Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the First Response Team waiting for my assessment. One lad is kicking off in reception. 18 years old, agitated, and he has his mam, nan, and girlfriend arguing with him. I don't feel particularly threatened even though they are a yard from me. My first impression is that mental health workers have an enormous weight of responsibility on their shoulders.

At the First Response Team waiting for my assessment. One lad is kicking off in reception. 18 years old, agitated, and he has his mam, nan, and girlfriend arguing with him. I don't feel particularly threatened even though they are a yard from me. My first impression is that mental health workers have an enormous weight of responsibility on their shoulders.
How's it gone for you marra.?

How's it gone for you marra.?

Feel a bit drained but that's natural I'm guessing. I let the worker know all about me, how my life is, how it was, and all the dark thoughts and how I perceive myself.

Essentially, I'm a deep thinker (he even mentioned philosopher) so when negative thoughts arrive, they tend to stick and have an effect on the mind, which in turn affects my everyday life, looking after myself and that.

I've been referred for therapy and staying on 200mg of Sertraline. I'm feeling a bit too tired to know if it feels like a positive just yet.

Feel a bit drained but that's natural I'm guessing. I let the worker know all about me, how my life is, how it was, and all the dark thoughts and how I perceive myself.

Essentially, I'm a deep thinker (he even mentioned philosopher) so when negative thoughts arrive, they tend to stick and have an effect on the mind, which in turn affects my everyday life, looking after myself and that.

I've been referred for therapy and staying on 200mg of Sertraline. I'm feeling a bit too tired to know if it feels like a positive just yet.
The knack for the philosopher is to be able to be philosophical about things and fall short of rumination. We need to gauge not only whether a thought is valid but also whether the thinking of it at any given time has true overarching utility for us personally.
I'll get me coat ;):lol:

I owe Talking Therapy and the NHS so much.

I'd be interested in hearing more about Talking Therapy and how it can help if you don't mind.

Trying to find help for a lad in his early 20's. All the GP did was put him on prozac but he feels spaced out all the time. He's got issues from childhood that need resolving once and for all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be interested in hearing more about Talking Therapy and how it can help if you don't mind.

Trying to find help for a lad in his early 20's. All the GP did was put him on prozac but he feels spaced out all the time. He's got issues from childhood that need resolving once and for all.
Talking Changes?
You can self-refer here: Online referral form - Talking Changes

Been a little while since I checked this thread. Been a busy time lately, as per usual, but feeling a bit drained at the moment - Its about a year since I had my "whatever its called", and funnily enough, I'm feeling similar things happening.
I know to take it easier now though, and to be honest, there's a lot less pressure in many ways.

Although twins are due in under 3 weeks...….

Last edited:
Talking Changes?
You can self-refer here: Online referral form - Talking Changes

Been a little while since I checked this thread. Been a busy time lately, as per usual, but feeling a bit drained at the moment - Its about a year since I had my "whatever its called", and funnily enough, I'm feeling similar things happening.
I know to take it easier now though, and to be honest, there's a lot less pressure in many ways.

Although twins are due in under 3 weeks...….

So much for taking it easy :lol:

Been on meds for years and years, tried most some took the edge off some didnt, had horrific side effects with others. Have come off altogether and have been not very well at all, but I'm just f***ing sick of them. Have been searching the internet as ive always felt that the depression was a symptom rather than the actual problem. I'm 51 and have been reading a lot on tinternet recently and I'm pretty sure I have ADHD and have had it since I was 9 or 10. Trying to actually get an appointment and get a proper diagnosis and treatment is proving rather difficult.

Been on meds for years and years, tried most some took the edge off some didnt, had horrific side effects with others. Have come off altogether and have been not very well at all, but I'm just f***ing sick of them. Have been searching the internet as ive always felt that the depression was a symptom rather than the actual problem. I'm 51 and have been reading a lot on tinternet recently and I'm pretty sure I have ADHD and have had it since I was 9 or 10. Trying to actually get an appointment and get a proper diagnosis and treatment is proving rather difficult.

I have an appointment next week for an Adult ADHD assessment, one of the therapists I saw did her PHD on Adult ADHD and said she believed I was a classic case (it explains a lot of my struggles).

She said that many adults with ADHD suffer depression and anxiety and that if we can treat the ADHD then the other things may dissipate.

Thank you so much for this.

Having a terrible time at the minute and this is just what I needed to read.

I can vouch for the changing jobs doing a world of difference for your depression.

I worked in Sunderland for an insurance company and the work, the environment and just everything worsened my depression to probably its worse ever (compounded with other factors). One night on my way home from work, having missed the bus I was walking towards the QA Bridge when I decided enough was enough and that I was going to jump. I think I would have gone through with it had it not been for the Samaritans sign on the bridge, so rather than jumping I called them and spoke with them for about half an hour.. They were fantastic. During that call I realised I needed to make some major changes, and so I called work the next day and said I wouldn't be back for the rest of the week and went out on the sick. During that time I interviewed for another job that I got and it changed everything for me (combined with getting rid of some of the negative things in my life).

It sounds like a little change, but being in a toxic work environment can be one of the most harmful things in your life. If you can, find something new, whether it is a new employer or new career. It might just help you see the bigger picture.

Good Luck mate...

I can vouch for the changing jobs doing a world of difference for your depression.

I worked in Sunderland for an insurance company and the work, the environment and just everything worsened my depression to probably its worse ever (compounded with other factors). One night on my way home from work, having missed the bus I was walking towards the QA Bridge when I decided enough was enough and that I was going to jump. I think I would have gone through with it had it not been for the Samaritans sign on the bridge, so rather than jumping I called them and spoke with them for about half an hour.. They were fantastic. During that call I realised I needed to make some major changes, and so I called work the next day and said I wouldn't be back for the rest of the week and went out on the sick. During that time I interviewed for another job that I got and it changed everything for me (combined with getting rid of some of the negative things in my life).

It sounds like a little change, but being in a toxic work environment can be one of the most harmful things in your life. If you can, find something new, whether it is a new employer or new career. It might just help you see the bigger picture.

Good Luck mate...

Thanks mate. I am doing a lot of reading at the minute about depression etc. and it seems like little changes over time add up massively. I know that I won't be going back to full time teaching, which is a big weight off my chest. I now need to take the time to get better.

Anxiety is brutal at the minute, don't think the lack of sleep is helping like. Despite beta blockers, 60mg prozac and sleeping tablets I still can't get a proper kip :lol:

I have an appointment next week for an Adult ADHD assessment, one of the therapists I saw did her PHD on Adult ADHD and said she believed I was a classic case (it explains a lot of my struggles).

She said that many adults with ADHD suffer depression and anxiety and that if we can treat the ADHD then the other things may dissipate.
Is this in Sunderland?

That sounds horrendous like.

From my experience mental health services are poor. I'm going private for counselling as waiting lists are massive.
Sadly this is true and the IAPT (improving access to psychological therapy) name is proving to be a bit of a joke. The demand is just too high for the money commissioners will give, people quote cheap or they don't get the contract, then they fail on the outcomes and waiting lists grow, confounding the aim.

I was on them months marra and still getting them, and well Iv had ulcers in stomach gastritis, inflammation in intestines all sorts chest stomach back pain and sickness at least 3-4probems 95percent of the time for 3 years, plus I'm very negative lack confidence etc

Sorry mate, just seen this.

Did you have your physical issues as a result of the Sertraline or were they around before?

I think a lot of my physical ailments are related to anxiety - as if my body is affected as well and my mind. I have the IBS as I mentioned but also acid reflux, headaches and general aches and pains.

Trying to deal with the issues my IBS causes was a big factor in my mental health.

Sorry mate, just seen this.

Did you have your physical issues as a result of the Sertraline or were they around before?

I think a lot of my physical ailments are related to anxiety - as if my body is affected as well and my mind. I have the IBS as I mentioned but also acid reflux, headaches and general aches and pains.

Trying to deal with the issues my IBS causes was a big factor in my mental health.
I was getting sickness chest stomach and back problems anyway but when I started setraline headaches and palpitations started I'm actually on mitzrapine now but they make me starving most of the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back