Depford -finally to reach its potential?

From what I read it's more like the people who run San Marino are shutting it down and opening a new business at Hanover Place which is not San Marino/an Italian, but a completely different food offer. Surprising in a way because SM always seemed to be really well thought of as an Italian but they know their business better than me.
They already run the new business at Hanover Place. Sounded to me like they were moving San Marino into it and just ceasing to have the Chester road one.

Are you local? My point being: they’re successful on the basis the majority of customers are repeat visitors and they will know most of them to an extent.
Generally, the streets around the place are full of cars for those who drive there for food.
I can’t see how that scenario differs greatly from the other location.
But rent, amenity, potential etc must be better for them to have made this decision.
It is.
Too late...the riviera is now the place to go
Not for long. We can live without the queen vic mate.

Peacock, engine room, dun cow , tilleys, sports bar, isis , vaults , kings arms , hp and saltgrass
I'm not convinced the Engine Room is a pub and will probably be less so when the auditorium opens. I've never got away with Tilleys for some reason but can't put my finger on it.
Hanover Place also struggles for identity. Is it a pub, a restaurant or a venue?
Still a decent little route though. I've always tended to start in Deptford and work my way up.

Who in their right mind is going to want to eat outdoors though once the pandemic is over? Apart from the 10 days a year we usually get in the north east when the weather is nice enough.
Can’t help thinking this is a bit of a short sifted move personally.

I’ve got no urge to even have a drink, I didn’t sit outside in April on a night in Portugal or Majorca, although it is May now, it’s still got no appeal at all.

I'm not convinced the Engine Room is a pub and will probably be less so when the auditorium opens. I've never got away with Tilleys for some reason but can't put my finger on it.
Hanover Place also struggles for identity. Is it a pub, a restaurant or a venue?
Still a decent little route though. I've always tended to start in Deptford and work my way up.
Never been in hannover place , went in when it was winstons and doyles , know what you mean , threw tilleys in for mischief , know a lot of the real purists will knock it , its ok , not a pub i go to often but handy for watching football ..suppose you could start in the ivy , taxi to the saltgrass and work back , include Fitzgerald's then

Tried San Marino’s once after it being bigged up by a friend and both in service and food it was absolute shite.
Maybe we just caught it in a rare bad night.
You did. Its good and new SM will be too
Would have to be halves in each of them. Otherwise I'd never complete that.
Aye same these days
Peacock, engine room, dun cow , tilleys, sports bar, isis , vaults , kings arms , hp and saltgrass
All good bar tilleys.

Last edited:
Still a canny hike from the vaults to the kings arms on foot. Suppose you could always pop into home bargains on the way down for some cheap Balkan lager for the journey 😂

Back