Depression

My eldest has been in a bad way over the last few years. He was diagnosed with depression and PTSD linked to abuse he suffered as a child. He's had a few bad breakdowns, including periods where he's had to move back home again as he couldn't cope.

He's battled on at uni as he was determined to finish his degree. He got his results today and he's managed to graduate with first class honours in Business and IT. I cannot put into words how proud I am of him.

He's starting a graduate teaching programme in September with a placement at a local school.
Class that mate

Didn’t expect to be back on this thread but seems that things getting back to normal hasn’t been the best. Realised that things aren’t going to get back to anything like normal for me and two years of my life have disappeared. Now feel quite depressed- could do with some time away/holiday but no inclination to go anywhere on my own.
Ask a friend to go away with you mate . Hope you are okay .

Didn’t expect to be back on this thread but seems that things getting back to normal hasn’t been the best. Realised that things aren’t going to get back to anything like normal for me and two years of my life have disappeared. Now feel quite depressed- could do with some time away/holiday but no inclination to go anywhere on my own.
Have you not got any friends you can visit in London or anywhere else? Even if it’s just meeting them after they finish work might be worth a day or two away?

Not sure if there will be any group holidays going on in the UK at the moment but you could book onto like a history tour or a food tour where everything is sorted for you and you would meet new people as part of it. Depends how you are with strangers I guess and how out there you want to put yourself but it could give you a lift

Have you not got any friends you can visit in London or anywhere else? Even if it’s just meeting them after they finish work might be worth a day or two away?
Trying to get something sorted to go to Poole to visit friends
Not sure if there will be any group holidays going on in the UK at the moment but you could book onto like a history tour or a food tour where everything is sorted for you and you would meet new people as part of it. Depends how you are with strangers I guess and how out there you want to put yourself but it could give you a lift
Might have a look at the history tour - always wanted to do the battlefields in France but that’s a no go at the moment which isn’t helping.

Last edited:
I defo have had a few moments of downbeat reflection on where I was before and during lockdowns and now the looming 'normality'

My eldest has been in a bad way over the last few years. He was diagnosed with depression and PTSD linked to abuse he suffered as a child. He's had a few bad breakdowns, including periods where he's had to move back home again as he couldn't cope.

He's battled on at uni as he was determined to finish his degree. He got his results today and he's managed to graduate with first class honours in Business and IT. I cannot put into words how proud I am of him.

He's starting a graduate teaching programme in September with a placement at a local school.

Brilliant achievement, though I'm not sure about his career choice if he's prone to stress and anxiety! After 28 years of it (also Business Studies and IT, as it happens) I finally saw the light and the last 13 years as a postman have done wonders for me physically and mentally! Really though, if it's the right job it can be a great one, though I would definitely recommend getting a few years under his belt and then hitting the international school trail.

My lad's not come through the pandemic so well, spent most of it locked in our attic rather than at Bristol Uni, while also trying to get himself diagnosed with ADHD and get on some medication. He eventually got the diagnosis via Psychiatry UK but there was such a backlog of applications (150% increase during lockdown!) that he still hasn't got his prescription after about 5 months on the waiting list. He's put a worrying amount of faith in the meds doing the trick for him but either way, it seems too late to salvage his degree. I'm hoping that the Uni, and Student Finance, will have to be more flexible due to the loss of overseas students.

That is excellent Becs

Have you looked at National Holiday mystery tours? My Aunt and Uncle go on them. You end up making friends with others on the coach. It's pick up early morning and back the next evening, so only a short time away to test the waters about how you feel about group trips.
Brilliant achievement, though I'm not sure about his career choice if he's prone to stress and anxiety! After 28 years of it (also Business Studies and IT, as it happens) I finally saw the light and the last 13 years as a postman have done wonders for me physically and mentally! Really though, if it's the right job it can be a great one, though I would definitely recommend getting a few years under his belt and then hitting the international school trail.

My lad's not come through the pandemic so well, spent most of it locked in our attic rather than at Bristol Uni, while also trying to get himself diagnosed with ADHD and get on some medication. He eventually got the diagnosis via Psychiatry UK but there was such a backlog of applications (150% increase during lockdown!) that he still hasn't got his prescription after about 5 months on the waiting list. He's put a worrying amount of faith in the meds doing the trick for him but either way, it seems too late to salvage his degree. I'm hoping that the Uni, and Student Finance, will have to be more flexible due to the loss of overseas students.

I have wondered that but it's something he's wanted to do from a young age. My Dad was a teacher so there's the following in his footsteps thing as well.

Hope your lad is ok. You can defer and take an extra year on Student Finance. My son had to drop out of a year and do it again when he was really poorly. The Uni should be able to help sort things out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope your lad is ok. You can defer and take an extra year on Student Finance. My son had to drop out of a year and do it again when he was really poorly. The Uni should be able to help sort things out.

Slight problem in that he's already had to redo one year! I think we could put in a decent claim for extenuating circumstances though. Otherwise I might have to put in a bit more effort with the matched betting or scrape around in my meagre pension pot and help fund him, if he still wants to persevere. Feel that he deserves the chance to have a proper go at it, especially after what our young uns have had to put up with recently.

Trying to get something sorted to go to Poole to visit friends

Might have a look at the history tour - always wanted to do the battlefields in France but that’s a no go at the moment which isn’t helping.
I'm in a similar boat. Once they finally drop the need for tests I'll be off somewhere hot to do some cycling/laying about/drinking.

Know this is a pretty frequently discussed topic on here and a lot of good advice is given so here goes.

Been suffering from depression for years and I'm currently going through one of those stages where I'm just constantly feeling shit no matter what I do and am really struggling to get up in the morning to go to work and can barely go an hour without having a suicidal thought, took an overdose of pills last year but that didn't work and in all honesty I feel like I did around that time, but don't really have the bottle to try owt like that again. Know fine well that I don't help myself in some aspects but just want to get to the point where I can live a relatively normal life.

I'm not especially close to my family and whilst I do love them I can't really bring myself to confide in them, been fucked about and fobbed off at every opportunity by the doctors whenever I go to see them about it, I do know that I can always tell my best friend but I don't want to bother them again with this shit, especially after a little drunken heart-to-heart we had last night, so just thought I'd give this a go.
I'm a scientist but alas without a degree as I discovered this particular science, but then again Fraud was also without a degree so I might be worth reading.

Depression is a battle between ourselves and our alter ego, a chemical war caused by clock differences. When we meet someone we instantly gel with, that is all about similar emotional reaction times. eg: You meet a reaaly nice lass, your adrenilin then takes you to a dreamland within your own mind. If certain hormones respond at the same rate you'll have stability. If however they lag behind and arrive a day later, your inner world of absolute delight fghts back as if to say "this is my pleasure party and you've just spoilt it with reality" You then start to find future problems with a relationship that hasn't even got off the ground.

This example I've posed is common, as common as losing love after sex "La Petite Mort"

I'm autistic and have to manufactuer empathy, so can just switch off to order and view everything without sentiment.

Proof? My missus was institution bound when I met her, 15 years of hell with her drove me to discover my science because I had to. I don't have all the answers, but some is better than none.

She's in good shape...I wish you the same 👍

If you fancy a pint before the Hull game, lemme knar

That is excellent Becs
Alright mate, I might have you mixed up with someone else but are you teds marra?

if you are who I think I’m sure you’ve donned the whites once or twice and turned out for the SMB cricket team or possibly a social game at littletown??

have a look into littletown cc, lovely spot to watch a bit cricket and some really decent people involved throughout. Apologies if I’ve got the wrong lad and if I have pop in anyway.

Alright mate, I might have you mixed up with someone else but are you teds marra?

if you are who I think I’m sure you’ve donned the whites once or twice and turned out for the SMB cricket team or possibly a social game at littletown??

have a look into littletown cc, lovely spot to watch a bit cricket and some really decent people involved throughout. Apologies if I’ve got the wrong lad and if I have pop in anyway.
I am Teds mate but not the one you are thinking about.

Just a bit of a bump for this and to say my Inbox is always open in the strictest of confidence to anybody. I have recently just passed a level 3 Mental Health Awareness and along with personal experience i do have a decent understanding of mental health and am more than happy to offer advice if i can do
Very worthy and generous of you, sir/madam.

Back