Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

How's everyone feeling?

Good actually.

Spoke to my therapist about finishing up therapy soon as I've been going for around 9 months now and I feel I've achieved what I set out to achieve and then some, as well as spending a small fortune on it to boot, so we're going to taper that off in the coming weeks.

Mood has been consistently good, with a few wobbles, and the anxiety appears to be under control now.

For anyone else who feels that things will never change, I was in the same boat about 9 months ago.

How's everyone feeling?
Pissed of ill and just genuinely shite

Good actually.

Spoke to my therapist about finishing up therapy soon as I've been going for around 9 months now and I feel I've achieved what I set out to achieve and then some, as well as spending a small fortune on it to boot, so we're going to taper that off in the coming weeks.

Mood has been consistently good, with a few wobbles, and the anxiety appears to be under control now.

For anyone else who feels that things will never change, I was in the same boat about 9 months ago.
Mine won't change

Last edited:
I'm just struggling tbh Iv always thought that I'm useless and stuff tbh

I'm sorry to hear that. I highly doubt you're "useless", unfortunately depression often makes you feel that way or that you've failed somehow even though you almost certainly haven't.

Have you ever spoken to someone about this in a professional capacity? It may not work for you but a combination of medication and therapy has helped me a lot.

I'm sorry to hear that. I highly doubt you're "useless", unfortunately depression often makes you feel that way or that you've failed somehow even though you almost certainly haven't.

Have you ever spoken to someone about this in a professional capacity? It may not work for you but a combination of medication and therapy has helped me a lot.
Had a councilor didn't work had medication still feel shit, also I'm in pain walking to my work programme and there making me go in to do job search which I can do at home.

Just thought I’d update everyone. As mentioned before, I’ve been suffering from PMDD for several years. It started off quite mild but got worse as time passed. It’s a female hormone disorder that causes severe PMS. There are other effects like heavy bleeding, sore boobs, stomach cramps etc., but I’ll spare you the details about that! My crohns would kick off in the second half of my cycle too and I was getting severe pain down the left side of my abdomen.

The depression was the hardest to deal with. In my case, it was like a switch was being flicked just after I ovulated mid-cycle, and I’d plunge into a really low mood, sometimes with suicidal thoughts for about two weeks until I came on. I just hated myself and getting through each day was a struggle. I had here though as my safe space where I could pretend everything was fine and that helped a lot.

The first line of treatment is hormone based contraceptives. They can level the hormones out for some women. It’s always “try this and give it a few months and see how it goes.” I tried different combined pills, the mini pill, the depo injection and the Mirena coil but all made the symptoms worse. I was really frustrated that nothing was working. They decided I was sensitive to the progesterone, so contraceptives were no good for me.

The second line of treatment is SSRI’s. Some women take them continually. Some take them for two weeks a month to coincide with the PMDD symptoms. I tried three but reacted badly to all of them! Mirtazapine made me way too sleepy. I felt like a zombie and I didn’t feel safe driving. Sertraline gave me chronic migraine like headaches and I kept having to lay down until they passed. Fluoxetine gave me a rare skin rash so I had to stop that.

The third line of treatment is GNRH analogue injections. That’s a pellet injected into your belly (ouch!) every four weeks. They work by chemically shutting down the ovaries so no hormones are produced and your body goes into a drugged menopause. These were brilliant! All the symptoms vanished and I felt great! My crohns went into remission as well. The only downside is they seriously deplete your bone density, so you can only have them for six months at a time otherwise you are at much higher risk of osteoporosis and broken bones.

My six months finished in the summer. As the injections wore off, my ovaries fired back up again big style and I was plunged into a massive low. I really couldn’t cope with anything. I was getting a lot of hassle on here and my safe space was gone. I still wanted to join in the footy chat as it was just before the World Cup, so I changed my name on here and used a blokes name as a woman would have been easily spotted. My safe space was back again. I’m genuinely sorry to all who I worried during this time, but I had to do what was best for myself.

After discussions with gynae I was left with the options of GNRH injections on a six months on and six months off basis or surgery to remove my ovaries. I would have had to have the injections for another approx 12 years until I reached natural menopause. This would mean the six months of feeling well and six months of being poorly, plus the hassle of going to the hospital every four weeks for the injections.

I decided surgery was the easiest option in the long term, so I had my ovaries removed in December. I’m doing really well now. All the symptoms, including the depression have gone and my crohns is barely noticeable. Once they got inside me, they discovered I also had endometriosis which would have been causing the pain so that has all been cut out as well.

Hopefully I’ll stay well now and I’m just enjoying being able to live a decent life again :cool:

Jeez. That's a whole lot to deal with. Good luck on the road to full recovery.

Hope your OK one of the best posters on here

aww thank you :)

How you doing?

I've been boxing tonight and the PT has just bought a puppy so I've been having puppy cuddles. Now I was just thinking if I held a class where you could punch the shit out of stuff then cuddle a puppy, that would probably some decent positive therapy :lol:

How you doing?

I've been boxing tonight and the PT has just bought a puppy so I've been having puppy cuddles. Now I was just thinking if I held a class where you could punch the shit out of stuff then cuddle a puppy, that would probably some decent positive therapy :lol:
I'm to lazy for fitness my health doesn't help, always fancied boxing just for fitness I'm to soft to handle being punched:lol:. Not bad just walked the dog today but he's hobbling badly so having to carry him upstairs, going for Indian tomorrow parents back from holiday Saturday. Mind I'm getting really anxious about them making me do jobsearch Friday at the place I have to go to.

I'm to lazy for fitness my health doesn't help, always fancied boxing just for fitness I'm to soft to handle being punched:lol:. Not bad just walked the dog today but he's hobbling badly so having to carry him upstairs, going for Indian tomorrow parents back from holiday Saturday. Mind I'm getting really anxious about them making me do jobsearch Friday at the place I have to go to.

It's a good laugh mind, even when it's my turn for the pads. If you ever feel up for it, give it a go.

Sounds like you're having a canny time at the moment so focus on the good things like the dog walk and Indian and try not to worry about the job search. Hope the dog is ok.

It's a good laugh mind, even when it's my turn for the pads. If you ever feel up for it, give it a go.

Sounds like you're having a canny time at the moment so focus on the good things like the dog walk and Indian and try not to worry about the job search. Hope the dog is ok.
He's actually on anti sickness stuff like me and they think he has authritus Yeh I don't mind walking him but it's a bit of a chore when he doesn't chase the ball haha. I just wish when they are meant to be a work health programme they would realise it's my priority, they actually said my issues are because I'm unfit and I need to look after myself and not rely on doctors when for once I was trying to be positive saying all the tests I have coming up.

How you doing?

That does sound like a great treatment! Anger release then cuteness overload.

I had a shit day today...not depression, far from it, but a really really bad mood. After work I have been to the gym and done some weights, running & boxing. I feel so much better. I'm posting this as a lurker because at the moment I am not suffering from the darker stuff. But it's just here to possibly help someone, exercise really does wonders & it did for me when I was very low. Give it a try if your up to it.

I had a shit day today...not depression, far from it, but a really really bad mood. After work I have been to the gym and done some weights, running & boxing. I feel so much better. I'm posting this as a lurker because at the moment I am not suffering from the darker stuff. But it's just here to possibly help someone, exercise really does wonders & it did for me when I was very low. Give it a try if your up to it.
The thing I don't get is yes I know its meant to help but I'm in pain with my back Iv tried for a few weeks walking more I can't walk any distance at all and if I walk for longer periods I really struggle.

He's actually on anti sickness stuff like me and they think he has authritus Yeh I don't mind walking him but it's a bit of a chore when he doesn't chase the ball haha. I just wish when they are meant to be a work health programme they would realise it's my priority, they actually said my issues are because I'm unfit and I need to look after myself and not rely on doctors when for once I was trying to be positive saying all the tests I have coming up.

You can put dogs on cod liver oil. Bob is on a capsule once a day as he was getting stiffness in his hips. He just eats them or you can buy the liquid to add to their food. The vet suggested trying first that as it's much cheaper than proper dog medicine. He's 14 in a couple of weeks and still runs around a lot so we've avoided the expensive meds so far. Check with the vet first though.

Just go through the motions with the job search folks. It's shocking what they do to people to force them into work when really they're not well enough to be looking for work.

The thing I don't get is yes I know its meant to help but I'm in pain with my back Iv tried for a few weeks walking more I can't walk any distance at all and if I walk for longer periods I really struggle.
I guess you've already had different prescription drugs for the pain? I had a prescription that helped, but not fully, so I persisted until I got a different one & now I feel better. So if you haven't really dug in with your doctor for the pain then do that - they should also refer you to the muscular and skeletal department which are able to do scans & sufficiently into the process get you surgery. There's no reason why physical pain should be with you for life, but you have to chase the NHS to sort it for you.

One exercise that might be available which places limited stress on your back would be at the gym, there are bikes which are stationary and you could peddle. There are even bikes with back support just like a chair, and then you can stretch your legs out horizontal and peddle. Would that be suitable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back