Denver Hume

He crosses like he's kicking an old brown leather caser too often, he's not alone in that as evidenced by the number of corners we get that don't even beat the first man. When he did get near post crosses in for Wyke, only desperate defending prevented more goals. One of the criticisms levelled at McGeady was that he halted play and slowed down attacks, Hume was doing that a lot last night but that is part of playing a more varied role than charging on the overlap.
His touch is excellent and when he does take the game to defenders he is a real threat. The move to 3 at the back has helped him enormously as defending is not his strength. On the whole there is more to like than not, he has clear potential and is definitely one to nurture as he will improve and if we can get promoted, this season will get him prepared for a higher level, hopefully with us.

Our best outlet.
Some cracking balls to him, where he always finds space.
His movement to pick up the ball and to beat defenders is great.
Final ball tonight wasn't the best though.
Really, he is our most attacking threat, and as a, team we know this and are so organised now and play to this tactic.
We have width. He links well with Gooch too.

Our most imp player.

I just don’t rate him in the slightest.

He can carry the ball, but his final ball is shocking, he’s weak, barely challenges for headers and is constantly being talked through the game by the left centre back.

He went through a spell of looking dangerous but I think he needs some time out of the team, personally.

Last edited:

He can carry the ball, but his final ball is shocking, he’s weak, barely challenges for headers and is constantly being talked through the game by the left centre back.

He went through a spell of looking dangerous but I think he needs some tome out of the team, personally.
Some of our fans are mental (Imo).
The same ones who didn't rate PVH. Just before we sold him for 16 million.
I really don't think a lot of our fans understand football.

He goes past people so easily at times, if his crossing was a bit better and Wyke was a bit better, we’d be a lot more successful from now till the end of the season.

He went through a spell of looking dangerous but I think he needs some tome out of the team, personally.
This...I tried to give the lad plenty of time before I give an opinion on him, but he really needs to grow a pair of balls. He's weak as piss and his overall play lacks confidence and bravery. His crosses are more hit and hope and his defending is very worrying and that's being kind..

Ah, the old ‘you disagree with me so you don’t understand football’ line.
I think it's fairly obvious that the 16 million that Palace paid for pvh, after we paid 1.5 mill a few yrs before, shows the level of intellect on understanding football by our fans, as pvh was regularly the most slagged off on here.

And yes, if you disagree that DH is not one of our most creative threats, one of the players we look to get the ball to most, who is always out wide hugging the wing, who generally beats his man and puts in numerous crosses every game, and you don't think he is good at it, you don't understand football.
This...I tried to give the lad plenty of time before I give an opinion on him, but he really needs to grow a pair of balls. He's weak as piss and his overall play lacks confidence and bravery. His crosses are more hit and hope and his defending is very worrying and that's being kind..
He was and is easily our most creative player.

Last edited:
I think it's fairly obvious that the 16 million that Palace paid for pvh, after we paid 1.5 mill a few yrs before, shows the level of intellect on understanding football by our fans, as pvh was regularly the most slagged off on here.

And yes, if you disagree that DH is not one of our most creative threats, one of the players we look to get the ball to most, who is always out wide hugging the wing, who generally beats his man and puts in numerous crosses every game, and you don't think he is good at it, you don't understand football.

TBF the system we play allows him to hug the touchline a d blast forward for the majority of the game. Especially at home agaisnt poor teams. Agaisnt the better teams, he gets pegged back a little and his defensive positioning leaves alot to be desired. Last night he got caught ball watching and lead to Dale having a great chance.

He needs to improve his consistency in terms of delivery. Gets in great positons but alot of crosses are wrong type. Needs to increase strength too. DH would struggle big time playing in a back 4 as a stand alone left back. Needs to develop that side IMO. We may not play wingbacks forever.

Nah Maguire and Gooch are more creative.

He wont get an easier game than last night and he was still lacking...

TBF the system we play allows him to hug the touchline a d blast forward for the majority of the game. Especially at home agaisnt poor teams. Agaisnt the better teams, he gets pegged back a little and his defensive positioning leaves alot to be desired. Last night he got caught ball watching and lead to Dale having a great chance.

He needs to improve his consistency in terms of delivery. Gets in great positons but alot of crosses are wrong type. Needs to increase strength too. DH would struggle big time playing in a back 4 as a stand alone left back. Needs to develop that side IMO. We may not play wingbacks forever.
Agree with a lot of that marra.
He's nowhere nr the finished article.
It's his first season playing regularly and will improve.
He's gonna make mistakes.
The problem with our fans is that cos DH is our most creative player regularly (and he is against stronger teams like Ipswich too), that they see him on the bsll more, and his final balls often could be better (though this could also be due to poor movement from our attackers like Wyke!),so they think he's too weak.
Nah Maguire and Gooch are more creative.
Sorry. Yes, maguire and Gooch create more imp chances, hume is our most sought out player to get the ball to, in our formation, to get crosses in (and like I said, I think a lot of his issues on final ball is due to poor movement by Wyke)
We use him far more than onien.
He puts in more crosses per game than any player, and his goal creation will improve lots.

He is a more imp player than onien atm (who I also rate).
I just can't understand how anyone can think he is poor!
(and btw, I understand he has flaws and needs improvement)
He wont get an easier game than last night and he was still lacking...
Lacking?
In final distribution maybe.
He put in loads of crosses. Had loads of the ball.
Wouldn't surprise me if he had more touches of the ball in the oppo half than any Safc player.

Last edited:
Sometimes his first time delivery is exceptional I think so as good as his touch is and he can use it to get at someone I’d be happier to see him just fizz it in early on for us to attack. The assist he got for O’Nien a few weeks back is a good example of it.

Put 2 fantastic balls in last night that should have been goals - there was one that was driven in low to Wyke virtually from the corner flag, which was only just turned away for a corner before it reached Wyke for a tap.

He went through a spell of looking dangerous but I think he needs some time out of the team, personally.

Spot on here - could do with a break.

Gets in great positions but his final ball is lacking most of the time. Hopefully he will add consistency to his crosses, decision making in the final third.

Back