Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their very nature is that they are totally random unfortunately. It's about learning to see them as just thoughts rather than a true reflection of yourself.

Can you clearly identify when it is happening though? (Sorry if I'm being ignorant here btw)

Just thinking you could use something along the lines of a trigger to help regulate the mood you're in as soon as you feel it starting to happen. Have a quick read of this, I know it relates to sport but it can be used in any aspect of life when stress hits for whatever reason.

http://thetalentcode.com/2014/09/25/a-mental-trick-from-the-worlds-best-team/

The key would be finding something that works for you specifically as a trigger.

There's also a guy who works in England called Vinny Shoreman you might find interesting, it's very good the way he breaks this down.

Last edited:

Can you clearly identify when it is happening though? (Sorry if I'm being ignorant here btw)

Just thinking you could use something along the lines of a trigger to help regulate the mood you're in as soon as you feel it starting to happen. Have a quick read of this, I know it relates to sport but it can be used in any aspect of life when stress hits for whatever reason.

http://thetalentcode.com/2014/09/25/a-mental-trick-from-the-worlds-best-team/

The key would be finding something that works for you specifically as a trigger.

There's also a guy who works in England called Vinny Shoreman you might find interesting, it's very good the way he breaks this down.

Thanks mate, appreciate it.

I'll have a look.

How are you doing?

Thanks for asking - much appreciated. A little bit better now - today has really not been a good day, it has all felt like a losing battle, from when I woke up at 4am and couldn't get back to sleep. But I forced myself to do some exercise (just started the Couch to 5k), Ive just been out coaching the under 12 team I run, which went well, and Ive done something brave / daft in signing up for the Great North Run to try and give me a medium term goal, running for the Alzheimers Society, to try and make me feel like I'm doing something for my mother.

Thanks for asking - even typing that makes me feel like the day has been better than I thought - it all just feels like a losing, never ending battle on days like today.

Thanks for asking - much appreciated. A little bit better now - today has really not been a good day, it has all felt like a losing battle, from when I woke up at 4am and couldn't get back to sleep. But I forced myself to do some exercise (just started the Couch to 5k), Ive just been out coaching the under 12 team I run, which went well, and Ive done something brave / daft in signing up for the Great North Run to try and give me a medium term goal, running for the Alzheimers Society, to try and make me feel like I'm doing something for my mother.

Thanks for asking - even typing that makes me feel like the day has been better than I thought - it all just feels like a losing, never ending battle on days like today.
... some good work in there mate x

... some good work in there mate x

Thanks - its just the list of things which I haven't done, and especially the list of all the things which I know are going to go disastrously wrong, is much longer and much more front of mind than any of the good stuff.

Big struggle this last week or so. No energy, no interest, just want to sleep or feel like busting into tears all the time, everything that`s said by anyone is because of an ulterior motive even the bairn asking for her subs for guides, snapping at everyone who dare speak to me. Bloody hate times like this

Lots of positive things there to give you things to aim for, and as it's exercise/outdoor stuff it gives you a good reason to get out the door on the harder days...

Keep writing/typing in here, it does help just getting how you feel out there especially when you know there are people here listening.

Big struggle this last week or so. No energy, no interest, just want to sleep or feel like busting into tears all the time, everything that`s said by anyone is because of an ulterior motive even the bairn asking for her subs for guides, snapping at everyone who dare speak to me. Bloody hate times like this

Has anything brought it on or has it just came on from nowhere?

I know the 'blue monday' thing has become a bit of a gimmicky affair but it certainly seems to be the case that this time of the year is particularly difficult for those of us who struggle with our MH.

Last edited:
Lots of positive things there to give you things to aim for, and as it's exercise/outdoor stuff it gives you a good reason to get out the door on the harder days...

Keep writing/typing in here, it does help just getting how you feel out there especially when you know there are people here listening.

Has anything brought it on or has it just came on from nowhere?

I know the 'blue monday' thing has become a bit of a gimmicky affair but it certainly seems to be the case that this time of the year is particularly difficult for those of us who struggle with our MH.
No its been coming for a couple of weeks, thought i`d managed to head it off like i normally can but it just seems to have hit me a bit harder this time. Nowt out of the ordinary happening work or homewise mind I have cut right back on me smoking down to less than half a dozen a day now from about 40 and the docs still wont commit as to what the chest thing is just saying my readings are now borderline. But my heads been off in a cloud somewhere so i`ve made one or two cock ups at work which has had the gaffer moaning a bit and the tennants giving me grief and then the carry on with the car and the wrong fuel on sunday left me fighting meself a bit. Couldn`t even be bothered to do owt for me birthday yesterday.
Still, back to the small steps and finding the daft things to look forward to and i`ll be back to rights in a couple of week

No its been coming for a couple of weeks, thought i`d managed to head it off like i normally can but it just seems to have hit me a bit harder this time. Nowt out of the ordinary happening work or homewise mind I have cut right back on me smoking down to less than half a dozen a day now from about 40 and the docs still wont commit as to what the chest thing is just saying my readings are now borderline. But my heads been off in a cloud somewhere so i`ve made one or two cock ups at work which has had the gaffer moaning a bit and the tennants giving me grief and then the carry on with the car and the wrong fuel on sunday left me fighting meself a bit. Couldn`t even be bothered to do owt for me birthday yesterday.
Still, back to the small steps and finding the daft things to look forward to and i`ll be back to rights in a couple of week
Good luck mate!

I'm in full self pity mode at the moment, really don't see any sort of light for me but I suppose I'm doing nothing to change that.

Seems like a big thing when you look at everything together like that. Break it down into chunks and work through the chunks and that might help. Have a belated birthday hug xx

Good luck mate!

I'm in full self pity mode at the moment, really don't see any sort of light for me but I suppose I'm doing nothing to change that.

Right I'm giving you a kick up the arse! You have to join in Sunday club this week and post one positive thing you've done between now and then. Seriously do try and do something small just for you and see how you go. Take care pet xx

Last edited by a moderator:

Nothing that you've mentioned is major to worry about mate. Try not to fret about things. Stuff will happen, people will be ill tempered, just shrug it off , it's not personal.

Try and do one thing this week you wouldn't normally do to break the monotony, go for a swim, go see a film, go for a walk, whatever. Try and find something completely different to the norm and try and relax through it even if it's just an hour.

Good luck mate!

Tomorrow's another day. Aim for one thing, no matter how small... Just one good thing for yourself, then report back eh ?

Hope everyone is well.

Definitely agree on the exercise point. I played 5-a-side last night for the first time in ages, despite being crap, blowing out my arse after 15 minutes and stiff as a board today, I do feel more energised today and generally in a decent mood. Going to be a regular Wednesday thing so looking forward to finally a regular excerise routine.

Sunday Club: how's everyone doing?

Met the lovely @mackem_jo2 for a cuppa and a natter and really enjoyed it :cool:

Was quite ill for most of last year and jobs have built up around the house, so I've decided 2017 is going to be the year of decluttering and fixing things! Replaced a toilet seat with broken hinges on Friday so no more sitting braced on it in case the seat slid off :lol:

Sunday Club: how's everyone doing?

Met the lovely @mackem_jo2 for a cuppa and a natter and really enjoyed it :cool:

Was quite ill for most of last year and jobs have built up around the house, so I've decided 2017 is going to be the year of decluttering and fixing things! Replaced a toilet seat with broken hinges on Friday so no more sitting braced on it in case the seat slid off :lol:
I hate a wobbly bog seat. That's a good job done.

Swept the chimney,
Started the long job of tree shaping in our forest

Did a fair bit of tidying the veg plot & polytunnel
Dragged my arsed back to Parkrun (haven't been since October due to working & injuries) and managed a PB yesterday !!! Delighted !!
There's a couple of things you don't hear very often nowadays.

I'm doing ok today, had a colossal wobbler yesterday. Had a bloody good cry (hysterical if I'm honest) but am feeling all the better for it today. Good to distract yourself from stuff but sometimes just releasing & venting your feelings (in a safe fashion!!) does the power of good!

Enjoyed my cuppa with @becs the other day, looking forward to doing it again soon.

This week I will get myself to the gym, going to do a bit more work on finding something productive to do with my time. In a bit of a weird state at the moment, absolutely not well enough to get a job at the moment but at the same time struggling with having time on my hands & needing something to do that makes me feel worthwhile.

Most importantly this week I need to spend less time procrastinating! Feel free to give me a yell if it seems like I am!!

I'm doing ok today, had a colossal wobbler yesterday. Had a bloody good cry (hysterical if I'm honest) but am feeling all the better for it today. Good to distract yourself from stuff but sometimes just releasing & venting your feelings (in a safe fashion!!) does the power of good!

Enjoyed my cuppa with @becs the other day, looking forward to doing it again soon.

This week I will get myself to the gym, going to do a bit more work on finding something productive to do with my time. In a bit of a weird state at the moment, absolutely not well enough to get a job at the moment but at the same time struggling with having time on my hands & needing something to do that makes me feel worthwhile.

Most importantly this week I need to spend less time procrastinating! Feel free to give me a yell if it seems like I am!!

Sounds a similar situation to me , I've been off work since November and probably looking at march before I can go back - finally started to do a few jobs around the house last week but they are very long days home alone.

Next weeks jobs are a bit of furniture painting , tax returns , sort out moving bank accts around (for the free money offered), got Pip forms to complete and get the dogs injections sorted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back