Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks mate, it’s only day two for me.. but I just feel really spaced out and my anxiety has been going through the roof.
I’m going to try and ride it out though, and just see how I get on!
Im on different ones now which make me constantly hungry seems all the tablets im on i just get the side effects rather than the benefits

Lad I went to school with (from Nursery to Year 11) and used to play junior football with has just took his own life last night/this morning.

Awful shock. He was brought up by his Nana and she passed away a couple years ago and he used to post about missing her a lot but wanting to make her proud. Also think he struggled to get access to see his kid.

Awful shock, thats 2 lads from the same group at school in just over a year. 25 years old. Such a shame.

Sorry to hear that mate. It is a huge shock to hear news like this. Sending my love xx
been in quite a bad way recently. Had a genuinely crazy year with all sorts of silly stuff going on but it's been manageable, for some reason it has all been a bit too much recently and having quite an impact. I think it is likely down to getting injured and not being able to exercise daily (routine is important to me) and therefore not sleeping and all the other knock on effects.

I know what I need to do to help myself start turning it around, but actually doing it is another thing

Sorry to hear that marra. Stopping exercise is torture! I was really frustrated after my recent surgery so I know how you feel. Can you manage anything gentle? Even just a brisk walk might do some good. Not the best of weather for it like! Keep plodding on and you'll get there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear that marra. Stopping exercise is torture! I was really frustrated after my recent surgery so I know how you feel. Can you manage anything gentle? Even just a brisk walk might do some good. Not the best of weather for it like! Keep plodding on and you'll get there.

Yeah I am thinking now of ways i can exercise just to get that routine back. Some gentle walks would be better than nothing (I used to post under the name Biscuits btw, this is another username as someone played silly buggers with that one!)

Yeah I am thinking now of ways i can exercise just to get that routine back. Some gentle walks would be better than nothing (I used to post under the name Biscuits btw, this is another username as someone played silly buggers with that one!)

If you’re able to go swimming, I’d highly recommend it mate. Better than any impact exercise and due to the bookings of swim lanes etc, it’ll be easy to get back into a settled routine.

I am not normally a one who struggles mentally usually, but over the past eight weeks have been at times a real struggle. For the past 8 or 9 weeks have been off work due to ill health. It started off as a viral illness (fatigue, lack of energy etc), then as I was trying recover from that was struck with a nasty bout of vomiting & diarrhoea. Then on top of that a few days later was hit with bad chest infection.

I found I was struggling mentally as I was trying to adjust with being off work for so long and also found it hard as I was usually active, found it hard to being a inactive. I am lucky in that my wife works in mental health and was able to pick up the signs of my low mood and getting me to talk to her.

I found I was stressing/worrying about my job, but even though they were great and understanding (I work for a GP surgery) I still tried to push myself thinking it was all in my head etc. I forced myself to go into work last week and barely managed half an hour, luckily my boss had sat me down for a chat and basically told me to take as long as I needed etc, which helped me mentally.

Last week I received news which totally floored me. My GP had referred me as standard for a Chest X-Ray because of my chest infection. Went for the X-Ray last Wednesday and just thought it would be okay, got a phone call from my GP first thing last Thursday morning, the X-Ray had shown an irregular mass on my chest and a red flag referral to the Chest Clinic and a CT scan was needed. I was a total mess mentally after the phone call. Rang my wife who was distraught at the news. I rang my work, who were great and helped calm me by explaining that it may not be as bad as it sounds and could be something simple as pneumonia.

I got the appointment straight away for Tuesday gone, but Sunday past was a huge struggle for me mentally, was really down/low at the thought what it might be, but my wife and in-laws were a great support to me.

Had my chest clinic appointment on Tuesday and Consultant explained as that it may not be anything sinister but I still needed the CT scan and if that was abnormal would need a camera test to see what it is.

Had the CT scan on Tuesday and now just waiting.

Over this last week I probably wouldn’t have been able to get through it mentally without the support from my wife, family and work.

I am not normally a one who struggles mentally usually, but over the past eight weeks have been at times a real struggle. For the past 8 or 9 weeks have been off work due to ill health. It started off as a viral illness (fatigue, lack of energy etc), then as I was trying recover from that was struck with a nasty bout of vomiting & diarrhoea. Then on top of that a few days later was hit with bad chest infection.

I found I was struggling mentally as I was trying to adjust with being off work for so long and also found it hard as I was usually active, found it hard to being a inactive. I am lucky in that my wife works in mental health and was able to pick up the signs of my low mood and getting me to talk to her.

I found I was stressing/worrying about my job, but even though they were great and understanding (I work for a GP surgery) I still tried to push myself thinking it was all in my head etc. I forced myself to go into work last week and barely managed half an hour, luckily my boss had sat me down for a chat and basically told me to take as long as I needed etc, which helped me mentally.

Last week I received news which totally floored me. My GP had referred me as standard for a Chest X-Ray because of my chest infection. Went for the X-Ray last Wednesday and just thought it would be okay, got a phone call from my GP first thing last Thursday morning, the X-Ray had shown an irregular mass on my chest and a red flag referral to the Chest Clinic and a CT scan was needed. I was a total mess mentally after the phone call. Rang my wife who was distraught at the news. I rang my work, who were great and helped calm me by explaining that it may not be as bad as it sounds and could be something simple as pneumonia.

I got the appointment straight away for Tuesday gone, but Sunday past was a huge struggle for me mentally, was really down/low at the thought what it might be, but my wife and in-laws were a great support to me.

Had my chest clinic appointment on Tuesday and Consultant explained as that it may not be anything sinister but I still needed the CT scan and if that was abnormal would need a camera test to see what it is.

Over this last week I probably wouldn’t have been able to get through it mentally without the support from my wife, family and work.
Hopefully, your scan results will be favourable.
My own battle with depression started, when I suddenly became ill in 2008, and I eventually had to leave my job of 21 years, due to a long term debilitating illness, which took me to hell and back, for 11 years.
I struggled to pay bills on time, and missed the daily company, and banter, of my work mates.
I was too unwell, to go to the match, and my weight dropped from 12 to 8 stones, and I looked skeletal, and shut myself away, from everybody who cared about me.
I was fortunate, that I responded well to medication and counselling, though I still have days, where I'm not in a good place, and shut myself away, for a while.
I'm finally well again, physically, and for the most part, am enjoying life again (though not the football)
Hopefully your health and fortunes, will start to improve, and life will be good for you again.
Best of luck, and fingers crossed, for good scan results.

It's good you've got coping strategies in place. Hope you hear soon and get good results from the scans xx

Has anyone taking amitriptyline before? I've been giving these for bad headaches. It's got my mood all owa, they're terrible anti depressants :D:D

Has anyone taking amitriptyline before? I've been giving these for bad headaches. It's got my mood all owa, they're terrible anti depressants :D:D
They, along with one to one, counselling, worked well, for me.
Not all medication, will suit everybody, and side effects, can occur, with all medicines.
Keep a diary of how you feel, each day, while you're on the Amitriptyline, and give your system, enough time, to adjust to the medication.
Not all meds, work, instantaneously, so, If after a while, you see no noticeable improvement, go back and have a chat, with your GP, about using an alternative medication.
Best of luck.

Anyone else find themselves doing this...?

Buy a load of food online from a supermarket delivery service.
Can't bring myself to cook it.
End up throwing most of it out.
Spend stupid amounts of money on takeaways instead even though I can't afford it.
Rinse and repeat.

They, along with one to one, counselling, worked well, for me.
Not all medication, will suit everybody, and side effects, can occur, with all medicines.
Keep a diary of how you feel, each day, while you're on the Amitriptyline, and give your system, enough time, to adjust to the medication.
Not all meds, work, instantaneously, so, If after a while, you see no noticeable improvement, go back and have a chat, with your GP, about using an alternative medication.
Best of luck.
Is a side effect overuse of commas? ;) hope you’re feeling better mate that’s a huge weight loss to go through, couldn’t imagine being 8 stone it must have been terrifying.

Is a side effect overuse of commas? ;) hope you’re feeling better mate that’s a huge weight loss to go through, couldn’t imagine being 8 stone it must have been terrifying.
:lol:
I'm fine thanks Joe.
I always put too many commas in sentences, because I used to get told off at school, for not putting enough of them in, my essays :lol:
It's took 11 years to get back to almost 12 stones, and am now able to walk again, and live a normal life again, and get to the match again, and I feel fitter now, than when I was in my 20's.

Anyone else find themselves doing this...?

Buy a load of food online from a supermarket delivery service.
Can't bring myself to cook it.
End up throwing most of it out.
Spend stupid amounts of money on takeaways instead even though I can't afford it.
Rinse and repeat.

Could you buy say ready meals for five days and ingredients for two days? Might be less daunting if you know you only have to cook for two days and it would save you some money.
I always put too many commas in sentences, because I used to get told off at school, for not putting enough of them in, my essays :lol:

Comma, comma, comma, comma, comma, Horley Chorley

Nah it doesn't really scan :lol:

Could you buy say ready meals for five days and ingredients for two days? Might be less daunting if you know you only have to cook for two days and it would save you some money.

Hi Becs.

Sounds simple, but I'm just sick of almost all food. I just can't face almost everything. At the best of times I can't eat most ready meals as most of them have stuff in that I don't eat even when I'm tip-top (vegetables etc.), but at the moment it's even worse than normal and I find myself turning my nose up at even the stuff I used to like. The thought of eating it makes me nauseated.

So much food that would be so easy to cook, and I leave it and leave it and then start to think "it's probably not at its best anymore" and leave it a bit longer and then "I'm not sure if it's even edible anymore" and leave it a bit longer and then end up binning it.

I'll even get a takeaway and eat half of it and put the rest in the fridge for the next day (they way I always have) and then the next day I look at it and think "[sigh], no", buy another takeaway and bin the previous one.

I thought Amitriptyline was mainly used for pain relief these days rather than depression, I was given it years ago for IBS of all things and was told it was an old fashioned antidepressant drug

...and then I have days when I feel guilty about all the money I've spent on takeaways and don't eat anything at all.

...and then I wake up feeling starving the next day and buy a takeaway breakfast.

Hi Becs.

Sounds simple, but I'm just sick of almost all food. I just can't face almost everything. At the best of times I can't eat most ready meals as most of them have stuff in that I don't eat even when I'm tip-top (vegetables etc.), but at the moment it's even worse than normal and I find myself turning my nose up at even the stuff I used to like. The thought of eating it makes me nauseated.

So much food that would be so easy to cook, and I leave it and leave it and then start to think "it's probably not at its best anymore" and leave it a bit longer and then "I'm not sure if it's even edible anymore" and leave it a bit longer and then end up binning it.

I'll even get a takeaway and eat half of it and put the rest in the fridge for the next day (they way I always have) and then the next day I look at it and think "[sigh], no", buy another takeaway and bin the previous one.
Try cooking meals from fresh. If like me you dont have a clue, try Gusto, you get all the ingredients in set portions and a paint by numbers recipe for each meal. It’s expensive but if you get the introductory deal it works out cheaper than the shops. Certainly cheaper than takeaways.

It’s given me a good understanding of flavours, seasoning and spices that I would never have had and given me the confidence to share some of the responsibility of cooking which I never used to do. I’ve cooked some meals and thought fuck me how did I cook this!

Hi Becs.

That sounds difficult! You could buy what you need for a day or two, but I'm guessing if you have an online shop, you're not keen on going to the shops?

Food doesn't go off that quickly mind as long as you're storing it properly. Maybe read food safety web pages and put your mind at rest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back