Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved Diazapam.
Can completely understand why so many become addicted to it.
As for Venlafaxine, be careful on it.
Even though it's fairly widely prescribed it still tends to be a second line of meds after a first attempt of something else hasn't helped.
The 'black box warning' on it is arguably more appropriate & to be taken extremely seriously according to a lot of studies of it compared with other antidepressants.

Just try & take a step back & be proud of any simple basic little achievement you make.
Even if it's simply getting out of bed, making yourself a cuppa, eating a bowl of soup etc.
You've done something worthwhile & productive.

One of the proudest times I've ever had was back in 2009 when I had 15 sessions of cognitive analytical therapy & I managed to attend all of them on time as scheduled.
Not only that but i cycled from Houghton to Ryhope & back on each occasion.
Looking back from a normal healthy state of mind it was an absolute piece of piss in theory, but at the time it seemed like such a huge accomplishment & massively helped my recovery from a suicide attempt as a result.
Bit of fresh air, nice countryside areas around Burdon & Seaton Village etc.
Keep things simple & basic is quite often the best way, & don't beat yourself up if you do have a shit day or two.
There's always tomorrow for a good one.

I found one of my work books from cbt a while ago , had to list three things you would achieve before next meeting in a weeks time

Mine were take the dog to the vet (anal glands iirc)
Get dressed
Brush teeth and wash face every day

Quite sad reading it how those simple things become such massive things they're overwhelming when you're in 'that place'

I've very stupidly run out of happy pills and can't get to the doctors til Saturday.

Feeling the effects now but is there a way to get some before then?

If you regularly get them from the same pharmacy they might loan you a few days to tide you over if you ask nicely

If you regularly get them from the same pharmacy they might loan you a few days to tide you over if you ask nicely
as above, make sure you've requested the repeat and its to be sent to them or collected by their driver
just phone the doctor up and ask for a repeat. if it is a cd phone the pharmacy you use (if you've signed up with them) and ask them to request a repeat or again if cd ask them to collect the scipt and get it dispensed. nobody wants to see anybody going without medication they need

I was suffering really badly from anxiety, panic attacks and depression, I was unable to work or do shopping it was that bad........ sorry I wanted to tell my story but just thinking about it has made me has made me cry so i'll try another time. Its a horrible illness but i'll be alright in a few minutes.

I was suffering really badly from anxiety, panic attacks and depression, I was unable to work or do shopping it was that bad........ sorry I wanted to tell my story but just thinking about it has made me has made me cry so i'll try another time. Its a horrible illness but i'll be alright in a few minutes.
Take your time.
Crying isn't a bad thing sometimes......

I was on Sertraline for a while and they really helped.

They can take a while to kick in mind you. Did your Doctor ask to see you in a weeks time? They should have done to review how you're doing. In terms of counselling, its the best thing you can do. Trust them as the independent third party they are. They are there to listen and try and provide solutions. Any questions, feel free to PM me.

Wasn't expecting to feel the way I did yesterday off sertraline, not to bad today though.
I need to go back to the doctors in 3 weeks for a review and I'm going to ring counselling on Friday when I feel a bit more used to sertraline, Its taking me ages to write a reply :D

Hope you are ok xx

My panic attacks started in the last year of school. I passed out in chemistry because I was unwell with what turned out to be a kidney infection. I made an almighty clatter and a mess as I fell off my stool and cleared the bench on the way down :oops:

Then I had massive panic attacks triggered by the thoughts that I was going to pass out and make a fool of myself again. It was a real struggle going to school and I couldn't face doing my GCSE's and being "trapped" in the exam hall. I ended up sitting them in an office by myself and a teacher supervising as that's the only way I could cope. I'm ok most of the time now and have sat exams in halls since. If I do feel one coming on, I've got coping strategies that are so good now that I can usual chase it off before I have to leave a room or whatever. It tends to be unusual things that make me worry more, like that trip to London I did by myself recently. Having the crohns has helped a lot as if I did need to leave a room quickly, I'd blame it on my bowel as that's more acceptable in society than mental health. See chronic illnesses can be useful sometimes :D

Thank you @becs and @Bad_mother it caught be by surprise there its amazing how thinking a certain way can bring the symptoms on.

I've been on Citalopram daily for over a year and have propranolol to take before I encounter a stressful situation like a meeting at work, although the propranolol does slow my heart rate down it doesn't stop my mind racing at a million miles an hour, the citalopram is really helpful for me though.

My symptoms began due to too much stress at work and in life, I had nowhere to turn for a rest and something seemed to give way in my mind and I started having anxiety and panic attacks and feeling weepy. My doctor referred me for over the phone counciling and I received an information pack by post, it was really helpful so I decided to go back to work but on the condition I didn't have to attend any meetings and could go to a quiet room if I had symptoms. I'm back on my feet now but still have some shaky moments now and then. Becs I totally understand your feeling of being trapped ive had to run out of a supermarket as fast as I can after throwing the shopping I already done to the floor.
Since this has happened to me there has been absolutely loads of people come forward and tell me they have the same illness even people im close to who I'd had no idea they had it. There are some amazing people on this forum like yourself who are like a rock and listen and help so I just wanted to say thank you to you all. I struggle to read this thread as it makes me feel depressed but I'll try to dip in when I can.

I've been on Citalopram daily for over a year and have propranolol to take before I encounter a stressful situation like a meeting at work, although the propranolol does slow my heart rate down it doesn't stop my mind racing at a million miles an hour, the citalopram is really helpful for me though.

Just something else to think about - is your heart really racing? I've had that when I've felt like it was beating really fast. However I wear a Fitbit which has a heart rate monitor. I've checked it when I've felt like my heart was racing and it's just beating as normal according to my Fitbit. Think it's just my head playing tricks on me. That has given me an edge on telling the panic to go away as I know now that I'm not physically having the symptoms I think I'm having. Try taking your pulse next time and see what it is like.

Just something else to think about - is your heart really racing? I've had that when I've felt like it was beating really fast. However I wear a Fitbit which has a heart rate monitor. I've checked it when I've felt like my heart was racing and it's just beating as normal according to my Fitbit. Think it's just my head playing tricks on me. That has given me an edge on telling the panic to go away as I know now that I'm not physically having the symptoms I think I'm having. Try taking your pulse next time and see what it is like.
Good advice Becs I will try that.

The best thing ive learned (for me) is the words 'It Will Pass' when I start to panic I tell myself in my mind that it will pass, it works for me.

just man up, no pills necessary :neutral:
Wish it was that easy, ive always been very happy go lucky but these days without the pills I wouldn't be able to work or do general everyday things like shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back