Denis Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jocky

Midfield
Hello Lads

Just been discussing Den on another thread, and his contribution as manager to Sunderland football club....

When Den took over in 1987 he inherited a club at the lowest of low ebbs, a side recently relegated to what is now League 1, and with an over paid ageing squad.

I personally think Smith's performance at our club goes under the radar with some, and to an extent he saved the club from potential ruin and enticed a new wealth of supporters back to Roker Park and subsequently SOL in the following decade, also he brought through a lot of youngsters who also forged great careers in the game.

If the wrong appointment was made at the time of Den's appointment god knows where or what we would be now.

Used to pop in to see Denis for a cuppa when he lived at Sherburn House. Lovely bloke.

Hello Lads

Just been discussing Den on another thread, and his contribution as manager to Sunderland football club....

When Den took over in 1987 he inherited a club at the lowest of low ebbs, a side recently relegated to what is now League 1, and with an over paid ageing squad.

I personally think Smith's performance at our club goes under the radar with some, and to an extent he saved the club from potential ruin and enticed a new wealth of supporters back to Roker Park and subsequently SOL in the following decade, also he brought through a lot of youngsters who also forged great careers in the game.

If the wrong appointment was made at the time of Den's appointment god knows where or what we would be now.
One f the better managers we had...proper bloke.

Was working in Scotland in 1990 the digs i was staying in my landlady came up knocked on my door and told me to put BBC2 on,turns over and here's Denis Smith getting interviewed outside Roker Park announcing Swindons' irregularities and that we'd been promoted to the top flight,i went out and got fkn bladdered, i pissed the bed in the digs but it was my landladys fault for telling me to turn the tele over.

Was working in Scotland in 1990 the digs i was staying in my landlady came up knocked on my door and told me to put BBC2 on,turns over and here's Denis Smith getting interviewed outside Roker Park announcing Swindons' irregularities and that we'd been promoted to the top flight,i went out and got fkn bladdered, i pissed the bed in the digs but it was my landladys fault for telling me to turn the tele over.

Great story from a great guy

Hello Lads

I kna a good story bout the Denis smith / marco affair if you want to pm. Jockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back