufficient to meet the preferred creditor element of the debt to HMRC (outstanding PAYE/NI/VAT), they'll lose out. If any Corporation Tax were owed (unlikely in view of losses), then that would be an unsecured creditor, and unlikely to be met in a normal administration.

Why the obsession with HMRC?

Lobby for a change in insolvency law then, because them's not the rules.
If HMRC loses out we all lose out.

Would they let you get away with yr tax bill?

Apparently Curtis Davies has almost definitely re-signed and they’re in for Conor Hourihane, Tom Barkhuizen who used to play for Preston I think and James Chester all of which you’d say are historically at least potentially ‘too good for League 1’

Let’s see if they can get them all over the line and how they gel.

No chance they’ll go straight back up obviously with Sheff Weds, Ipswich, Barnsley, Peterboro etc.
Curtis Davis is key for me, loads made about how Rooney held the club together but it was Davis who held the team together on the pitch. I still cant get my head around how good he was last season. A few injury plagued seasons and ready to leave the club after a terrible Achiles injury just about finishes his career, then last season when we needed every player he played every minute of every league game (i think) after missing most of pre-season aged 37 :eek:, i think he wants to stay and move into coaching after just hope we can do a deal
Is Cashin staying with ye or has be been released ?
Was hoping Louie Watson would have stayed with ye and got decent game time this season but seen he joined Luton.
You think ye will be able to hold onto Jason Knight ?
Yer academy has done an amazing job last few years of bringing players into the first team just a shame ye have lost so many would have been exciting to watch them develop together .
Yeah i think Cashin is staying. Fantastic wholehearted young player but nobody sure how he'll cope in the 1st div, supposedly full of big bully boys, he's not the biggest centre half. I think Knight will only be sold if we need to raise funds, him and Bird are the crown jewels, both been at the club since kids and part of the setup, id be gutted if Knight left but all quiet on him at the moment

Shame Watson has gone, skillful, great vision but only a skinny lad, not tough enough, would get destroyed next season. I dont think we can afford to be carrying players to see if they're going to kick on and he falls in to that catagory.

Worst thing for me losing all the kids. The sad thing is they've all gone to big clubs where most wont get a sniff of first team action, they've just been hoovered up for next to nowt, probably loaned out next season to try and get games.
The new owner has made it clear we're going to keep the catagory one Academy which is great news, need to make kids want to come to us again and not down the road to forest which could be tough.

Last edited:
Because they were literally weeks from being liquidated and being refused entry to the league next season.

Clowes buying Pride Park must have simplified things considerably as original plan was buyer of club not to buy pride park so another buyer of pride park was needed who’d then have to agree a rental agreement with the club buyer so it was all a bit messy I think.

That’s my understanding of it all at least

But from all of Clowe’s statement it appears he’s a highly reluctant owner and has bought club simply to save it and try to make the operation sustainable. I doubt he’ll be owner in 2 or 3 years.
You've nailed it with Clowes being reluctant, admits to not really knowing what to do himself, going to listen to experts. We just need a guardian to see the club through the next few years. His statement yesterday was brilliant, laid it all out that we have a lot to do just to be competitive again.

You've nailed it with Clowes being reluctant, admits to not really knowing what to do himself, going to listen to experts. We just need a guardian to see the club through the next few years. His statement yesterday was brilliant, laid it all out that we have a lot to do just to be competitive again.
Salmon pants has time on his hands, but just say no.

I’d argue football isn’t like any other business, SAFC are a prime example of that.

Serve up shit for over 10 years and still thousands are willing to pay for the privilege and devote huge chunks of their lives to it.

I’m struggling to think of any other business/industry where people will gladly still pay for mediocrity.

In hindsight, would administration have been better than the chuckle brother's deal? I'm guessing not, but still.

How come they get taken over and instantly have players confirmed within 24h?

Was always gunna be the case like. Similar to Wigan

Because they were literally weeks from being liquidated and being refused entry to the league next season.

Clowes buying Pride Park must have simplified things considerably as original plan was buyer of club not to buy pride park so another buyer of pride park was needed who’d then have to agree a rental agreement with the club buyer so it was all a bit messy I think.

That’s my understanding of it all at least

But from all of Clowe’s statement it appears he’s a highly reluctant owner and has bought club simply to save it and try to make the operation sustainable. I doubt he’ll be owner in 2 or 3 years.
does not sound like an ideal owner (Take into consideration I know F A) but sounds as though FA are kicking the ball into the long grass and closing their eyes to try and find it.

If the owners bought pride park for £20 million when 4 years ago it was sold for £80 million aren't they avoiding a lot of stamp duty and surely the custom's and excise should investigate?

If the owners bought pride park for £20 million when 4 years ago it was sold for £80 million aren't they avoiding a lot of stamp duty and surely the custom's and excise should investigate?

No. The entire Derby saga started because Pride Park was sold at a gross overvalue. If the property is subsequently sold for a much lower value, it's only an avoidance issue if the transaction is between two related parties at a value below arms' length price. The sale of Pride Park by Morris to Clowes is between unrelated parties (ie financially distinct), and is therefore de facto an arms' length price, and there can be no question of avoidance. It's akin to saying selling shares at a loss in an exercise in CGT avoidance.

does not sound like an ideal owner (Take into consideration I know F A) but sounds as though FA are kicking the ball into the long grass and closing their eyes to try and find it.
what do you want the fa to do-the chap has the money and is buying his hometown club..
if the f WANT to get involed somewhere..focus on the clubs being run to launder money-not the clubs owned by supporters

No. The entire Derby saga started because Pride Park was sold at a gross overvalue. If the property is subsequently sold for a much lower value, it's only an avoidance issue if the transaction is between two related parties at a value below arms' length price. The sale of Pride Park by Morris to Clowes is between unrelated parties (ie financially distinct), and is therefore de facto an arms' length price, and there can be no question of avoidance. It's akin to saying selling shares at a loss in an exercise in CGT avoidance.
It's fukin bent

Back