Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black dog is back. Sat down infront of PC on Thursday morning, looked at diary for the day and burst into tears.

Rang the GP, saw the nurse practitioner in the afternoon, back on the happy tablets.

Now the long trudge back up to daylight.

Seven years since this last happened, don't know what triggered it. I suspect it's mostly loneliness. WFH starting to chip away at me.

I trust the system though and know things will improve slowly.

Work being really supportive, I booked a couple of days leave and boss has told me we'll swap them to sick leave when I get back.

Black dog is back. Sat down infront of PC on Thursday morning, looked at diary for the day and burst into tears.

Rang the GP, saw the nurse practitioner in the afternoon, back on the happy tablets.

Seven years since this last happened, don't know what triggered it. I suspect it's mostly loneliness. WFH starting to chip away at me.

Work being really supportive, I booked a couple of days leave and boss has told me we'll swap them to sick leave when I get back.

Sorry to hear that marra.

At least you have recognised the signs and have sought help.

Definitely make sure you get the time you need away from work and it’s really positive that your employer is being understanding and supportive.

Keep us posted on how you get on and good luck with the meds.

So sorry to hear that marra but well done for recognising it early on and taking steps to help.

I'm freelance so don't have any colleagues and get where you're coming from. If you feel lonely and fancy a natter, give me a shout.

Well done, sounds like you've responded really positively. One of the things that really helped me was knowing I just needed to be patient and it would get better.

Look after yourself.

Browsing this thread with interest from A&E. Really scary how quickly it can deteriorate. Having a relatively normal day yesterday then somehow went "insane" during the evening and managed to injure myself.

Rang 111 for advice and next thing an ambulance is called

Genuinely frightened myself. I should have declined to attend really but when 3 paramedics turn up and recommend you go to hospital to get checked, it was a bit difficult to object

Do we just do it all wrong in the UK? There's dying people in here (as it should be). Shouldn't I have been able to talk to a GP ? Never mind what has happened to family support (mine is the most selfish dysfunctional lot in the universe)

Last time I tried the GP I basically got told to suffer. Now have completely given up on that as an option. But now the hell has a mental health episode turned into an ambulance job

On the plus side, it seems quite quiet and there's empty beds

Browsing this thread with interest from A&E. Really scary how quickly it can deteriorate. Having a relatively normal day yesterday then somehow went "insane" during the evening and managed to injure myself.

Rang 111 for advice and next thing an ambulance is called

Genuinely frightened myself. I should have declined to attend really but when 3 paramedics turn up and recommend you go to hospital to get checked, it was a bit difficult to object

Do we just do it all wrong in the UK? There's dying people in here (as it should be). Shouldn't I have been able to talk to a GP ? Never mind what has happened to family support (mine is the most selfish dysfunctional lot in the universe)

Last time I tried the GP I basically got told to suffer. Now have completely given up on that as an option. But now the hell has a mental health episode turned into an ambulance job

On the plus side, it seems quite quiet and there's empty beds
You seem to be alluding to injuring yourself deliberately, sorry if not. Then minimising your condition which is common amongst us when we have I'll mental health episodes. It sounds like the ambulance crew did the right thing as it at very least gives you time out.

GPs will usually speak to you if you say it's a mental health crisis. If not then go in to the surgery and tell them as it is much harder for them to deny you an appointment then. What did they say last time?

You seem to be alluding to injuring yourself deliberately, sorry if not. Then minimising your condition which is common amongst us when we have I'll mental health episodes. It sounds like the ambulance crew did the right thing as it at very least gives you time out.

GPs will usually speak to you if you say it's a mental health crisis. If not then go in to the surgery and tell them as it is much harder for them to deny you an appointment then. What did they say last time?
Only ever really antidepressants. Not sure what happened if am honest. Just couldn't face another night/day. It did afford me some time out though you're right.

Firstly well done for posting. Im no expert so someone else will probably know better but, if you don't feel supported from your GP, I wonder if it's worth you having numbers on hand for support (perhaps Samaritans on mind) that perhaps can help you before you reach crisis point. Hopefully you will get some information before being discharged. I hope some time out has helped.

can just say i had depression on a severe stage in my twentys.. and i relucntly saw a therapist.. or phycologist.. but he prob saved my life.. i still flash back to the dream or vision he installed in my memory when it gets too much.. tbh knowing that dream is there is enough to know your going to be ok.. now and again when it gets tough i have look.. even if i dont need to.. my point being as much as you think youre beyond help your not..

Last edited:
Only ever really antidepressants. Not sure what happened if am honest. Just couldn't face another night/day. It did afford me some time out though you're right.
You can refer yourself for therapy, completely bypassing your GP.
can just say i had depression on a severe stage in my twentys.. and i relucntly saw a therapist.. or phycologist.. but he prob saved my life.. i still flash back to the dream or vision he installed in my memory when it gets too much.. tbh knowing that dream is there is enough to know your going to be ok.. now and again when it gets tough i have look.. even if i dont need to.. my point being as much as you think youre beyond help your not..
I second this. I didn't go for psychotherapy until I was in my 40s. Unfortunately trauma and depression nearly destroyed my mind and I killed my marriage first. I'm doing the best I've ever managed now and I thought life could never be good.

Firstly well done for posting. Im no expert so someone else will probably know better but, if you don't feel supported from your GP, I wonder if it's worth you having numbers on hand for support (perhaps Samaritans on mind) that perhaps can help you before you reach crisis point. Hopefully you will get some information before being discharged. I hope some time out has helped.

Am just going to post this as the negative side of my brain is confused and this thread makes more sense than a single thing else I've heard this week.

So in about November the depression/anxiety I'd largely managed for years got bad.

This week I started to have those horrible thoughts re-emerge big time. Self harm was a serious option. I'd asked for help from family but got ignored (the 'man up' variety). Even worse is the cliche 'you have to help yourself, we have our own lives'. Actually more terrible is 'ring the NHS' - for reasons given below

GP just said you're on antidepressants so there's no more help I can give you save our practice MH professional. Spoke to her. She was hopeless and referred me on to the 'MH team'.

Came to a head this week. Couldn't actually locate a viable option to do the worst but did hurt myself

Rang 111 for advice. Next thing paramedics arrive despite me saying I don't want an ambulance. Refused to go with them until 3 (1 student who sat motionless) said we can't force you but you probably need to.

It was horrible at A&E. After about 8 hours, 1 coffee and a stale sandwich I was kicked out in the early hours. By that point I was that tired I didn't care.

Now, am in limbo. The MH professional hasn't returned my calls. No faith in GP. I don't want to talk to someone on the phone really as I struggle with 'talking' anyway.

I guess I was naive in thinking someone might actually follow up an ambulance and A&E visit.

This can't be right. Take the politics out of it. But after a pandemic and talk of a mental epidemic and this is all this country can offer?

Last edited:
Am just going to post this as the negative side of my brain is confused and this thread makes more sense than a single thing else I've heard this week.

So in about November the depression/anxiety I'd largely managed for years got bad.

This week I started to have those horrible thoughts re-emerge big time. Self harm was a serious option. I'd asked for help from family but got ignored (the 'man up' variety). Even worse is the cliche 'you have to help yourself, we have our own lives'. Actually more terrible is 'ring the NHS' - for reasons given below

GP just said you're on antidepressants so there's no more help I can give you save our practice MH professional. Spoke to her. She was hopeless and referred me on to the 'MH team'.

Came to a head this week. Couldn't actually locate a viable option to do the worst but did hurt myself

Rang 111 for advice. Next thing paramedics arrive despite me saying I don't want an ambulance. Refused to go with them until 3 (1 student who sat motionless) said we can't force you but you probably need to.

It was horrible at A&E. After about 8 hours, 1 coffee and a stale sandwich I was kicked out in the early hours. By that point I was that tired I didn't care.

Now, am in limbo. The MH professional hasn't returned my calls. No faith in GP. I don't want to talk to someone on the phone really as I struggle with 'talking' anyway.

I guess I was naive in thinking someone might actually follow up an ambulance and A&E visit.

This can't be right. Take the politics out of it. But after a pandemic and talk of a mental epidemic and this is all this country can offer?
Are there any online chats available that you could use instead of phone calls?

Also I would ask for my medication to be reviewed and see if it's the most helpful, or to be seen by another GP.

Last edited:
Are there any online chats available that you could use instead of phone calls?

Also I would ask for my medication to be reviewed and see if it's the most helpful, or to be seen by another GP.
It's getting tiring. At one point I was trying to speak with a GP (but not speaking) two or three times a week.

Every day at 8 am getting stuck in a queue of 30 odd people. It's really buggered. Can't I just join a queue for the MH pro? Am so worn down. Shouldn't have to phone 111

That's what I don't understand, A&E were able to prescribe me with me something which helped. But GP will not budge. NICE guidelines must be so strict.
Am going to phone the crisis team before long. Am put off by my ex ringing and having their numbers and all have they ever did was come out 2 days later, occasionally sedated her, more often tell her to shut up

Last edited:
It's getting tiring. At one point I was trying to speak with a GP (but not speaking) two or three times a week.

Every day at 8 am getting stuck in a queue of 30 odd people. It's really buggered. Can't I just join a queue for the MH pro? Am so worn down. Shouldn't have to phone 111

That's what I don't understand, A&E were able to prescribe me with me something which helped. But GP will not budge. NICE guidelines must be so strict.
Am going to phone the crisis team before long. Am put off by my ex ringing and having their numbers and all have they ever did was come out 2 days later, occasionally sedated her, more often tell her to shut up
Where do you live?

Sadly this is more often that not becoming the case. The services are so stretched you either get fobbed off with anti depressants as a first course of action, getting any type of therapy takes upwards of 6 months for a first session and that's just for basic mental health counselling. If there are any potentially more serious conditions needing to be looked into I.E ADHD, Bipolar etc you are likely to be handed over to your local access / mental health services. From my own experience this is just another service that is down to the bare bones where you either don't get phonecalls on appointment days, turn up only to be told the mental health practitioner is busy or off on the sick or even sometimes just go months without hearing from them only to be told "we'll we sent a letter out but you didn't attend the appointment".

My advice to you marra - do everything you can possibly do to identify exactly what is causing you distress. Find things that you enjoy doing and spend as much time on these as you can. Try and get out and exercise as much as possible, I've been on a 3 hour walk along the north East heritage coast today as been having a really bad slepp myself and its helped in the short term. If you need to take time off work to look after yourself then do it but make sure you don't fall into the drink and drugs trap, any time you do decide to take off make it clear to your employer that you don't want to be contacted / only to keep in touch and that you have a set of plans for each day that will improve your immediate wellbeing.

Ment health issues are becoming more prodominant especially after the last 2 or 3 years and the help so it seems is dwindling by the day. I've been registered with merrick House for 3 years now and am 2 1/2 years into the 4 year waiting list for formal adhd testing. I hadn't actually been to an appointment physically until 2 months ago as they kept getting cancelled or rearranged. It's an absolute disaster at the minute but you just have to keep chipping away mate and take each day as it comes!

My inbox is always open if you feel you need to talk privately.

Sadly this is more often that not becoming the case. The services are so stretched you either get fobbed off with anti depressants as a first course of action, getting any type of therapy takes upwards of 6 months for a first session and that's just for basic mental health counselling. If there are any potentially more serious conditions needing to be looked into I.E ADHD, Bipolar etc you are likely to be handed over to your local access / mental health services. From my own experience this is just another service that is down to the bare bones where you either don't get phonecalls on appointment days, turn up only to be told the mental health practitioner is busy or off on the sick or even sometimes just go months without hearing from them only to be told "we'll we sent a letter out but you didn't attend the appointment".
My advice to you marra - do everything you can possibly do to identify exactly what is causing you distress. Find things that you enjoy doing and spend as much time on these as you can. Try and get out and exercise as much as possible, I've been on a 3 hour walk along the north East heritage coast today as been having a really bad slepp myself and its helped in the short term. If you need to take time off work to look after yourself then do it but make sure you don't fall into the drink and drugs trap, any time you do decide to take off make it clear to your employer that you don't want to be contacted / only to keep in touch and that you have a set of plans for each day that will improve your immediate wellbeing.
Ment health issues are becoming more prodominant especially after the last 2 or 3 years and the help so it seems is dwindling by the day. I've been registered with merrick House for 3 years now and am 2 1/2 years into the 4 year waiting list for formal adhd testing. I hadn't actually been to an appointment physically until 2 months ago as they kept getting cancelled or rearranged. It's an absolute disaster at the minute but you just have to keep chipping away mate and take each day as it comes!
My inbox is always open if you feel you need to talk privately.

This sums up my experience when I was first trying to find help ten years ago. The hardest part is never "opening up", it's convincing people how much you need it. I've been wanting to seek a formal opinion on ASD/aspergers for a while but my past experiences just puts me off.

And I don't know if it's just me but walking usually makes me feel worse now - it justs helps me ruminate more. Admittedly it might be different with the right company.

This sums up my experience when I was first trying to find help ten years ago. The hardest part is never "opening up", it's convincing people how much you need it. I've been wanting to seek a formal opinion on ASD/aspergers for a while but my past experiences just puts me off.

And I don't know if it's just me but walking usually makes me feel worse now - it justs helps me ruminate more. Admittedly it might be different with the right company.

When you're out and about walking mate do you tend to over think or do you put some earphones in and just focus on the scenery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back