Depression

I feel really bloody weird. My ma has been in hospital on and off since August, works been bloody awful and I've got no help and more crap dumped on me for the last few months.

For weeks ive put off going to the docs but I don't know how much bloody longer I can take this one without taking a bloody swing at some one.

Sorry just venting.

Jonny 5..it's good to vent but I think you said it yourself in your post..."I've put off going to the docs". Get yourself there mate and then, just as important, be totally honest with him/her about how you feeling.

thank you, i know a lot of people on here in real life, it caused quite a stir, i will not do it again, best just suffer in silence.
Don't do that mate. It speaks volumes that you have so many people looking out for you. You're clearly a good bloke. You posted something. Réaction happens. If you're in a dark spot again you have so many people that can help. Don't suffer in silence. Please mate.

I am struggling today. Got to do some paper work on selling a flat through a divorce , every time I think of anything to do with it it makes me ill. I am on tablets from the doc 4 weeks now. Back to work tomorrow doesn't help. Just hate the anxious feeling. It serves no purpose yet it rules me.

I am struggling today. Got to do some paper work on selling a flat through a divorce , every time I think of anything to do with it it makes me ill. I am on tablets from the doc 4 weeks now. Back to work tomorrow doesn't help. Just hate the anxious feeling. It serves no purpose yet it rules me.
Make an appointment with citizens advice or your solicitor and get help with them. It doesn’t seem as though you have a problem filling them out but the appointment and the person will help force it over the line.

Try and remember folks there's nothing really "wrong" , it's just the mind doing it's shit as it's supposed to but we're making the mistake of believing our thoughts.
It's just thinking , outside all that life goes on, try and "do" a little life today even if you have to take the thoughts with you..they're just thoughts.
Good luck all.

Try and remember folks there's nothing really "wrong" , it's just the mind doing it's shit as it's supposed to but we're making the mistake of believing our thoughts.
It's just thinking , outside all that life goes on, try and "do" a little life today even if you have to take the thoughts with you..they're just thoughts.
Good luck all.
Good video. Is there one where it tells you how to deal with the caveman thoughts

Persevere with the tablets and see if you can get someone you trust to help you with the paperwork, maybe a friend or family member, or if not get in touch with citizens advice. A divorce/selling a flat are two of the most massively stressful things that you can do and, if you are suffering from anxiety and/or depression, this makes it even harder but.......it is completely normal that you are struggling with this/probably putting it off, so don't beat yourself up over it. When you get through your day at work tomorrow, recognise that getting through your 'normal routine' is in itself a success when you are not feeling good and take each day one day at a time.

Feeling low and stressed. Back to work tomorrow after 3 weeks off, it's Groundhog day every day from now on (same routine, same everything over and over). All I'm truly looking forward to is getting back into my charity shops to see what tat I can buy for my house, other than that - bleurgh.

Three weeks is a long time to have off and then to go back. If you don't love your job it's understandable you feel like this. I always find it helps if I have something to look foward to. For me that's a holiday, but I appreciate this isn't always possible for everyone. I have been in a position where I have felt as if I was just existing...getting through each day and going through the motions. It took some time but it did get better and I began to enjoy things again. If you are able, give yourself something to look forward to or make yourself go for a walk or do other exercise even if it's only a couple of nights a week. There's a good chance the exercise and fresh air will help you feel a little less stressed (hopefully).

Good video. Is there one where it tells you how to deal with the caveman thoughts
That would be a long video. Basically 3 things you can do once you recognise thought as a process rather than representing "you" in terms of origin or final conclusion
1.challange thoughts that are wrong: many will be easily disproved by evidence for the thought v evidence against the thought. Must use evidence not opinion. Problem is if you work too hard at this it directs you to encountering negative subject matter and can turn easily to rumination.
2 distract from the thought: simply occupy yourself with things that leave little space for it.. Make sure the activity contains aspects of pleasure, achievement or closeness to others. Doesn't make problems go away but can shift mood so you start to problem solve better.. Difficulty is if this turns to actual thought avoidance (being so distressed by thought you try to block it mentally ). That's a bit like holding a ball underwater in the pool. Sooner or later your arms get tired you let go and it leaps out of the water in front of your face.
3:accept the thought may actually be true (not all thoughts are wrong, sometimes we actually did act like a prat ) but recognise that's not a permenant part of "you" , it was something that you experienced, happened to you or you felt. Accept that as learning and then integrate it into where you genuinely want to go now. That may not take the thought away but at least you have "dealt with it ".
It's more about "thought management " rather than "dealing with " thoughts.
Dealing with suggests a negative relationship striving to end a process that is weird and natural and ultimately continuous.
Hope that helps if I see a good video I will let you know.

Feeling low and stressed. Back to work tomorrow after 3 weeks off, it's Groundhog day every day from now on (same routine, same everything over and over). All I'm truly looking forward to is getting back into my charity shops to see what tat I can buy for my house, other than that - bleurgh.

Tell me about it, I'm the same plus I've had a holiday in that time to. The feeling of going back to being a slave to the big wigs is disgusting. The sun has helped though admittedly. You taste just enough to make you go back and work for another 48 weeks of the year :lol:.

Tell me about it, I'm the same plus I've had a holiday in that time to. The feeling of going back to being a slave to the big wigs is disgusting. The sun has helped though admittedly. You taste just enough to make you go back and work for another 48 weeks of the year :lol:.
The last holiday I had was nearly 10 years ago, I don't even have one of those to look forward to tbh. I don't hate my job, I don't mind it or my colleagues - it's just the "same old shit, every day" that gets me down I guess, but I don't know how to "change it up".

Three weeks is a long time to have off and then to go back. If you don't love your job it's understandable you feel like this. I always find it helps if I have something to look foward to. For me that's a holiday, but I appreciate this isn't always possible for everyone. I have been in a position where I have felt as if I was just existing...getting through each day and going through the motions. It took some time but it did get better and I began to enjoy things again. If you are able, give yourself something to look forward to or make yourself go for a walk or do other exercise even if it's only a couple of nights a week. There's a good chance the exercise and fresh air will help you feel a little less stressed (hopefully).
Exercise is something I really should be doing, I just about stay on top of the housework and our routines for work and school,

Last edited:
The last holiday I had was nearly 10 years ago, I don't even have one of those to look forward to tbh. I don't hate my job, I don't mind it or my colleagues - it's just the "same old shit, every day" that gets me down I guess, but I don't know how to "change it up".

Exercise is something I really should be doing, I just about stay on top of the housework and our routines for work and school,

This is totally my own opinion, holidays are great don't get me wrong but they are very temporary things. I look more forward to the weather changing over here, the sun coming back out, being able to go to the match or nip to the pub without a coat. Sitting in a beer garden after work and enjoying a pint. Watching live cricket even though I think cricket is shit. The little things that you can't do in the winter here. The whole seasonal depression disorder shit what's gets hoyed about in the papers from time to time is 100% a real thing. This time of the year is hardest for a lot of folk, dark mornings and nights, the playing catch up with money after christmas. My focus is always on the end of spring time!

Here you go bud, might be useful.
It's a bit californian but it's quite good clinically.
I personally don't agree with the idea of thought "replacement" mentioned late on because the thought might continue, I prefer maybe "finding a thought alternative ".
Then if the AT does arise again we can quickly say to it in good old SMB style "sauce ? " ;)

I feel really bloody weird. My ma has been in hospital on and off since August, works been bloody awful and I've got no help and more crap dumped on me for the last few months.

For weeks ive put off going to the docs but I don't know how much bloody longer I can take this one without taking a bloody swing at some one.

Sorry just venting.

Go to the doctors or speak to someone.

A similar thing happened to me this time last year. My wife was struggling with depression, my work was hectic and projects kept coming quick and fast.

In the end my mind was all over the place, I couldn't multi task, think straight and come out of meetings not having a clue what it was about.

Confidence was at an all time low, I became paranoid and would snap at colleagues all the time. My speech startered stuttering too.

I eventually had to come clean with my manager about what was happening and luckily work were very understanding to a point they reduced my workload etc. Unfortunately that didn't work either and I eventually broke down and ended up on the sick for 3 months.

I am OK now but still on tablets and will be for the foreseeable future.

Be honest if you go, even write things down to give to the doctor if you feel you can't open up.

Here you go bud, might be useful.
It's a bit californian but it's quite good clinically.
I personally don't agree with the idea of thought "replacement" mentioned late on because the thought might continue, I prefer maybe "finding a thought alternative ".
Then if the AT does arise again we can quickly say to it in good old SMB style "sauce ? " ;)
Thanks that's a good video and advice. I am also starting a talking changes course soon. Once I get through this I fully intend to give help back.

Thanks that's a good video and advice. I am also starting a talking changes course soon. Once I get through this I fully intend to give help back.
Ah good. The stuff I have put up is all stuff they may refer to. Do the work with them, more you put in the better the result .

Back