Depression

Weaned myself off sertraline over four months, stopping in January after four years on. Had a very bad 10 days over Christmas which I think was part withdrawal and part my personal situation but felt in control since then.

Having a real dip this week though that has me worried. I can feel the blackdog headaches and am worried it’s creeping back....

Anything in particular happened or just kind of creeping up on you?

In the middle of a separation with custody issues but that’s been going on for two years. It has been a bit unpleasant lately which hasn’t helped but it does seem more creeping up. Had a bad weekend after the ex found a reason for me not getting the kids and then each of the last two days have felt a little less in control.

In the middle of a separation with custody issues but that’s been going on for two years. It has been a bit unpleasant lately which hasn’t helped but it does seem more creeping up. Had a bad weekend after the ex found a reason for me not getting the kids and then each of the last two days have felt a little less in control.

Sorry to hear that. It's understandable if things are not great and you're not seeing the bairns.

When are you next getting them? Maybe plan a nice day out doing something they really enjoy? That'll give you a lift seeing them enjoying themselves. Even something simple just like a kickaround in the park and an ice cream might help. Take care xx

I was absolutely horrendous for about 6 weeks before this one. I didn't wanna go back on anything as it didn't help last time. Wembley weekend was a big struggle, as I knew how much I;d drink too, got through it though.

I started eating better, reading more and going for long walks. Not amazing and pretty anti social but felt bit better about things this week, so trying to make some plans now while I have the spirit to do so.

I know you can;t run away from problems but I do feel better with few holidays and few travel experiences. Gets me going.

The appraisal went well enough. They said they didn't even need to take my mental health conditions into account to confirm my work was well up to snuff.

They've referred me to an occupational health appointment and some sort of stress appraisal thing to gauge how work affects my day-to-day living and vice versa.

I find going to football and also going to see a decent film as therapeutic, although I tend to go to the cinema on a weekday afternoon so that I can be on my own, which maybe doesn't help.

I find I can lose myself in the game or in the film. Because the cinema is so dark, too, I can almost feel myself being in the film itself.

Sorry if something similar might have been posted earlier on in the thread, but has anyone got any recommendations for any books/audiobooks they've found helpful?

I've never really looked into self-help books before, but I've recently listened through 'The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck' which I found quite interesting. Hoping someone will have read through or listened to something worth looking into.

Sorry if something similar might have been posted earlier on in the thread, but has anyone got any recommendations for any books/audiobooks they've found helpful?

I've never really looked into self-help books before, but I've recently listened through 'The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck' which I found quite interesting. Hoping someone will have read through or listened to something worth looking into.

I think it was @janiep who recommended this book. It's really good:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004TTHD9O

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been taking Sertraline since last May [for anxiety] and they seem to have done the trick, only on 50mg. I was offered CBT through work, but ended up not going ahead with it, dunno why. What's it like, what do you do and how does it work? Loads of questions, have read online about it but much better coming from someone who's experienced it, if that makes sense...

To start with I got assigned a therapist who I had a phone call or two with to evaluate exactly what it is i'm struggling with.

Then they offered me two options;

1, attending meetings with a group locally

2, An online course made up of several modules

I opted for the online course for obvious reasons. You get signed up on a site called Silvercloud where you have to log in and complete a module or two every couple of weeks. You can work through it at your own pace.

Certain modules resonate more than others but it is all generally helpful advice. When I feel anxious and start getting panic/racing thoughts I can tap into certain things that help me cope. A few examples of things in the CBT that have helped;

Spotting thoughts/hot thoughts - When worrying about things, there are usually many worrying thoughts that are making you feel anxious. This teaches you that there is often an emotion attached to certain thoughts.

Accepting anxious thoughts - accepting that they are part of life and that it is ok (and sometimes useful) to feel anxious. Welcoming these thoughts can diminish their effect.

A mantra - When it gets really bad, I remind myself "I will not feel like this forever" "These feelings will pass" "I have been through worse before and survived" etc...

It has generally helped me to process anxious thoughts, evaluate them, come up with a solution, let hypothetical worries go etc...

I had a catch up phone call with a therapist every couple of weeks.

You get as much out of CBT as you are willing to put in.

Last edited:
Glad you found it useful.

@Fawkes what kind of book are you looking for? Or rather what is it you're wanting to try to tackle?

This is a good place to start: Books on Prescription | Books | Reading Well All these books are approved by the NHS, and there is, IIRC, a copy of each one in every public library in the UK.
Constant overthinking mainly, it's what feels like the main cause of my problems at the moment. It's getting to the point where I'm starting to dread going to bed on a night, that tends to be where my mind goes into overdrive.

The book on Mindfulness looks like it might be a good starting point.

Constant overthinking mainly, it's what feels like the main cause of my problems at the moment. It's getting to the point where I'm starting to dread going to bed on a night, that tends to be where my mind goes into overdrive.

Mindfulness and CBT can both help with that - a lot. There are good books on both on that list including the one I mentioned before.

Also worth checking with your GP, and/or self-referring to the local NHS mental health care provider. Don't be put off by scare stories about waiting lists: I self-referred on the Saturday, had a phone assessment on the Tuesday, and started CBT workshops the following Friday (that was in south east London).

To start with I got assigned a therapist who I had a phone call or two with to evaluate exactly what it is i'm struggling with.

Then they offered me two options;

1, attending meetings with a group locally

2, An online course made up of several modules

I opted for the online course for obvious reasons. You get signed up on a site called Silvercloud where you have to log in and complete a module or two every couple of weeks. You can work through it at your own pace.

Certain modules resonate more than others but it is all generally helpful advice. When I feel anxious and start getting panic/racing thoughts I can tap into certain things that help me cope. A few examples of things in the CBT that have helped;

Spotting thoughts/hot thoughts - When worrying about things, there are usually many worrying thoughts that are making you feel anxious. This teaches you that there is often an emotion attached to certain thoughts.

Accepting anxious thoughts - accepting that they are part of life and that it is ok (and sometimes useful) to feel anxious. Welcoming these thoughts can diminish their effect.

A mantra - When it gets really bad, I remind myself "I will not feel like this forever" "These feelings will pass" "I have been through worse before and survived" etc...

It has generally helped me to process anxious thoughts, evaluate them, come up with a solution, let hypothetical worries go etc...

I had a catch up phone call with a therapist every couple of weeks.

You get as much out of CBT as you are willing to put in.
Thanks for that. Need to look into it as I can feel like I’m slipping from time to time. I’ve got a book with modules from when I was going to do it the last time. Ironically I think it was anxiety that put me off it in the first place ffs

I use the Calm app in bed. It helps my mind switch off as I'm the same with thoughts going round and over thinking things.

Have a look at it here Calm - Meditation Techniques for Sleep and Stress Reduction

If you think it will be of use, let me know and I can PM you a link to get a 30 day free trial. If you like it, it's about £32 a year to keep it.

I'm just drifting along tbh. I had a colonoscopy on Monday and there was a very small 1mm polyp found (which has been sent away to be checked), fingers crossed it comes back clear of cancer. I've lived with depression for most of my life, I don't remember a time I was free of it so just look to manage it as best as I can.
Big ((((hugs)))) to anyone going through tough times, please keep on keeping on folks xx

Fingers crossed for you Piano! Depression Is a ****. I suffered first about 7 year ago and have recently suffered again!

Don’t know what has caused it but on sertraline and had suicidal thoughts resulting in me getting pissed and watching suicide videos with a knife to my throat. Luckily I fell asleep. I’m 36 year old I just want to live live normal. I don’t ask for much. Just to wake up in morning with a clear head instead of impending doom. Hope your well. Xx

Fingers crossed for you Piano! Depression Is a ****. I suffered first about 7 year ago and have recently suffered again!

Don’t know what has caused it but on sertraline and had suicidal thoughts resulting in me getting pissed and watching suicide videos with a knife to my throat. Luckily I fell asleep. I’m 36 year old I just want to live live normal. I don’t ask for much. Just to wake up in morning with a clear head instead of impending doom. Hope your well. Xx
I just had to embrace the fucker and decide that it wasn't going to constantly fuck me over, I'll never be free of it but I'm going to keep showing it who's boss ;).
Yes I have bad days, I get stressed, I worry, I think too much - but I have a bairn and he needs his mam, I need to keep breathing for him and make the most of what I've got.
I once sat down in front of my dad and told him I wanted to die, he said "you don't come back for an encore" and he was right (I have far more to lose these days than I did back then anarl).

Every day is a new day, just keep hold and stay clear of the suicide videos please xx I've recently been taking hemp seed oil and tbh they've made a difference (the first ones certainly did anyhoo, I'm going to get more of those ones as they were doing the trick but were a bit pricier).

Last edited:
I'm just drifting along tbh. I had a colonoscopy on Monday and there was a very small 1mm polyp found (which has been sent away to be checked), fingers crossed it comes back clear of cancer. I've lived with depression for most of my life, I don't remember a time I was free of it so just look to manage it as best as I can.
Big ((((hugs)))) to anyone going through tough times, please keep on keeping on folks xx

Fingers crossed that it's good news. Been there and I know what it's like stressing until you get the letter though. Big hugs xx

Good luck, I'm sure it turn out all clear.

Back