Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really struggling at the minute.

Feel completely hopeless and that I would be better off topping myself. I’m just so sick of feeling shite all the time, it gets exhausting.
Things can get better. Keep fighting. Are you getting any help with how you feel?

Really struggling at the minute.

Feel completely hopeless and that I would be better off topping myself. I’m just so sick of feeling shite all the time, it gets exhausting.

No you wouldn't. You'd leave a big hole in people's lives. You might not see it right now but people do love and care about you.

What's happening? Talk to us and we'll see how we can fix things. Look after yourself mate xx

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.

I’m getting help thankfully, seeing a psychiatrist and psychologist through west park hospital in Darlington. They have changed my meds so that isn’t helping.

I’m off work at the minute (teacher) and have been since June. I don’t intend to go back and will be out of teaching in December. So I need to embark on a new career, however I’m not in the right place to be considering that.

But as many of you will have experienced I worry about the future and catastrophise everything to the point I can’t sleep or feel like I’m going to have a heart attack. I’m now convinced my life is ruined, I will never find another job and that I have no hope.

Sounds stupid when I write it down but there you go, we often aren’t logical when depressed :lol:

I’m getting help thankfully, seeing a psychiatrist and psychologist through west park hospital in Darlington. They have changed my meds so that isn’t helping.

I’m off work at the minute (teacher) and have been since June. I don’t intend to go back and will be out of teaching in December. So I need to embark on a new career, however I’m not in the right place to be considering that.

But as many of you will have experienced I worry about the future and catastrophise everything to the point I can’t sleep or feel like I’m going to have a heart attack. I’m now convinced my life is ruined, I will never find another job and that I have no hope.

Sounds stupid when I write it down but there you go, we often aren’t logical when depressed :lol:
As a teacher you’ll be well qualified, well skilled and well experienced to take on work in many different industries.

You could stay in teaching but move to adult education, lecturing, private training companies would probably snap your hand off.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

College is a good thought. My Dad was finding it hard going at the end of his career. A combination of toerag pupils and too much admin rather than actual teaching which he loved. He did some night classes at college doing return to learn for adults and he absolutely loved that. The difference was he was teaching adults who really did want to learn rather than children who didn't want to be there.

Know what you mean about silly thoughts. I woke in the night and imagined every possible catastrophe with my upcoming holiday, even though I know I'll go away, have a nice time and come back again. Brains are stupid sometimes!

Last edited by a moderator:

it's all brain chemicals, and they are bastards
your life isn't ruined matey, could be the kick start you need for the next chapter

If you're seeing someone they should be helping you with skills to question your negative thoughts, looking at why you are willing to accept the bad thoughts but not the good.

Could you not consider a different age range or subject for teaching - might make a big difference?

If not, something related such as school counselling?

Seems a pity to change tracks completely if you have training and a qualification - if that's the fresh start you need though, go for it.

Could you not consider a different age range or subject for teaching - might make a big difference?

If not, something related such as school counselling?

Seems a pity to change tracks completely if you have training and a qualification - if that's the fresh start you need though, go for it.

I think I need a total fresh start to be honest mate. Need to get my head sorted before making any big decisions like.

Been looking at going back to Uni 2020 so that’s got me feeling abit more positive.

As a teacher , probably without knowing it , you’ll have an abundance of transferable skills that employers would look for.
I hope things work out for you mate.

Finally took the plunge and got prescribed Sertraline, anyone gurn loads and clench their jaw during the first week or so of taking it? Feel like I’ve been taking cowies (which ironically I think are what kicked all the problems off years ago.)

Finally took the plunge and got prescribed Sertraline, anyone gurn loads and clench their jaw during the first week or so of taking it? Feel like I’ve been taking cowies (which ironically I think are what kicked all the problems off years ago.)
Interesting you say that and i’d be keen to known why you make that link, because Class A Drugs are a massive part of societies current supposed mental health crisis imo.

That said, i’m talking more about younger people a lot of whom are smashing the drugs in recreationally, getting extended and grim come-downs and confusing that with feeling depressed and anxious and being in a dark place.

I don’t for one minute mean anyone on this thread is taking line after line after tablet of a weekend then crying about what a state they are in mentally btw. You all seem decent sound folks who legit need help and deserve it.

Last edited:
Interesting you say that and i’d be keen to known why you make that link, because Class A Drugs are a massive part of societies current supposed mental health crisis imo.

That said, i’m talking more about younger people a lot of whom are smashing the drugs in recreationally, getting extended and grim come-downs and confusing that with feeling depressed and anxious and being in a dark place.

I don’t for one minute mean anyone on this thread is taking line after line after tablet of a weekend then crying about what a state they are in mentally btw. You all seem decent sound folks who legit need help and deserve it.

I was abusing ecstasy canny badly when I was 15, and cannabis before that from as young as 13. The anxiety etc started when I was about 17 after I’d stopped hammering pills and has been chronic since. It’s a total guess but I’ve always thought it may have permanently affected my serotonin levels as I would imagine your brain is still developing a lot at that age. I’m no doctor like so I’m probably completely wrong :lol:

I was abusing ecstasy canny badly when I was 15, and cannabis before that from as young as 13. The anxiety etc started when I was about 17 after I’d stopped hammering pills and has been chronic since. It’s a total guess but I’ve always thought it may have permanently affected my serotonin levels as I would imagine your brain is still developing a lot at that age. I’m no doctor like so I’m probably completely wrong :lol:
I’d hazard a guess there’s at least an element of truth in that.

Never been into drugs mate, but Sertraline, when I was on it, was horrible. I did get there in the end, but shakes and I turned into the sweatiest mess you could imagine. f***ing drenched mate. Would not care but ah'm slim.

@Freight Train good luck me marra. Been out of teaching for 3 years now and am loving life. (Apart from a £670 bill for me car but that is another cunting matter:evil:). It was scary at first mate. Strangest part was that it felt hard to let go. Now, mate, fuck that shit brother. Found a job I love and enjoy every day. There is a job you can do and enjoy yourself. Trust uz, marra, having a beer at the end of a day's graft in a job you like is sweet as. The pay the next day is even better.

Never been into drugs mate, but Sertraline, when I was on it, was horrible. I did get there in the end, but shakes and I turned into the sweatiest mess you could imagine. f***ing drenched mate. Would not care but ah'm slim.

@Freight Train good luck me marra. Been out of teaching for 3 years now and am loving life. (Apart from a £670 bill for me car but that is another cunting matter:evil:). It was scary at first mate. Strangest part was that it felt hard to let go. Now, mate, fuck that shit brother. Found a job I love and enjoy every day. There is a job you can do and enjoy yourself. Trust uz, marra, having a beer at the end of a day's graft in a job you like is sweet as. The pay the next day is even better.

Cheers mate, your posts have given me plenty of confidence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back