Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's really awful shit. If we're all recommending books and stuff about it, then I'd recommend the two Black Dog books by Matthew Johnstone:

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1845295897/

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1845297431/

They'll each take about 10 minutes to read, but it's the best material I've ever read about the subject.

I've had two really bad depressive episodes in my life. Both lasted about 2 months, and one had a clear reason behind it, and one - very recently - didn't, really. I think the sentiment is fantastic that people say they want to look out for signs of depression in others and to help them when that happens but, at least as far as I'm concerned, I think the kindest thing you can do is just to let people who mean something to you know that that's the case, whether they're prone to depression or not. Obviously the episodic bouts are something else, but I don't think there's a clear dividing line between depressed / not depressed and even when I'm not bad, as I'm not most of the time, it's nice to feel that you're valued. The only thing that brought me out of my second bad spell was realising that loads of people cared about me, that they loved me. I just needed to be told.

Im not normally a shy fella...bit I am struggling a bit to find the right thing to say......

Spent a fair few hours tonight reading this....my boy is here

All I can say for now is Ive wept reading the stuff that has been written ...but the sprit of help and concern throughout this thread toward eachother is great to see

LOVE

I've been in two minds about whether to post in this thread, but I'm inspired and humbled by some of the experiences so here's my two pennorth.
After 5 clear years, stress and anxiety hit me like a hammer in October. After about 3 weeks of trying to deny it to myself and everyone else and pass it off as tiredness my body just gave up and I could barely do anything. The doctor at first insisted that I didn't need any medication, and it wasn't until i almost collapsed when I took the bairn to see the Christmas lights switch-on that my wife finally accepted something was wrong and sent me back to the doc. Anyway after a rough few months and the quietest Christmas I've ever had (I missed MON's first game which broke my heart, when Vaughan's goal went in I could have cried that I'd missed it), I thought I'd turned the corner, and arranged to go back to work. I go back on Thursday and the thought of the bus, then the metro to Newcastle is filling me with dread.
I'm going to go though, anxieties arse won't kick itself! :lol:

That's the spirit lad and you will look back and laugh at yourself for being so silly. Go for it.

The England cricket team dressing room must've been a right laugh on their last tour. At least 3 players were suffering from mental health issues :eek:

It's really awful shit. If we're all recommending books and stuff about it, then I'd recommend the two Black Dog books by Matthew Johnstone:

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1845295897/

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1845297431/

They'll each take about 10 minutes to read, but it's the best material I've ever read about the subject.

I've had two really bad depressive episodes in my life. Both lasted about 2 months, and one had a clear reason behind it, and one - very recently - didn't, really. I think the sentiment is fantastic that people say they want to look out for signs of depression in others and to help them when that happens but, at least as far as I'm concerned, I think the kindest thing you can do is just to let people who mean something to you know that that's the case, whether they're prone to depression or not. Obviously the episodic bouts are something else, but I don't think there's a clear dividing line between depressed / not depressed and even when I'm not bad, as I'm not most of the time, it's nice to feel that you're valued. The only thing that brought me out of my second bad spell was realising that loads of people cared about me, that they loved me. I just needed to be told.

good books the, hav read them

Well I've finally read through all of the thread having read about half of it when I posted then completely avoided it since as to be totally honest I was embarrassed. I just want to echo what everyone has said about it being a brilliant, heartwarming experience to read about people opening up with their problems and people offering support, advice and kindness, it restores faith in humanity. There are so many good posts, things that totally resonate with me and I can fully relate to, some posts are like someone has gone into my head and put my thoughts down into words on the screen. There are so many posts I want to reply to, I just don't have the time. All I can say is good luck and thanks to everyone.

I'm a Cognitive Therapist, and work with a number of clients suffering from depression. If anyone is looking for a specific CBT book on depression, I would heartily recommend this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beat-Blues-...3334/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326787078&sr=8-1

The courage and honesty on this thread has been fantastic. The only thing I would take issue with is Kev SAFc FTM's post 502 about him being a strong personality and his depressed wife a lot softer. I know it's difficult to come across clearly in an impersonal medium like emails, but despite your obvious geunine concern for your wife, such strong/weak cliches simply replicate the problem. Depression is nothing at all to do with weakness. It is a set of thinking patterns and/or a genetic/physiological condition. You wouldn't call someone weak if they had diabetes, nor would the likes of Alistair Campbell or Ricky Hatton normally be dismissed as oversensitive pushovers.

With all sincere respect, it is the stereotypical, uninformed view that depression is indeed just a personality weakness that makes sufferers often too ashamed or embarrassed to ask for help, with often tragic consequences.

Incidentally, if anyone is struggling with this issue, feel free to send me a pm and I will try to point you in the right direction for support.

Last edited:
I'm a Cognitive Therapist, and work with a number of clients suffering from depression. If anyone is looking for a specific CBT book on depression, I would heartily recommend this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beat-Blues-...3334/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326787078&sr=8-1

The courage and honesty on this thread has been fantastic. The only thing I would take issue with is Kev SAFc FTM's post 502 about him being a strong personality and his depressed wife a lot softer. I know it's difficult to come across clearly in an impersonal medium like emails, but despite your obvious geunine concern for your wife, such strong/weak cliches simply replicate the problem. Depression is nothing at all to do with weakness. It is a set of thinking patterns and/or a genetic/physiological condition. You wouldn't call someone weak if they had diabetes, nor would the likes of Alistair Campbell or Ricky Hatton normally be dismissed as oversensitive pushovers.

With all sincere respect, it is the stereotypical, uninformed view that depression is indeed just a personality weakness that makes sufferers often too ashamed or embarrassed to ask for help, with often tragic consequences.

Incidentally, if anyone is struggling with this issue, feel free to send me a pm and I will try to point you in the right direction for support.

I think he just meant that he's got better coping skills regarding the bumps that come along in life. While not being a guarantee of anything, shirley that does give him a greater degree of "protection" than someone who's less able to cope?

Anyone heard of EMDR (Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing) therapy?

There was a piece about it on 5Live today, with an expert and some "happy customers" who'd got great relief in not much time. One was a woman who'd suffered all sorts of mental grief in the years following the murder of one of her children.

It was originally developed for treating psychological trauma, but it was mentioned that it had also shown good results for depression.

If you're a sufferer, it might be worth mentioning to your GP as an alternative/supplement to tablets. Especially if the depression relates to bad things happening in your life. The expert went to great lengths to point out that "trauma" covers the normal bad stuff that happens in life, as well as the really extreme things that (for example) soldiers experience.

definately the best thing to do, i moved out into the countryside down south away from all my friends and family to have a bit of time to sort myself out. the hardest part is letting loved ones know without feeling like a bit of an attention seeker. worst thing about it for me is that in third world countries theres people struggling to survive and yet i cant even enjoy the simple pleasures of life.

things have definately been improving the last six months, ive also found i stop getting nostalgia so much and can look back fondly on the past without feeling the best days are gone. nostalgia is a sign of minor depression imo.

Just do it mate, just do it.

And what's wrong with needing attention? We all need attention IMHO. It's another inevitable part of being human.

Glad things are looking up for you, hope the upward path continues.

Miss Robinson likes this a lot

My mate has finally admitted the problem , the change in her is breathtaking - one life , make it count

this is probably the biggest step anyone can take, before you can begin to try to sort anything out you have to admit that you have a problem.
took me a good while to finally accept it (knew i was out of sorts for a long time but would not admit it to myself) and stop lying to myself.
it is just like any other disease, when you know you are not well you seek help.

ayesane said:
no but you have an inclination to get depressed, is what I mean. It's no different to those who have been diagnosed with depression.

I have an inclination to secretly strangle nuns should I give into it or fight it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back