Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing it for 4 years now with the TV, not great on the electricity bill but when I was first struggling it helped me doze off, it's not always effective but most nights it does seem to help.

What happens if you lose your marbles? :lol:

:lol:

I realised the irony of it after I posted. Give it a bash though, you can even physically slightly tilt your head back to "roll" them if it helps you visualise it.

I usually leave the TV on in the background with a comedy show on, usually helps most nights, helps me drift off but it's keeping my mind unoccupied thats the hardest.
Ive been reading up on sleeping and found some good advice that's helped me: Your mind is meant to be ticking over while your lying in bed falling to sleep so don't try to not think about things.

Ive been reading up on sleeping and found some good advice that's helped me: Your mind is meant to be ticking over while your lying in bed falling to sleep so don't try to not think about things.

I think it's more the content of my thoughts that can be the problem, I've always had a very active mind but that means bad things in my head can exaggerate very easily

Oh I can't drink alcohol either :lol:

It's just this time of year that gets to me a lot. It just makes me feel like a lonely waste of space.

My first bout of depression came at this time of year and the last couple I have found difficult, it probably doesn't help that the social aspect of Christmas involves a lot of drink and that's never a healthy thing for a depressive.

I think it's more the content of my thoughts that can be the problem, I've always had a very active mind but that means bad things in my head can exaggerate very easily

My first bout of depression came at this time of year and the last couple I have found difficult, it probably doesn't help that the social aspect of Christmas involves a lot of drink and that's never a healthy thing for a depressive.

Last bit is key

I'm similar at Christmas too. I think because I see the same people every year who I don't rest of year. It makes feel like I've achieved absolutely nothing in the year

Dreading it

But alcohol makes everything worse like

Last bit is key

I'm similar at Christmas too. I think because I see the same people every year who I don't rest of year. It makes feel like I've achieved absolutely nothing in the year

Dreading it

But alcohol makes everything worse like

Yes I can relate to that. As we get older we see our mates in social situations less frequently, Christmas is the one constant where everyone usually meets up at least once, for the third year running I'll be hanging out with newly-weds, mates who have had kids, bought houses, got engaged etc., and I'll be the one who's not even remotely close to any of this.

The drink is a killer like, rarely touch anything on any other day other than a Saturday, but I enjoy the social aspect of drinking, it's just the aftermath I struggle with, the come down, the tiredness and the feeling of self-loathing when you know you have been pissed and not everything is clear in your memory.

It's just this time of year that gets to me a lot. It just makes me feel like a lonely waste of space.

youre anything but that Becs. you are anything but that.

dont underestimate yourself. you are a hardworking single mam doing a fine job.

some man out there is missing a diamond

Becs, you're an absolute treasure. Have a hug
Social media is a twat for making people feel this way too... That and advertising... "Perfect....."
It's all wank.

Be nice to people, spend time with them and give them your attention.... better than all this "perfect" tripe

Sorry, I'm not very coherent tonight, posts sound better in me head but reading them back they're a bit weird

Last edited:
Alcohol is a tough one isnt it?

My group of friends and I have always been the types to only meet up for drinks. We dont really go out for meals (unless its lining the stomach) and we've completely stopped playing 5aside.

I'm not sure how it would be taken going out and having a few cokes. There'll probably be the odd bit of piss taking, but how long can you go out and be sober when every one else is half cut?

I'm back to see my therapist again on Thursday. Feel like we made a small amount of progress, actually getting in to the nitty gritty of what my condition is and how alot of the intrusive thoughts have manifested themselves.

Alcohol is a tough one isnt it?

My group of friends and I have always been the types to only meet up for drinks. We dont really go out for meals (unless its lining the stomach) and we've completely stopped playing 5aside.

I'm not sure how it would be taken going out and having a few cokes. There'll probably be the odd bit of piss taking, but how long can you go out and be sober when every one else is half cut?

I'm back to see my therapist again on Thursday. Feel like we made a small amount of progress, actually getting in to the nitty gritty of what my condition is and how alot of the intrusive thoughts have manifested themselves.

Pretty much the same as me, I can't remember the last time I saw one of my mates have a soft drink, by no means are we alcoholics but we all like a few pints when we meet up.

Another mostly sleepless night last night, feel terrible today, really empty and sickly, driving test tomorrow too which I'm not confident about so probably a bit of anxiety creeping in to how I feel.

After 20 or so years of peaks and major troughs, I've finally reached my lowest ebb and been to my GP and have spoken to Talking Changes (I think)... I have become so irritable and moody (not aggressive), and more so have absolutely no drive or energy that I have had to do something. My day consists of self deprecating, seeing everything as a criticism and a threat and turning all positives round in to negatives.

I am now enrolled on an online 'Coping with depression' course - hopefully it will help, though I won't hold my breath and have to return to the GP next week to see how I am getting on, where he may prescribe drugs.

I'm not at the point of self harm and have no intention of suicide, though the thought has momentarily entered and left my head; I have two gorgeous twin toddlers, I just want them to have the Dad I can and should be...

After 20 or so years of peaks and major troughs, I've finally reached my lowest ebb and been to my GP and have spoken to Talking Changes (I think)... I have become so irritable and moody (not aggressive), and more so have absolutely no drive or energy that I have had to do something. My day consists of self deprecating, seeing everything as a criticism and a threat and turning all positives round in to negatives.

I am now enrolled on an online 'Coping with depression' course - hopefully it will help, though I won't hold my breath and have to return to the GP next week to see how I am getting on, where he may prescribe drugs.

I'm not at the point of self harm and have no intention of suicide, though the thought has momentarily entered and left my head; I have two gorgeous twin toddlers, I just want them to have the Dad I can and should be...

Good luck mate, the first step is always the hardest but I am sure in the coming weeks you will feel the weight begin to leave your shoulders.

Sorry to hear that mate. You've done the right thing though by reaching out for help.

Are you on a waiting list for therapy? Im not an expert, but doctors throwing tablets at things isnt always the option. It can help people in many different ways, but ultimately isnt the answer.

Just remember there are always people there to talk, including lots of us on this forum.

Sorry to hear that mate. You've done the right thing though by reaching out for help.

Are you on a waiting list for therapy? Im not an expert, but doctors throwing tablets at things isnt always the option. It can help people in many different ways, but ultimately isnt the answer.

Just remember there are always people there to talk, including lots of us on this forum.
Not sure tbh, I should receive a letter from the referral place with everything on. I'll avoid tablets if possible.

Well I went to the GP yesterday to get my blood pressure monitoring results. They weren't as bad as I'd thought, but still high.
She reckoned lifestyle changes would sort it out but as I don't eat processed foods, don't smoke, don't eat meat, drink within recommended limits and do take regular exercise, there wasn't much wiggle room..... She reckoned it's hormone induced anxiety so has put me on low dose antidepressants for a month to see if there's improvement in my anxiety.

I was gutted and I cried.... Been med free for 10 years....
Going to give them a go though, probably better than suffering a stroke or heart attack.....

Well I went to the GP yesterday to get my blood pressure monitoring results. They weren't as bad as I'd thought, but still high.
She reckoned lifestyle changes would sort it out but as I don't eat processed foods, don't smoke, don't eat meat, drink within recommended limits and do take regular exercise, there wasn't much wiggle room..... She reckoned it's hormone induced anxiety so has put me on low dose antidepressants for a month to see if there's improvement in my anxiety.

I was gutted and I cried.... Been med free for 10 years....
Going to give them a go though, probably better than suffering a stroke or heart attack.....

Sorry to hear that. It's for the best with blood pressure though. My Dad had high blood pressure for years and I've often wondered if that was a contributing factor to his heart attack and stroke. Hope you are ok xx

On an almost natural comedown now I think.
Feel a bit meh about this time of year anyway to be honest.
It's 30 years since I last saw my Dad this Christmas coming up.
I was 8 at the time & my older brother was 12.
My kids are also 8 & 12 this time round - odd & almost coincidental.
As much as I despise my father for his absense since, (as well as a load of other stuff I'll refrain from going into) I can kind of empathise with the whole pressure that comes with the present buying side of things.
Admittedly it's a pressure you put on yourself from within to conform with society if anything.
I barely even buy items for myself normally, either in shops or online, so it's completely an alien concept almost to have to purchase stuff for others :eek:

Roll on January when this whole period of time is done, dusted, & out of the way :rolleyes::cool::lol:

Last edited:
While I wasn't diagnosed with depression more so anxiety, well anyhow to cut a long story short after taking Lexapro for the best part of 6 years I'm not medication free.

It was my Dad's year anniversary a few weeks ago and in that time I made the decision to break up with my missus (ex now)

I've been fine the past 3 or 4 weeks with limited or no contact with my ex, to great disbelief only on Saturday she now has a new boyfriend (completely not her type, pure rebound situation too) because only 3 weeks back she was begging me to take her back and so on.

I'm actually not too bad (as I said I was perfectly fine prior to hearing she had a new boyfriend) but at the same time I'm kind of down over it, look she wasn't making me happy, she promised to change but I didn't give her the chance too! Not saying I want her back, but I'm livid and feel extremely let down how she could just hop into a new relationship with a bloke who likes something out of Deliverance.............

Should I go back on the meds or just ride out the storm? As I said I don't want her back, well I don't think I do because it was me who finished with her. But it's pissing me off big time!

I've have felt the weight shift, but here's a distance to go. I know it sounds ridiculous but I just want to be normal.[/QUOTE]
We're all abnormal & normal at the same time. I spend a lot of time talking to my missus about her depression (it's particularly bad at the minute). I keep telling her whatever she is is whatever she is going to be. Normal is a state of mind induced by all sorts of outside influences. It's an illness the same as heart disease, COPD or any other intrusive ailment. Combat it in the way you would any other with all the help you can get!

NB I am not particularly good at the "talking/listening thing" I'm thinking of starting a help group for people prone to say "Cheer up, it's not that bad!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back