Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can put dogs on cod liver oil. Bob is on a capsule once a day as he was getting stiffness in his hips. He just eats them or you can buy the liquid to add to their food. The vet suggested trying first that as it's much cheaper than proper dog medicine. He's 14 in a couple of weeks and still runs around a lot so we've avoided the expensive meds so far. Check with the vet first though.

Just go through the motions with the job search folks. It's shocking what they do to people to force them into work when really they're not well enough to be looking for work.
I do look just making me go when I'm in pain is ridiculous and health's priority I think they have brushed over the fact I'm on anti depressants as well its not obvious when you interact with myself, also I am applying for stuff it's just feeling they put pressure on they tag the not the job centre line but if you don't apply for stuff you get the third degree.

I guess you've already had different prescription drugs for the pain? I had a prescription that helped, but not fully, so I persisted until I got a different one & now I feel better. So if you haven't really dug in with your doctor for the pain then do that - they should also refer you to the muscular and skeletal department which are able to do scans & sufficiently into the process get you surgery. There's no reason why physical pain should be with you for life, but you have to chase the NHS to sort it for you.

One exercise that might be available which places limited stress on your back would be at the gym, there are bikes which are stationary and you could peddle. There are even bikes with back support just like a chair, and then you can stretch your legs out horizontal and peddle. Would that be suitable?
God fobbed of with codeine they were going to give me other stuff but couldn't because of my anti sickness stuff. Got physio exercises which didn't work, I'm getting some sort of scans, and told to go for x-rays as well as gastrophy, pain in back is awful gets worse when I eat.

Last edited:

I do look just making me go when I'm in pain is ridiculous and health's priority I think they have brushed over the fact I'm on anti depressants as well its not obvious when you interact with myself, also I am applying for stuff it's just feeling they put pressure on they tag the not the job centre line but if you don't apply for stuff you get the third degree.

God fobbed of with codeine they were going to give me other stuff but couldn't because of my anti sickness stuff. Got physio exercises which didn't work, I'm getting some sort of scans, and told to go for x-rays as well as gastrophy, pain in back is awful gets worse when I eat.
Reducing stress, drinking lots of water and doing regular exercise (even when it hurts a little) are the only things which have ever worked for my back, which has been a bother for me since I was about 18 (I'm 27 now). Yoga, Pilates and swimming are the best: work at your own pace, when you feel up to it, but do push yourself to do something at least. I went to a back clinic for a week a few years back and learned that exercise is almost never a bad thing for back pain: people worry about putting their back out or making it worse but unless you're doing a lot of jerky movements (squash, tennis) or very high-impact (metafit, running on concrete), you will almost certainly improve over time through moving more. I know it's easier said than done!!

The stress thing is a big factor too: when I'm stressed out, angry with life, whatever, I notice a dramatic decline in back pain.

As for painkillers, I've tried quite a lot (paracetamol, codeine, aspirin, ibuprofen, gabapentin, amitriptyline...) and personally I don't find enough improvement from any of them so I steer clear unless I have a flare-up. I used to smoke weed to relieve the pain but I'm obviously not condoning illegal activity; I happen to be in a country where it's legal.

All in all, physical pain is a bugger but looking after yourself mentally will have a huge impact. I'm sure you know it already, but I thought I'd share my experience.

Reducing stress, drinking lots of water and doing regular exercise (even when it hurts a little) are the only things which have ever worked for my back, which has been a bother for me since I was about 18 (I'm 27 now). Yoga, Pilates and swimming are the best: work at your own pace, when you feel up to it, but do push yourself to do something at least. I went to a back clinic for a week a few years back and learned that exercise is almost never a bad thing for back pain: people worry about putting their back out or making it worse but unless you're doing a lot of jerky movements (squash, tennis) or very high-impact (metafit, running on concrete), you will almost certainly improve over time through moving more. I know it's easier said than done!!

The stress thing is a big factor too: when I'm stressed out, angry with life, whatever, I notice a dramatic decline in back pain.

As for painkillers, I've tried quite a lot (paracetamol, codeine, aspirin, ibuprofen, gabapentin, amitriptyline...) and personally I don't find enough improvement from any of them so I steer clear unless I have a flare-up. I used to smoke weed to relieve the pain but I'm obviously not condoning illegal activity; I happen to be in a country where it's legal.

All in all, physical pain is a bugger but looking after yourself mentally will have a huge impact. I'm sure you know it already, but I thought I'd share my experience.
Aye your correct I do over think things tbh it's just I know if I say see 2jobs to apply for in hour it will be here is more to do or why not this basically I just always feel nothing is good enough and not everything is as black and white as they make it when you struggle mentally and physically and feel you would be useless at stuff.

Aye your correct I do over think things tbh it's just I know if I say see 2jobs to apply for in hour it will be here is more to do or why not this basically I just always feel nothing is good enough and not everything is as black and white as they make it when you struggle mentally and physically and feel you would be useless at stuff.
I hear you, mate. We can attach so much self-worth to our jobs. What sort of work are you looking for, or what have you done in the past?

If it gives you hope, a mate of mine spent the best part of 30 years working in a factory, always wanting to do sports journalism. Started off doing local non-league games for free. He's now doing Premier League, Champions League, and international games, had 3 books published, and had little bit parts in a couple of films.

It can be done.

If it gives you hope, a mate of mine spent the best part of 30 years working in a factory, always wanting to do sports journalism. Started off doing local non-league games for free. He's now doing Premier League, Champions League, and international games, had 3 books published, and had little bit parts in a couple of films.

It can be done.
I just don’t know how to go about it

Just read an article that may be of interest to any suffering from depression which links it to diet.

How the bacteria inside you could affect your mental health

It wouldn't be surprising, especially as they're now realising the enormous impact that gut health has on almost every aspect of your general health.

There was a study recently published from a university in Belgium which linked lower than average levels of coprococcus and dialister to depression, but obviously correlation does not necessarily imply causation.

A total stab in the dark, but is your stomach pain / nausea accompanied by other GERD symptoms?

I only ask because I had a very similar issue until recently, namely reflux, regurgitation and almost constant nausea.

Last edited:
It wouldn't be surprising, especially as they're now realising the enormous impact that gut health has on almost every aspect of your general health.

There was a study recently published from a university in Belgium which linked lower than average levels of coprococcus and dialister to depression, but obviously correlation does not necessarily imply causation.

A total stab in the dark, but is your stomach pain / nausea accompanied by other GERD symptoms?

I only ask because I had a very similar issue until recently, namely reflux, regurgitation and almost constant nausea.
Kind of was before but I'm on anti sickness tablets mind I have to stop them tomorrow because of gastrophy coming up

Kind of was before but I'm on anti sickness tablets mind I have to stop them tomorrow because of gastrophy coming up

Hmm, have you told your doctor you're having GERD-like symptoms?

Obviously I have no way of telling if it is that but I had regurgitation, nausea and reflux that wasn't stopped by PPI drugs, although metoclopramide helped a little bit.

After much back and forth and convincing my GP to send me to see a gastroenterologist I found out I had a hiatus hernia as well as non-acid reflux, which explained the PPIs not working. I had a fundoplication and hernia repair early January and all the symptoms have gone. I was absolutely miserable because of the symptoms, especially being under 30, but getting it fixed has made a big change mentally as well as physically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back