Demolition of Roker Park - Viewer Discretion Advised

I didn't go to the last ever game and have avoided the area ever since.

Taxi drivers think I'm crazy when I tell them how to get to the SOL from the Harbour View or the sea front.

In my mind the ground is still there and I can walk around every inch as I did when it was there.

Taxi drivers think I'm crazy when I tell them how to get to the SOL from the Harbour View or the sea front.

In my mind the ground is still there and I can walk around every inch as I did when it was there.

I know what you mean, I knew every inch of that ground. When we were kids and it was a shit game (and there were a lot in the late 70's/early 80's) we would wait until they opened the gates then leave the Fulwell end and go into another part of the ground.

It had never actually occurred to me that I had not been to where Roker Park was since it closed either. Now I'm thinking it's something I need to do.

I’ve never been around there since they tore it it down, and I’ve no intentions of ever doing so. Some memories are too precious to be besmirched by the passage of time and progress.

You’re not alone. Until I moved away in 2002, I never once went near RP. Memories of the old girl remain intact.

Same here marra.

Valley Parade reminded me of Roker Park yesterday. Was having a bit reminisce all by myself.

I remember going to the auction day and buying a few bits and pieces,including turf from the Roker End penalty area. I stood in the middle of the pitch just looking around at the place,with all the memories it held for me having attended with my Dad and family since the age of five.

Driving away from the place for the final time was a strange experience,especially with a hatchback full of trays of turf :D and knowing it was the last time I’d visit. I went straight over to the new stadium,which helped me accept it was time for the club and me as a supporter to move into a new era. I loved Roker,and although it may be gone,the memories live on.

Back