Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have had to make an appointment at the Doctors not sure if is anxiety causing the pains in my chest which is knotted and feels like bursting or something more serious. Never been like tis before and not really sure what I should be doing - work have referred mue to the Employee Assistance Programme but not sure what they have to offer.
Get it checked out. Way better to be safe than sorry in these situations and the NHS would prefer to catch any potential issues sooner rather than later.

If it’s nowt, at least it will put your mind at rest on that score.

Have had to make an appointment at the Doctors not sure if is anxiety causing the pains in my chest which is knotted and feels like bursting or something more serious. Never been like tis before and not really sure what I should be doing - work have referred mue to the Employee Assistance Programme but not sure what they have to offer.
I probably had a very similar situation. And the whole gp thing then work and occupational health etc.

It was very hit and miss to find the right help. Be interested to hear how you get on.

It sounds like anxiety but best to get checked out. Keep your chin up.

Definitely get it checked out to be on the safe side.

Sorry to hear about all the other stuff. Is it possible to save your marriage? Not prying and you don't have to answer that on here. Just think about it. Do everything you can if you want to keep it.

Take care mate xx

Definitely get it checked out to be on the safe side.

Sorry to hear about all the other stuff. Is it possible to save your marriage? Not prying and you don't have to answer that on here. Just think about it. Do everything you can if you want to keep it.

Take care mate xx

Although its 5 weeks since she said it I didn't really think she meant it at first and was something we would work through. When I try to speak to her she wants nothing to do with me - just feel my whole world has collapsed and I can't even get out of the house I really don't know what to do -

Although its 5 weeks since she said it I didn't really think she meant it at first and was something we would work through. When I try to speak to her she wants nothing to do with me - just feel my whole world has collapsed and I can't even get out of the house I really don't know what to do -
Keep going mate. This lockdown has been brutal. Get out the other side and reassess. Plenty of people around to ask for help and don't be afraid to.

Time are tough at the moment and I feel for you. Is there anyway you can get out of the house alone together? Normally a meal or drink out somewhere might give you the chance to talk on neutral territory without distractions but that's hard right now. Maybe a walk somewhere instead? It's worth a suggestion and see how you go from there.

Emotion and sadness can cause physical pain - the term 'broken heart' is real when a bit of it goes missing.
Take all options mate - just sharing the difficulty can help you toss around possible directions to go in.

Having a bit of a bad time at the moment - my wife told me she wanted us to split up just as this Covid hit, my eldest daughter is home from University and is hardly speaking to me I think for the same reason. Feel absolutely shit at the moment have suffered from mild depression in the past but not to this extent just worthless feelings and looking back thinking of the things I should have done for my marriage and kids. I know there's no time machine but can't help looking at the photo of the lids in the junior schools and thinking if only. To make things worse both me and the mrs are both working from home.

and just been told working from home will be for another 6-12 months ffs.

Sorry to hear that, it must be really hard and claustrophobic to be going through that at this time. These are such strange, unprecedented times for any of us. Try not to punish yourself for things you feel you could have done differently - there isn't a person alive who couldn't have "done more" every day of their lives.

Are you able to exercise - in whichever way works best for you? Just to start getting some positive thoughts going?

I'm in such a horrible place this week. Not having the best time generally in what is now my 11th week of lockdown and isolation, and I've had some thoughts over the last 48 hours about ending it (I've snapped out of it don't worry). I'm just at a point where I can't see any future for me where I feel anything other than this. But to make it worse today, I've had an issue at work. I have a bit of a fractious relationship with my boss at the best of times, but I'm good at my job. In a one to one meeting over the phone today, he weaponised my mental health against me. He pointed out what he considered to be negative reactions (1 was and 2 he twisted or misinterpreted) and insinuated it's because of my mental health. Now I recognise that I have mental health concerns but I'm professional, do my job and these negative reactions were valid concerns I had. So I'm at a point where any concerns I have over a work issue can be written off by my manager as "mental health" and not taken seriously.

Not sure if I posted this before but just in case I didn't worth looking into with the pros

I'm in such a horrible place this week. Not having the best time generally in what is now my 11th week of lockdown and isolation, and I've had some thoughts over the last 48 hours about ending it (I've snapped out of it don't worry). I'm just at a point where I can't see any future for me where I feel anything other than this. But to make it worse today, I've had an issue at work. I have a bit of a fractious relationship with my boss at the best of times, but I'm good at my job. In a one to one meeting over the phone today, he weaponised my mental health against me. He pointed out what he considered to be negative reactions (1 was and 2 he twisted or misinterpreted) and insinuated it's because of my mental health. Now I recognise that I have mental health concerns but I'm professional, do my job and these negative reactions were valid concerns I had. So I'm at a point where any concerns I have over a work issue can be written off by my manager as "mental health" and not taken seriously.

FWIW that sounds to me very much like your boss is feeling the strain himself. Not in any way justifying or excusing him of course - just that it sounds very much like the issues are his issues, so I would take it with a pinch of salt (easy for me to say I know).

I see it quite a bit at work myself - I'm lucky that the job I do can by and large be done remotely (I worked from home even before this has happened) but I've been really surprised to see which people have obviously struggled, and how much they appear to have been struggling, and how it manifests itself.

I think we are all struggling to a greater or lesser extent (not minimising what you are saying, it's a shite place to be), I've been to some similar places, and if you ever want to DM, even just to vent, please do, it would be a welcome distraction.

Take care and look after yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Posting on here because I know I'm a twat at the moment and can't talk to anyone.

I know I'm not rational right now but talking to people is just pissing me off. Just trivial things like talking to a friend about things and them trying to make me "see the upside" is annoying me. I can see through it and it and the "upside" just seems completely hollow and full of bullshit. It's not an upside at all, it just feels like people want me to say "ah well, it could be worse" and pretend. To be honest, I'm just going to tell them all I'm fine to get them to leave me alone.

I slept for 2 hours last night. Fortunately the doc has agreed to give me something for my sleep which I will pick up from tomorrow so hopefully that will help. I'm taking a bit of time away from work which will hopefully allow me to build healthy routine without the stress of work.

But in the meantime, I honestly don't see how looking for the positives helps. It's like putting a plaster on a broken leg. It's purely asthetic and does nothing but exhaust me. It seems like accepting how I feel is the first step I need to take, but that is a mixture of sadness, emptiness and anger. No-one wants to be near that.

"it could be worse" and such phrases are not helpful. It dismisses your feelings and makes you feel like your upset isn't valid. What you have said above is how you are feeling now and it's perfectly alright to feel like that. Many people are struggling to find the positives right now. It's a pretty shit situation all round to be brutally honest!

I've said before but lack of sleep is a killer both physically and mentally. Hopefully a combination of the tablets and a rest away from work over the weekend will help a bit.

Take care xx

Posting on here because I know I'm a twat at the moment and can't talk to anyone.

I know I'm not rational right now but talking to people is just pissing me off. Just trivial things like talking to a friend about things and them trying to make me "see the upside" is annoying me. I can see through it and it and the "upside" just seems completely hollow and full of bullshit. It's not an upside at all, it just feels like people want me to say "ah well, it could be worse" and pretend. To be honest, I'm just going to tell them all I'm fine to get them to leave me alone.

I slept for 2 hours last night. Fortunately the doc has agreed to give me something for my sleep which I will pick up from tomorrow so hopefully that will help. I'm taking a bit of time away from work which will hopefully allow me to build healthy routine without the stress of work.

But in the meantime, I honestly don't see how looking for the positives helps. It's like putting a plaster on a broken leg. It's purely asthetic and does nothing but exhaust me. It seems like accepting how I feel is the first step I need to take, but that is a mixture of sadness, emptiness and anger. No-one wants to be near that.

I can certainly identify with all that, I've been there before. So I'm not sure if what I say here will be medically accurate or even good advice but it's an honest opinion having been in that place.

It's good that you have friends who you are talking to, hold on to that. You mentioned that you might pretend everything is OK, just to avoid the hassle - I can see that that is a temptation, but if you had a mate who was in a bad place, would you want them to hide it from you? They may not know what to say, they may say the wrong things, they may irritate the fuck out of you, or all three but the fact that you have that dialogue with them is a good thing, especially if it is as honest as you feel you can be. Hold onto that.

I'm sure the medication for sleep will help - insomnia isn't something I suffer from when depressed, I do the opposite and sleep far too much, but that must be awful, and it's great that you have done something about that. I'm sure that will be a huge help.

I do know what you mean about 'looking for the positives' in every situation not being realistic. Some advice that I got that worked for me (off someone on here actually) was to look for one positive thing in the day. Just one. Can be something really simple - a bird singing, someone in your street doing something nice, someone at work helping you, absolutely anything. Sorry if you want to throw something at me, but it really worked for me.

One of the things that I come back to when it comes to recovering from depression is that it is impossible to move from where you seem to be to being OK in one fell swoop, or through 'positive thinking'. So that first step in the right direction can really help turn things around, especially when you are able to look back at where you have come from.

And its ok to be honest about feeling, in your words, sad, empty, and angry.

Take care.

After putting up with severe night sweats for weeks on end and then waking up as if I’d never fell asleep doctor took me off sertraline.

had to lower dosage then I actually did not take any for about four days. I actually felt great I felt normal I slept great woke up fresh. Then started taking fluoxetine Monday. Felt like shot since and had my first panic attack tonight for a long time.f***ing foaming here. Don’t know what to do whether to stick or twist. I’ll ring doctor again tom.

sending love to everyone. Rhubarb. X

After putting up with severe night sweats for weeks on end and then waking up as if I’d never fell asleep doctor took me off sertraline.

had to lower dosage then I actually did not take any for about four days. I actually felt great I felt normal I slept great woke up fresh. Then started taking fluoxetine Monday. Felt like shot since and had my first panic attack tonight for a long time.f***ing foaming here. Don’t know what to do whether to stick or twist. I’ll ring doctor again tom.

sending love to everyone. Rhubarb. X

Try to slow down on the drink marra. It won't be helping. I am a hypocrite here like because I'm hammering the booze too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back