Dentist deep cleaning

Just had the dentist asking if i wanted to book in for a deep clean afer a check up. I was thinking aye can do until he said they can give injections so it doesn't hurt as much. Anyone had it done, and is it meant to be bad?
Been a smoker , he said it might help my gums, but i have only ever had the normal cleaning at the end of check ups. Worth it?

Nah,

Friend of the family is a dentist and he is of the opinion that a scale and polish is part of the standard examination and anything else offered is a con.

I was referred to a hygienist once, but after the second visit she tried to book me in again for 30 days time for another £35, I thought, they're taking the mick here, especially when my checkup showed nothing wrong at all.

My dentist sold up and moved to another practice, and I followed him there. Next appointment and all was fine again. So I asked if he was going to refer
me to a hygienist again. He looked rather sheepish and explained that when he'd sold the previous practice the new owners insisted that all patients were offered hygiene treatment and pushed into tooth whitening/cosmetic services.

A standard examination is £17, but once your private they can charge what they like.

Nah,

Friend of the family is a dentist and he is of the opinion that a scale and polish is part of the standard examination and anything else offered is a con.

I was referred to a hygienist once, but after the second visit she tried to book me in again for 30 days time for another £35, I thought, they're taking the mick here, especially when my checkup showed nothing wrong at all.

My dentist sold up and moved to another practice, and I followed him there. Next appointment and all was fine again. So I asked if he was going to refer
me to a hygienist again. He looked rather sheepish and explained that when he'd sold the previous practice the new owners insisted that all patients were offered hygiene treatment and pushed into tooth whitening/cosmetic services.

A standard examination is £17, but once your private they can charge what they like.
Mmmmm...interesting . Cheers for that. I'm al for it, if it helps, but have never ever been mentioned before.

Had one done tonight, with the pointy thing and the water spray, was fine until they got to the inside of one of my bottom teeth (that hurt a little tbh). Asked about whitening, he said £250 which seems a tad pricey (but its a tailored treatment where they make moulds and provide the chemicals etc).

Nah,

interesting that.

our old dentist retired few month back and a new bloke took over the practice.
all of a sudden I'm in for a deep clean and a 3 month call back!!!

old dentist used to clean them as part of the check up cost. new bloke charged an extra £37 ish on top for the deep clean. fkng chancer :mad:

edit: he also said I would get numbing injections, I got fk all.

interesting that.

our old dentist retired few month back and a new bloke took over the practice.
all of a sudden I'm in for a deep clean and a 3 month call back!!!

old dentist used to clean them as part of the check up cost. new bloke charged an extra £37 ish on top for the deep clean. fkng chancer :mad:
Mine does a quick clean as part of the check up but our lass has a bit of crossing on her bottom teeth and you can't even get a flossing tape through them so he recommended her to see the hygienist, we have been seeing him for 4 or 5 years and it's the first time he has mentioned it so it isn't like he is habitually trying to rip us off.

Back