Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that's been a crazy few weeks.

The builders took forever to get finished, and it all got on top of me a bit after week 4 onwards. Thankfully its all done now (except some bits I'm going to finish myself that require good weather - so might not get done this year now).

Work went insane again, I've done what I needed to - but made sure to tell the new boss that its not something that can become normal as its burning me out.

Just had a week's holiday with the family, all 7 of us. Was quite nice getting away from it all, even thought its not quite a "relaxing" break when you've got 3 kids to look after (including a pair of 4 month-ers)

Basically packed in all "proper" home DIY projects for the year now. Ok, I put up some external lighting today, but that's just playing with new toys really. Got a few bits and bobs to do, but nothing that's going to be more than a few hours and nothing that's going to stress me out.

Just ordered my Prozac, and noticed its the last refill before I have to have a proper appointment. Luckily, I managed get one with the first bloke that I saw - so it'll be nice to have a chat with him and talk about possibly coming off the tablets.
I think I'd like to know one way or another if I'm actually reliant on pills now, or if its something I can get off. I don't really want to take tablets forever. I even want to get off PPIs soon too - but one thing at a time, as getting off those is a nightmare.

What’s people’s thoughts of propanalol?

Taking that along with amitriptyline which I’ve been doing for 6 weeks now. I’m better than I was.. but still not 100%. Trying to only have one drink in the whole of November.. so hopefully feel much better from that.

Taking that along with amitriptyline which I’ve been doing for 6 weeks now. I’m better than I was.. but still not 100%. Trying to only have one drink in the whole of November.. so hopefully feel much better from that.

I'm taking Propanolol with Escitalopram.
I take one first thing in the morning and one mid afternoon. It helps take the edge off a bit.
I'm on my fourth week and things are getting slowly but gradually better.

I overdid it on the red wine last night and this morning felt terrible - as bad as I felt a couple of weeks ago. I had to go back to bed so there's a lesson learnt there.

Keep going and good luck

I've not had Propanalol, but was prescribed Amitriptyline.
That, along with one to one counselling,, benefited me, hugely, as far as my mental health, went.
Am no longer on medication for MH, but need daily meds, for the rest of my life, for my physical wellbeing.
Hopefully you'll benefit from the meds, given time.
Best of luck.
I'm taking Propanolol with Escitalopram.
I take one first thing in the morning and one mid afternoon. It helps take the edge off a bit.
I'm on my fourth week and things are getting slowly but gradually better.

I overdid it on the red wine last night and this morning felt terrible - as bad as I felt a couple of weeks ago. I had to go back to bed so there's a lesson learnt there.

Keep going and good luck
Am happy to see, things are gradually getting better for you.
With MH issues, there's no real quick fix, you have to let the meds get to work, and trust they'll be right for you personally, as not all people, respond well, to the meds they're prescribed.
It's a bit of trial and error, though with continued use, sufferers gradually start seeing an improvement, in their condition.
Best of luck, for your continued improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember the evening this happened a decade ago & the yellow flicker headline coming up on SSN.
Horrible that the poor guy felt he had no other option.
Hopefully things have moved on in terms of mental health awareness & help available in the last ten years.

I’ve ditched the amitriptyline after 6 weeks.
I felt slightly better but not as good as I know I can be at all.

doctors gave me sertaline, something I’ve never tried.. took my first dosage yesterday (50mg) and felt horrific later in the day.
But been told these can make you worse before they make you better? Anyone got any experience on these? :)

doctors gave me sertaline, something I’ve never tried.. took my first dosage yesterday (50mg) and felt horrific later in the day.
But been told these can make you worse before they make you better? Anyone got any experience on these? :)
Yes, that's normal mate.

When I went on them, I was climbing the walls from day 2 until about day 5, then it slowly got better. But I got headaches that never really went away, and after 2-3 months I switched to Fluoxitine (Prozac).
I think you've started on more than double what I did as well.

Try to hang in if you can mate.

Went cold turkey off venlafaxine (225mg) a couple of weeks back.

Felt utter shite after a couple of days for 24 hours or so but far better ever since.

Talk about a love hate relationship with something that helped save my life in the past.

Lad I went to school with (from Nursery to Year 11) and used to play junior football with has just took his own life last night/this morning.

Awful shock. He was brought up by his Nana and she passed away a couple years ago and he used to post about missing her a lot but wanting to make her proud. Also think he struggled to get access to see his kid.

Awful shock, thats 2 lads from the same group at school in just over a year. 25 years old. Such a shame.

Hope you feel better mate, i was on sertraline for a while it making me exhausted on afternoon and terrible headaches are these side effects you got

Lad I went to school with (from Nursery to Year 11) and used to play junior football with has just took his own life last night/this morning.

Awful shock. He was brought up by his Nana and she passed away a couple years ago and he used to post about missing her a lot but w,anting to make her proud. Also think he struggled to get access to see his kid.

Awful shock, thats 2 lads from the same group at school in just over a year. 25 years old. Such a shame.
Thats very sad.
Suicide/attempted suicide, is sadly, becoming more prevalent, these days, especially among younger people.
Especially sad, that he leaves behind a bairn, who'll grow up without a Dad.
Whatever the reasons, for taking his own life, he'll hopefully be at peace now.
Sincere condolences, and may your friend, rest in peace. 😣

been in quite a bad way recently. Had a genuinely crazy year with all sorts of silly stuff going on but it's been manageable, for some reason it has all been a bit too much recently and having quite an impact. I think it is likely down to getting injured and not being able to exercise daily (routine is important to me) and therefore not sleeping and all the other knock on effects.

I know what I need to do to help myself start turning it around, but actually doing it is another thing

Thats very sad.
Suicide/attempted suicide, is sadly, becoming more prevalent, these days, especially among younger people.
Especially sad, that he leaves behind a bairn, who'll grow up without a Dad.
Whatever the reasons, for taking his own life, he'll hopefully be at peace now.
Sincere condolences, and may your friend, rest in peace. 😣

Yeah it's alarming. Not particularly close to him since we stopped playing football together at about 13/14 years old. But seen him most weeks in pub and would say hello. Just when it's close to home it effects you a bit more. Hopefully others who see it and maybe struggling will see that there are plenty people who will help

Awful shock. He was brought up by his Nana and she passed away a couple years ago and he used to post about missing her a lot but wanting to make her proud. Also think he struggled to get access to see his kid.

awful news, really sorry to hear this.

Also, make sure you take care of yourself when dealing with this kind of news. It doesn't matter if it is not someone you are close to now, we all deal with these things differently and news of this scale can obviously impact people very hard. It's understandable that this news is front and centre of your thoughts right now but If you find yourself thinking about it so much that it is affecting your own mental health then you need to take some action to deal with that

Hope you feel better mate, i was on sertraline for a while it making me exhausted on afternoon and terrible headaches are these side effects you got
Thanks mate, it’s only day two for me.. but I just feel really spaced out and my anxiety has been going through the roof.
I’m going to try and ride it out though, and just see how I get on!

Yeah it's alarming. Not particularly close to him since we stopped playing football together at about 13/14 years old. But seen him most weeks in pub and would say hello. Just when it's close to home it effects you a bit more. Hopefully others who see it and maybe struggling will see that there are plenty people who will help

Very very sad indeed.
People get trapped in a bubble and just need to come out of it to realise there is support to help them. Most often thus is only an arms length away albeit family and close friends. It’s having that confidence to open up.
This Message Board have some incredible and warm people that post on it. Sure they support a shite football team but there some real decent people who post.
You know who you are.

Sorry to hear that mate :(

been in quite a bad way recently. Had a genuinely crazy year with all sorts of silly stuff going on but it's been manageable, for some reason it has all been a bit too much recently and having quite an impact. I think it is likely down to getting injured and not being able to exercise daily (routine is important to me) and therefore not sleeping and all the other knock on effects.

I know what I need to do to help myself start turning it around, but actually doing it is another thing
Depression can slowly creep up on a person, without them actually noticing.
Things like, suddenly, having little interest, in doing things, that were previously important to a person.
Having a noticeable lack of energy, or get up and go, feeling sluggish, no appetite for food becoming irritable, feeling down, for little or no apparent reason, feeling weepy.
All these things, are warning signs, that something just isn't right, somewhere.
Lack of quality sleep, a long term illness or injury, trouble/unhappiness, at home, or in the workplace can all trigger depression.
Once, fully in the grip of depression, it's often difficult to get out of it's grip, without the correct help, and treatment.
I would say to anybody, who feels something is not quite right within themselves, to have a chat with friends, family, and then go and see your GP, who'll understand your fears, and will give you any help, you may need.
Don't put off, seeing a GP, thinking you'll be wasting their time, and that everything will be ok, and you'll eventually "snap out of it" because I know, from experience, this is often, not the case.
Better to be safe, than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back