Depford -finally to reach its potential?

Will the Ropery finally become busy again or is it too far from the other pubs

Good question. It will be cut-off by the new road but also benefit from a vastly increased passing trade.
I don’t think it will be successful as part of a circuit, but could be as a destination pub if the offering is carefully tailored to suit its new surroundings.

Will the Ropery finally become busy again or is it too far from the other pubs
I’ve been asking myself that same question for 20 years mate!
Aye. Got to assume they own the Chester Road building so can go back if they need.
Just doesn’t seem right, in normal times that restaurant is busy Monday - Sunday. Good food, nice little place, probably a load of local regulars who keep it busy on weeknights. There’s no way I’d give that up so I could sit folk outside in a new location.

Last edited:

Just doesn’t seem right, in normal times that restaurant is busy Monday - Sunday. Good food, nice little place, probably a load of local regulars who keep it busy on weeknights. There’s no way I’d give that up so I could sit folk outside in a new location.
It's bigger premises down Deptford tho. It's a cracking space and should do well. I doubt the outside space played much part.

Are you local? My point being: they’re successful on the basis the majority of customers are repeat visitors and they will know most of them to an extent.
Generally, the streets around the place are full of cars for those who drive there for food.
I can’t see how that scenario differs greatly from the other location.
But rent, amenity, potential etc must be better for them to have made this decision.

Good question. It will be cut-off by the new road but also benefit from a vastly increased passing trade.
I don’t think it will be successful as part of a circuit, but could be as a destination pub if the offering is carefully tailored to suit its new surroundings.
It should be a cracking place

Are you local? My point being: they’re successful on the basis the majority of customers are repeat visitors and they will know most of them to an extent.
Generally, the streets around the place are full of cars for those who drive there for food.
I can’t see how that scenario differs greatly from the other location.
But rent, amenity, potential etc must be better for them to have made this decision.
Hanover Place beats the current premises on pretty much every level I can think of.

I've been told San Marino restaurant from Chester Road is relocating down there.

From what I read it's more like the people who run San Marino are shutting it down and opening a new business at Hanover Place which is not San Marino/an Italian, but a completely different food offer. Surprising in a way because SM always seemed to be really well thought of as an Italian but they know their business better than me.

Back