Depeche Mode - RIP Fletch

Indeed. And MG. I’m hitting the drugs & booze this weekend... in the name of 'self preservation', of course.

He's right. Why not just fuck off to any other thread where you'll be just as appreciated eh?
Wise move.

Seriously though, gutted about this. They've got a consistently great catalogue, but the 1-2 punch at the start of the 90s of Violator and Songs of Faith And Devotion - I would put up against anyone.

No need. I’m biased as I’ve always loved them but they are hugely influential and offered a subversive darker edge to electronic pop. An absolutely seminal band and really talented musicians.
Absolutely hated them as a young kid obsessed with Rush and Rainbow. Saw them as nothing more than one fingered synth players playing pap Pop. BUT, roll on a few years later and I love a load of their stuff....including those early "pap Pop" years. Especially loved the darker stuff. Wish I`d got to see them live.

Wise move.

Seriously though, gutted about this. They've got a consistently great catalogue, but the 1-2 punch at the start of the 90s of Violator and Songs of Faith And Devotion - I would put up against anyone.
I doubt many have a four album run as good as Black Celebration, Music for the Masses, Violator and Songs of Faith and Devotion. Massive part of my youth and life to be honest. Genuinely sad tonight.
Absolutely hated them as a young kid obsessed with Rush and Rainbow. Saw them as nothing more than one fingered synth players playing pap Pop. BUT, roll on a few years later and I love a load of their stuff....including those early "pap Pop" years. Especially loved the darker stuff. Wish I`d got to see them live.
Brilliant live, lucky enough to see them on numerous occasions.

Last edited:
Absolutely shit that it’s the end of an era but on the positive side my first ever gig was them at their peak, the ‘101’ tour at Whitley Bay Ice Rink. My life would probably be different if I hadn’t been influenced by DM. Met mates I’ve grew up with because they were into Depeche and New Order then got into acid house/techno that DM themselves influenced massively. Unbelievably important group.

Absolutely shit that it’s the end of an era but on the positive side my first ever gig was them at their peak, the ‘101’ tour at Whitley Bay Ice Rink. My life would probably be different if I hadn’t been influenced by DM. Met mates I’ve grew up with because they were into Depeche and New Order then got into acid house/techno that DM themselves influenced massively. Unbelievably important group.
2nd only to New Order imho

I was there at whitley bay I thought it was the music for the masses tour, could be wrong but if I recall the lass from the support band had her boobs out round about 1988?

Back